Does border enforcement deter unauthorized immigration? The case of Mexican migration to the United States of America
Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2007
2007 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 1, Issue 2, pages 139–153, June 2007
How to Cite
Cornelius, W. A. and Salehyan, I. (2007), Does border enforcement deter unauthorized immigration? The case of Mexican migration to the United States of America. Regulation & Governance, 1: 139–153. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2007.00007.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2007
- Accepted for publication 28 November 2006.
- 2000) The Wall Around the West: State Borders and Immigration Controls in North America and Europe. Rowman and Littlefield, Lanham, MD. , (
- 2007) Unauthorized Migration. In: WatersM, UedaR (eds) The New Americans, pp. 70–82. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. , (
- 1994) Illegal Mexican Migration and the United States/Mexico Border: The Effects of Operation Hold-the-Line on El Paso and Juárez. U.S. Commission on Immigration Reform, Washington, DC. , , , , , , (
- 2004) Trends in Mexican Migration to the United States, 1965–1995. In: DurandJ, MasseyDS (eds) Crossing the Border: Research from the Mexican Migration Project, pp. 17–44. Russell Sage Foundation, New York. , (
- 2005) International Migration, Self-Selection, and the Distribution of Wages: Evidence from Mexico and the United States. Journal of Political Economy 113, 239–281. , (
- 1976) Outmigration from Rural Mexican Communities. In: The Dynamics of Migration: International Migration. Occasional Monograph Series, Vol. 2, No. 5, ICP Work Agreement Reports. Interdisciplinary Communications Program, pp. 1–40. Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC. (
- 1991) Labor Migration to the United States: Development Outcomes and Alternatives in Mexican Sending Communities. In: Díaz-BriquetsS, WeintraubS (eds) Regional and Sectoral Development in Mexico as Alternatives to Migration, pp. 89–131. Westview, Boulder, CO. (
- 1998) Ejido Reform: Stimulus or Alternative to Migration? In: CorneliusWA, MyhreD (eds) The Transformation of Rural Mexico, pp. 89–131. Center for U.S.-Mexican Studies, University of California, San Diego, CA. (
- 2001) Death at the Border: Efficacy and Unintended Consequences of US Immigration Control Policy. Population and Development Review 27, 661–685. (
- 2005) Controlling ‘Unwanted’ Immigration: Lessons from the United States, 1993–2004. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 31, 775–794. (
- CorneliusWA, LewisJM (eds) (2006) Impacts of Border Enforcement on Mexican Migration: The View from Sending Communities. Lynne Rienner Publishers/Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, Boulder, CO and San Diego, CA.
- 2005) Immigration and Politics. Annual Review of Political Science 8, 99–119. , (
- CorneliusWA, EspenshadeTJ, SalehyanI (eds) (2001) The International Migration of the Highly Skilled. Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- CorneliusWA, TsudaT, MartinPL, HollifieldJF (eds) (2004) Controlling Immigration: A Global Perspective, 2nd edn. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA.
- CorneliusWA, FitzgeraldD, Lewin-FischerP (eds) (2007) Mayan Journeys: The New Migration from Yucatán to the United States. Lynne Rienner Publishers/Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, Boulder, CO and San Diego, CA.
- 2004) Women and Men on the Move: Undocumented Border Crossing. In: DurandJ, MasseyDS (eds) Crossing the Border: Research from the Mexican Migration Project, pp. 111–130. Russell Sage Foundation, New York. , (
- 1995) Using INS Border Apprehension Data to Measure the Flow of Undocumented Migrants Crossing the U.S.-Mexico Frontier. The International Migration Review 29, 545–565. (
- 1995) Migrant Cohort Size, Enforcement Effort, and the Apprehension of Undocumented Aliens. Population Research and Policy Review 14, 145–172. , (
- 1994) Can Liberal States Control Unwanted Migration?. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 534, 17–30. (
- 2002) Winners and Losers: Politics and the Costs and Benefits of Migration. In: MessinaAM (ed.) West European Immigration and Immigrant Policy in the New Century, pp. 77–96. Praeger, Westport, CN. (
- 2000) Immigration and European Integration: Towards Fortress Europe? Manchester University Press, Manchester, UK. (
- 2000) A Reappraisal of the State Sovereignty Debate: The Case of Migration Control. Comparative Political Studies 33, 163–195. , (
- 1992) Diversity and Community in Transnational Migration: A Comparative Study of Two Mexico-U.S. Migrant Circuits (PhD Dissertation). Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. (
- 2001) Political Economy, Sectoral Shocks, and Border Enforcement. Center for Comparative Immigration Studies, University of California, San Diego, CA. Working Paper No.: 44. Available from URL: http://www.ccis-ucsd.org/PUBLICATIONS/wrkg44.PDF/ , (
- 2000) The Politics of International Migration: How Can We ‘Bring the State Back In?’. In: BrettelC, HollifieldJF (eds) Migration Theory: Talking Across the Disciplines, pp. 137–185. Routledge, New York. (
- 1998) Why Liberal States Accept Unwanted Immigration. World Politics 50, 266–293. (
- KyleD, KoslowskiR (eds) (2001) Global Human Smuggling: Comparative Perspectives. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2004) Immigration and Politics in the New Europe: Reinventing Borders. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 1981) Developing a Community Tradition of Migration: A Field Study in Rural Zacatecas, Mexico, and California Settlement Areas, Monograph No. 3. Center for U.S.-Mexican Studies, University of California, San Diego, CA. (
- 1996) The End of the Nation State: The Rise of Regional Economies. Touchstone, New York. (
- 2004) The Effect of U.S. Border Enforcement on the Crossing Behavior of Mexican Migrants. In: DurandJ, MasseyDS (eds) Crossing the Border: Research from the Mexican Migration Project, pp. 281–298. Russell Sage Foundation, New York. (
- 2002) Holding the Line? The Effect of the Recent Border Build-Up on Unauthorized Migration. Public Policy Institute of California, San Francisco, CA. , , (
- 2003) Security and the Political Economy of International Migration. American Political Science Review 97, 603–620. (
- 2006) National Security and Immigration: Policy Development in the United States and Western Europe Since 1945. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA. (
- 1996) Losing Control? Columbia University Press, New York. (
- 1999) The New Economics of Labour Migration and the Role of Remittances in the Migration Process. International Migration 37, 63–88. (