Regulation through titling laws: A case study of occupational regulation
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Author Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 2, Issue 3, pages 340–359, September 2008
How to Cite
Carpenter, D. M. (2008), Regulation through titling laws: A case study of occupational regulation. Regulation & Governance, 2: 340–359. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2008.00041.x
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2008
- Accepted for publication 2 June 2008.
- 1988) The System of Professions. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 1979) The Rise of Professionalism. British Journal of Law and Society 6, 82–98. (
- 1986) The Decline of Professionalism? Modern Law Review 49, 1–41. (
- 1995) Lawyers in Society: An Overview. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) (2004) The Interior Design Profession: Facts and Figures. ASID, Washington, DC.
- ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) (2006) ASID: Protecting Your Right to Practice. Design Directions pp. 14–16.
- ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) (n.d.-a) Health, Safety, and Welfare. [Last accessed 18 Jul 2006.] Available from URL: http://www.asid.org/NR/rdonlyres/B88AF67C-2C31-4E0C-A68A-37D5D74345D8/164/HealthSafetyandWelfare2.pdf.
- ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) (n.d.-b) What is An Interior Designer. [Last accessed 19 Jul 2006.] Available from URL: http://www.asid.org/NR/rdonlyres/B88AF67C-2C31-4E0C-A68A-37D5D74345D8/158/Whatisaninteriordesigner2.pdf.
- American Society of Interior Designers Tennessee Chapter (2006) ASID Board Meeting. Author, Brentwood, TN.
- Anonymous (2005) Title Bout. Kitchen and Bath Business 52, 28.
- 1976) Professions and Monopoly: A Study of Medicine in the United States and Great Britain. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- 1990) The Welfare State, the Professions and Citizens. In: TorstendahlR, BurrageM (eds) The Formation of Professions, pp. 114–133. Sage, London. (
- 2006) A Letter from the President. Design Directions p. 4. (
- 1990) The Professionalization of Brazilian Scientists, the Brazilian Society for the Progress of Science (SBPC), and the State, 1948–1960. Social Studies of Science 20, 473–502. (
- 1991) Practical Knowledge and Occupational Control: The Professionalization of Architecture in the United States. Sociological Forum 6, 239–268. (
- 1990) A legal leg for designers. New York Times 2 Aug (Sect.1C). (
- 1995) Interior designers push for state licensing. Capital Times 13 Sep (Sect. 3A). (
- 1981) Occupational Restrictions and the Quality of Service Received: Some Evidence. Southern Economic Journal 47, 959–976. , (
- 1990) Changing Conceptions in the Sociology of the Professions. In: TorstendahlR, BurrageM (eds) The Formation of Professions, pp. 11–23. Sage, London. (
- 2000) Interior Designers. Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Office of Policy and Research, Denver, CO. (
- 1990) Law: Defining Interior Design. Progressive Architecture 71, 41. (
- 1990) The Costs and Benefits of Occupational Regulation. Federal Trade Commission, Washington, DC. , (
- 1987) “A Respectable Profession?” Sociological and Economic Perspectives on the Regulation of Professional Services. International Review of Law and Economics 7, 51–64. , (
- 2002) The Impact of Periodicals on the Perception of Interior Design as a Profession. Paper presented at the Interior Design Educators Council Annual Conference, Santa Fe, AZ. Interior Design Educators Council. (
- 2008) Defining Interior Design: Professional Vocabulary vs. Professionals Vocabulary. Paper presented at the Interior Design Educators Council Annual Conference, Montreal, Quebec. Interior Design Educators Council. (
- 1972) The Sociology of the Professions. Macmillan, London. (
- 1999) ELSA—Interior designers debate bill; in senator’s proposal, a state board sets standards and requires registration. Times-Picayune 15 May (Sect. R1). (
- 1970) Profession of Medicine: A Study in the Sociology of Knowledge. Dodd, Mead, and Company, New York. (
- 1986) Professional Powers. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 2001) Professionalism: The Third Logic. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 1987) Architects fight D.C. law licensing interior designers. Washington Post 24 Apr (Sect. F1). (
- 1986) The Effect of Commercial Practice Restrictions: The Case of Optometry. Journal of Law and Economics 29, 165–186. (
- 1987) Beyond Monopoly. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. (
- 1993) Design line. Houston Chronicle 24 Jan, Lifestyle section, p. 6. (
- 1983) The Theory of “Rent Seeking”: Some Reflections. Canadian Journal of Economics 16, 539–554. (
- 2004) A View from the Margin: Interior Design. Design Issues, 20, 32–42. (
- 1988) Senate Staff Analysis and Economic Impact Statement on SB 127. Florida State Senate, Tallahassee, FL. (
- 1972) Professions and Power. MacMillan, London. (
- 2001) Does Incrementalism Stem from Political Consensus or from Institutional Gridlock? American Journal of Political Science 41, 1319–1340. , (
- 2005) Iowa interior designers soon to be licensed. Iowa State Daily 7 Jun. (
- 2006) Licensing Occupations: Ensuring Quality or Restricting Competition. Upjohn Institute, Kalamazoo, MI. (
- 2000) Does Regulation Affect Economic Outcomes?: The Case of Dentistry. Journal of Law and Economics 43, 547–582. , (
- 1988) Unionizing and Licensing of Public School Teachers: Impact on Wages and Educational Output. In: FreemanRB, IchniowskiC (eds) When Public Sector Workers Unionize, pp. 305–319. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. , (
- 1987) License to design. Washington Post 19 Feb (Sect. T12). (
- 1964) Incremental Decision-Making and Antitrust Policy. Southwestern Social Science Quarterly 45, 239–248. (
- 1977) The Rise of Professionalism: A Sociological Analysis. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. (
- 1984) The Production of Expertise and the Constitution of Expert Power. In: HaskellT (ed) The Authority of Experts, pp. 28–80. Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN. (
- 1991) Remodeling? Whom do you call? Newsday 1 Aug, 82. (
- Legislative Briefs (2001) Birmingham News.
