Do markets enhance convergence on international standards? The case of financial regulation
Article first published online: 30 SEP 2007
2007 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 295–311, December 2007
How to Cite
Chey, H.-K. (2007), Do markets enhance convergence on international standards? The case of financial regulation. Regulation & Governance, 1: 295–311. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2007.00020.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 30 SEP 2007
- Accepted for publication 30 July 2007.
- BCBS (Basel Committee on Banking Supervision) (1997) Core Principles for Effective Banking Supervision. [Last accessed 11 Oct 2004.] Available from URL: http://www.bis.org/publ/bcbs30a.htm.
- BCBS (Basel Committee on Banking Supervision) (2004) G10 Central Bank Governors and Heads of Supervision Endorse the Publication of the Revised Capital Framework. [Last accessed 22 Oct 2005.] Available from URL: http://www.bis.org/press/p040626.htm.
- 1991) Banks Owe a Debt to the Exclusive AAA Club. The Times (London) 5 Mar. (
- BIS (Bank for International Settlements) (1992) Report on International Developments in Banking Supervision, Report No. 8. BIS, Basel.
- BOMA (Bureau of Monetary Affairs) (1992) Woguo Jinrong Zhidu Yu Zhengce [The Financial System and Financial Policies of the Republic of China on Taiwan]. BOMA, Ministry of Finance, Republic of China, Taipei.
- BOMA (Bureau of Monetary Affairs) (1996a) Caizhengbu Jinrongju Bashisinian Nianbao [1995 Annual Report of the Bureau of Monetary Affairs, Ministry of Finance]. BOMA, Ministry of Finance, Republic of China, Taipei.
- BOMA (Bureau of Monetary Affairs) (1996b) Woguo Jinrong Zhidu Yu Zhengce (Bashisanian Xiudingban) [The ROC Financial System and Policy]. BOMA, Ministry of Finance, Republic of China, Taipei.
- 2000) Private Actors on the Rise? The Role of Non-State Actors in Compliance with International Institutions. MPI Collective Goods Preprint 2000/14. Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods, Bonn. (
- 2003) Racing to the Bottom: International Trade without a Social Clause. Third World Quarterly 24, 1011–1028. , (
- 2006a) Explaining Cosmetic Compliance with International Regulatory Regimes: The Implementation of the Basle Accord in Japan, 1998-2003. New Political Economy 11, 271–289. (
- 2006b) Compliance with International Regulatory Regimes: The Basel Capital Adequacy Accord in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, 1988–2003. Unpublished PhD thesis, London School of Economics and Political Science, London. (
- CutlerAC, HauflerV, PorterT (eds) (1999) Private Authority and International Affairs. State University of New York Press, Albany.
- 2006) Banking on the Principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and Bank Soundness. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3954. World Bank, Washington, DC. , , (
- 2001) Globalization and Policy Convergence. International Studies Review 3, 53–78. (
- 2002) Who Rules? State Power and the Structure of Global Regulation. Paper presented at the 98th Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Sep 2002, Boston, MA. (
- 2003) Clubs, Neighborhoods and Universe: The Governance of Global Finance. Paper presented at the 2003 Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Aug 2003, Philadelphia. (
- 2005) Globalization, Harmonization, and Competition: The Different Pathways to Policy Convergence. Journal of European Public Policy 12, 841–859. (
- 2005) On Waves, Clusters, and Diffusion: A Conceptual Framework. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 598, 33–51. , (
- 2000) Plumbers and Architects. FSA Occasional Paper 4. Financial Services Agency, London. (
- 1997) State of Siege: Will Globalization Win Out? International Affairs 73, 123–136. (
- 2003) Constructing the International Foundations of E-Commerce: The EU-US Safe Harbor Arrangement. International Organization 57, 277–306. (
- FFH (First Financial Holdings) (2003) Global Depositary Shares Offering Circular. FFH, Taipei.
- 1998) International Norm Dynamics and Political Change. International Organization 52, 887–917. , (
- Fitch Ratings (2003) Are Credit Ratings Correlated with Regulatory Capital? [Last accessed 19 Jun 2004.] Available from URL: http://www.fitchratings.com/corporate/reports/report.cfm?rpt_id=190744§or_flag=3&marketsector=1&detail=.
