Regulatory regimes and accountability
Article first published online: 14 MAR 2007
2007 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 8–26, March 2007
How to Cite
May, P. J. (2007), Regulatory regimes and accountability. Regulation & Governance, 1: 8–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2007.00002.x
- Issue published online: 14 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 14 MAR 2007
- Accepted for publication 3 July 2006.
- 2000) The Dialectics of Accountability for Performance in Public Management Reform. International Review of Administrative Sciences 66, 45–55. , (
- 1992) Responsive Regulation: Transcending the Deregulation Debate. Oxford University Press, New York. , (
- 1982) Going by the Book: The Problem of Regulatory Unreasonableness. Temple University Press, Philadelphia. , (
- 2001) Rethinking Democratic Accountability. Brookings Institution Press, Washington. (
- 1990) Setting Safety Standards: Regulation in the Public and Private Sectors. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- 2003) Management-Based Regulation: Prescribing Private Management to Achieve Public Goals. Law and Society Review 37, 691–730. , (
- 2003) Performance-Based Regulation: Prospects and Limitations in Health, Safety, and Environmental Regulation. Administrative Law Review 55, 705–724. , , (
- 2001) Environmental Policy as Learning: A New View of an Old Landscape. Public Administration Review 61, 322–334. (
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) (1998) Memorandum to all Field In-Plant Personnel: On-Going HACCP Implementation. FSIS, US Department of Agriculture, Washington, 1998 Feb 13; 1 p. [Cited 8 May 2005.] Available from URL: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/haccp/memo213.htm.
- 2000) Improved Nuclear Power Plant Operations and Safety Through Performance-Based Safety Regulation. Journal of Hazardous Materials 17, 219–237. (
- 2004) Bureaucracy and Democracy: Accountability and Performance. CQ Press, Washington. , (
- 1998) Smart Regulation: Designing Environmental Policy. Oxford University Press, New York. , (
- 2002) Leaders and Laggards: Next-Generation Environmental Regulation. Greenleaf Publishing, Sheffield, UK. , (
- 2001) The Government of Risk: Understanding Risk Regulation Regimes. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , , (
- 1994) The Death of Common Sense: How Law Is Suffocating America. Random House, New York. (
- 2004) Accountability and Transparency in Regulation: Critiques, Doctrines, and Instruments. In: JordanaJ, Levi-FaurD (eds) Politics of Regulation: Institutions and Regulatory Reforms for the Age of Governance, pp. 124–144. Edward Elger, Cheltenham, UK. (
- 2001) Voluntary Approaches to Environmental Regulation. In: FranziniM, NicitaA (eds) Economic Institutions and Environmental Policy, pp. 75–120. Ashgate Publishing, Aldershot, UK. , (
- 2006) Accountability and Institutional Design: Some Thoughts on the Grammar of Governance. In: DowdleM (ed.) Public Accountability: Designs, Dilemmas and Experiences, pp. 115–156. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- 2002) Social Regulation. In: SalamonLM (ed.) The Tools of Government: A Guide to the New Governance Handbook, pp. 156–187. Oxford University Press, New York. (
- 1984) Congressional Oversight Overlooked: Police Patrols versus Fire Alarms. American Journal of Political Science 28, 165–179. , (
- 2002) US Presentation to the Convention on Nuclear Safety of the Second Review Meeting of the Convention on Nuclear Safety. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington; NRC News No.: S-02–013. (
- 2000) ‘Accountability:’ An Ever-Expanding Concept? Public Administration 78, 555–573. (
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) (2000) Life Safety Code 101, 2000 ed. NFPA, Quincy, MA.
- New Zealand Building Industry Authority (2002) Report of the Overview Group on the Weathertightness of Buildings. Chaired by DonHunn. Building Industry Authority, Wellington.
- New Zealand House of Representatives, Government Administration Select Committee (2003) Inquiry into the Weathertightness of Buildings in New Zealand. Chaired by Dianne Yates. Government Printer, Wellington.
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) (2001) Update of the Risk-Informed Regulation Implementation Plan. SECY-01–0218, Policy Issue Memorandum dated 16 November 2001. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington.
- 2004) Corruption and Regulatory Structures. Law and Policy 26, 329–346. (
- Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD) (2003) Voluntary Approaches for Environmental Policy: Effectiveness, Efficiency, and Usage in Policy Mixes. OECD, Paris.
- 2003) As Inspectors, Some Meatpackers Fall Short. New York Times 10 October: p. A1, 21. , (
- 2004) The Regulation Dilemma: Cooperation and Conflict in Environmental Governance. Public Administration Review 64, 152–163. , (
- 1987) Accountability in the Public Sector: Lessons from the Challenger Tragedy. Public Administration Review 47, 227–238. , (
- 2000) Cross Pressures of Accountability: Initiative, Command, and Failure in the Ron Brown Plane Crash. Public Administration Review 60, 240–253. , (
- 2000) Accountability in the Regulatory State. Journal of Law and Society 27, 38–60. (
- 2000) The Regulatory Craft: Controlling Risks, Solving Problems, and Managing Compliance. Brookings, Washington. (
- Supreme Beef Processors Inc. v. United States Department of Agriculture, 275 F3d 432 (2001).
- US General Accountability Office (USGAO) (2000) Nuclear Regulation: Regulatory and Cultural Changes Challenge NRC. GAO/T-RCED-00–115, Testimony of Ms Gary L. Jones before the Subcommittee on Clean Air, Wetlands, Private Property and Nuclear Safety, Committee on the Environment and Public Works, US Senate. 9 March 2000.
- US General Accountability Office (USGAO) (2002) Meat and Poultry: Better USDA Oversight and Enforcement of Safety Rules Needed to Reduce Risk of Foodborne Illnesses. Government Accountability Office, Washington; GAO-02–902.
- 1980) The Politics of Regulation. In: WilsonJQ (ed.) The Politics of Regulation, pp. 357–394. Basic Books, New York. (