- FSF (Financial Stability Forum) (2000) Report of the Follow-up Group on Incentives to Foster Implementation of Standards. [Last accessed 12 Aug 2002.] Available from URL: http://www.fsforum.org/publications/Report_Incentives01.pdf.
- FSF (Financial Stability Forum) (2001) Final Report of the Follow-up Group on Incentives to Foster Implementation of Standards. [Last accessed 12 Aug 2002.] Available from URL: http://www.fsforum.org/publications/Final_Incentives01.pdf.
- 2001) Global Financial Governance and the Problem of Inclusion. Global Governance 7, 411–426. (
- 2004) Globalising Accountability within the International Organisation of Credit: Financial Governance and the Public Sphere. Global Society 18, 217–242. (
- 2000) Strengthening the International Financial Architecture: Where Do We Stand? Paper presented at KIEP/NEAEF Conference on Regional Financial Arrangement in East Asia: Issues and Prospects, 10–11 Aug 2000, Honolulu. (
- 1998) The Role of Capital in Optimal Banking Supervision and Regulation. FRBNY Economic Policy Review 4, 163–168. (
- GrusonM, ReisnerR (eds) (2000) Regulation of Foreign Banks: United States and International. LEXIS Publishing, New York.
- 2004) The Role of Credit Rating Agencies. Standard & Poor’s. [Last accessed 20 Apr 2006.] Available from URL: http://www.adbi.org/files/2004.11.18.cpp.credit.rating.agencies.pdf. (
- HallRB, BierstekerTJ (eds) (2002) The Emergence of Private Authority in Global Governance. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2002) Compliance and International Soft Law: Why Do Countries Implement the Basle Accord? Journal of International Economic Law 5, 647–688. (
- 2001) Globalization and Policy Convergence: Symposium Overview. Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: Research and Practice 3, 127–132. (
- IMF (International Monetary Fund) (2004) Financial Sector Regulation: Issues and Gaps. [Last accessed 20 Aug 2005.] Available from URL: http://www.imf.org/external/np/mfd/2004/eng/080404.pdf.
- 2000) Japan Premium and Stock Prices: Two Mirrors of Japanese Banking Crises. NBER Working Paper 7997. National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA. , (
- JCIF (Japan Center for International Finance) (1999) Characteristics and Appraisal of Major Rating Companies. [Last accessed 13 Dec 2003.] Available from URL: http://www.jcif.or.jp/pdf/e981228.pdf.
- JCIF (Japan Center for International Finance) (2000) Characteristics and Appraisal of Major Rating Agencies. [Last accessed 13 Dec 2003.] Available from URL: http://www.jcif.or.jp/pdf/RATING2000.pdf.
- JCIF (Japan Center for International Finance) (2001) Characteristics and Appraisal of Major Rating Companies. [Last accessed 13 Dec 2003.] Available from URL: http://www.jcif.or.jp/pdf/e0223.pdf.
- 2002) Financial Regulatory Harmonization and the Globalization of Finance. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 2919. World Bank, Washington, DC. , (
- 1994) Governing the Global Economy: International Finance and the State. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (
- 2006) Architects of Stability? International Cooperation among Financial Supervisors. BIS Working Paper 199. Bank for International Settlements, Basel. (
- 2000) The New Capital Adequacy Framework: Institutional Constraints and Incentive Structures. IMF Working Paper WP/00/93. International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC. , (
- KEB (Korea Exchange Bank) (1991) BIS Eunhaeng Jagi Jabon Gyuje Haeseol [An Introduction to the BIS Capital Adequacy Standard]. KEB, Seoul.
- 2004) Hanguk-ui Eunhaeng 100nyeonsa [The 100-year History of Korean Banks]. Sanha, Seoul. , , , , (
- 2005) The Global Diffusion of Regulatory Capitalism. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 598, 12–32. (
- 1991) Quicksilver Capital: How the Rapid Movement of Wealth Has Changed the World. Free Press, New York. , (
- Moody’s (Moody’s Investors Service) (1999a) Rating Methodology: Bank Credit Risk (An Analytical Framework for Banks in Developed Markets). [Last accessed 1 Oct 2003.] Available from URL: http://www.moodys.com/moodys/cust/research/venus/Publication/Rating%20Methodology/noncategorized_number/44246.pdf.
- Moody’s (Moody’s Investors Service) (1999b) Rating Methodology: Bank Credit Risk in Emerging Markets (An Analytical Framework). [Last accessed 1 Oct 2003.] Available from URL: http://www.moodys.com/moodys/cust/research/MDCdocs/18/2000400000301534.pdf.
- 2003) Attempting Global Standards: National Governments, International Finance, and the IMF’s Data Regime. Review of International Political Economy 10, 331–362. (
- 2005) Private Governance for the Public Good? Exploring Private Sector Participation in Global Financial Regulation. Paper presented at the Financial Innovation: Markets, Cultures and Politics conference, Jun 2005, London School of Economics and Political Science, London. (
- 1998) Redistributive Cooperation: Market Failure, Wealth Transfer, and the Basle Accord. International Organization 52, 35–54. , (
- OBS (Office of Bank Supervision) (1991) Eunhaeng Jabon Gyuje-e Gwanhan Gugjejeog Tongil Gijun (BISgijun) Ui Gugnae Doib Chujin [The Plan to Adopt the BIS Capital Adequacy Standard]. Gamdog Eobmu Jeongbo [Financial Supervision News] 46. OBS, Bank of Korea, Seoul.
- OBS (Office of Bank Supervision) (1992) Eunhaeng Gamdogweon Gyujeong Tongcheobjib [Banking Regulations]. OBS, Bank of Korea, Seoul.
- 2001) The Democratic Deficit in the Institutional Arrangements for Regulating Global Finance. Global Governance 7, 427–439. (
- RonitK, SchneiderV (eds) (2000) Private Organizations in Global Politics. Routledge, London.
- 1992) BIS Jagi Jabon Biyul Gyuje Ganghwahanda [Government Strengthens the BIS Standard Regulations]. Geumyung Gyeongje [Finance Economics] 16, 96–99. (
- 2001) The International Politics of Harmonization: The Case of Capital Market Regulation. International Organization 55, 589–620. (
- 2006) The Future of Central Bank Cooperation. BIS Working Paper 200. Bank for International Settlements, Basel. (
- 2004) Capital Rules: The Domestic Politics of International Regulatory Harmonization. International Organization 58, 531–565. (
- 1989) Urinara Eunhaeng-ui Gugjehwa [The Internationalization of Korean Banks]. Research Report. Korea Development Institute, Seoul. , (
- S&P (Standard & Poor’s) (2003) Basel II: No Turning Back for the Banking Industry. [Last accessed 27 Jun 2004.] Available from URL: http://www.securitization.net/pdf/sp_baselIIbanking_22Aug03.pdf.
- 1996) The Retreat of the State: The Diffusion of Power in the World Economy. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. (
- 2001) Financial System Standards and Financial Stability: The Case of the Basle Core Principles. IMF Working Paper WP/01/62. International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC. , , (
- Thomson’s International Banking Regulator (1991) Review Loan Risk Weighting Rules Under Accords, Supervisors Urged. Vol. 1, No. 40, 25 Oct.
- TRC (Taiwan Ratings Corporation) (2004) Taiwan Ratings Corporation Rating Criteria: Bank Ratings Methodology. [Last accessed 21 Jun 2004.] Available from URL: http://www.taiwanratings.com/en/criteria/banks.shtm.
- 2003) Preference Formation, Negotiations, and Implementation: Japan and the Basle Capital Accord. Unpublished PhD thesis, London School of Economics and Political Science, London. (
- 2001) Two Paths to Financial Liberalization: South Korea and Taiwan. The Pacific Review 14, 241–267. (
- 2003) The Private Sector, International Standards and the Architecture of Global Finance. In: UnderhillGRD, ZhangX (eds) International Financial Governance Under Stress, pp. 283–301. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , (
- 2002) Domestic Institutions, Liberalization Patterns, and Uneven Crises in Korea and Taiwan. The Pacific Review 15, 409–442. (