- Legislative Record (1993) Maine State Legislature, 116th Regular Sess. Augusta, ME.
- 1995) Countervailing Powers: A Framework for Professions in Transition. In: JohnsonT, LarkinG, SaksM (eds) Health Professions and the State in Europe, pp. 25–44. Routledge, London. (
- 1997) The Swedish Experiment. Journal of Economic Literature 35, 1273–1319. (
- 1980) The Impact of Regulation on Quality: The Case of California Contractors. In: RottenbergS (ed) Occupational Licensure and Regulation, pp. 399–413. American Enterprise Institute, Washington, DC. (
- 2000) Interior Motives. Architecture 89, 134–135. (
- Minnesota Interior Design Legislative Action Committee (2003) Summary of Proposed Interior Design Legislation. [Last accessed 20 Oct 2007] Available from URL: http://www.asidmn.org/home/mid-cif/cifid-home-8.html.
- Minutes of meeting (1999) Louisiana House of Representatives, 1999 Regular Sess. Baton Rouge, LA.
- 2005, Fall) Legislative Update. Design Directions, p. 20. (
- National Academy of Sciences Committee on Occupational Classification and Analysis (ed) (1981) Dictionary of Occupational Titles, 4th edn. US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC.
- 1991) Review of Occupational Registration and Licensing for Interior Designers. State Reorganization Commission, Columbia, SC. (
- 1984) Physician Licensure Legislation and the Quality of Medical Care. Atlantic Economic Journal, 12, 18–30. (
- 2007) Dear Members of NHIDC. New Hampshire Interior Design Coalition, Bristol, NH. (
- 2001) From Trust to Political Power: Interest Groups, Public Choice, and Health Care. Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law 26, 1146–1163. (
- 1974) Some Evidence on Occupational Licensing and Occupational Incomes. Social Forces 53, 102–111. (
- Proceedings (1983a) Connecticut State Senate. Connecticut General Assembly, Hartford, CT.
- Proceedings (1983b) Connecticut House of Representatives. Connecticut General Assembly, Hartford, CT.
- Proceedings (1983c) Connecticut State Legislature. Connecticut General Assembly, Hartford, CT.
- Proceedings (2002) Kentucky House of Representatives, 2002 Regular Sess. Kentucky House of Representatives, Lexington, KY.
- 2007) President’s Message. Inside 9(Winter), 1–8. (
- 1989) Review of Senate Bill 305 Which Proposes to License Interior Designers in Georgia. Georgia Occupational Regulation Review Council, Atlanta, GA. (
- 1980) Introduction. In: RottenbergS (ed) Occupational Licensure and Regulation, pp. 1–10. American Enterprise Institute, Washington, DC. (
- Senate Committee on Licensing and Occupations (2002) Audio Recording of Committee Hearings. Kentucky Legislative Research Commission, Frankfurt, KY.
- 1986) Investment, Moral Hazard, and Occupational Licensing. Review of Economic Studies 53, 843–862. (
- 1978) Licensing Restrictions and the Cost of Dental Care. Journal of Law and Economics 21, 187–201. (
- 1982) Production of Licensing Legislation: An Economic Analysis of Interstate Differences. Journal of Legal Studies 11, 117–137. (
- 2005) The Professional Status of Designers: A National Survey of How Designers are Perceived. Design Journal, 8, 52–60. , (
- 2004) States and the Politics of Incrementalism: Health Policy in Wisconsin During the 1990s. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 29, 269–291. (
- 1973) Job Market Signaling. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 87, 355–374. (
- 1998) Why Don’t Some People Complain? A Cognitive-Emotive Process Model of Consumer Compliant Behavior. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 26, 172–189. , (
- 1983) Between Incrementalism and Revolution. American Behavioral Scientist 26, 291–311. (
- 2003) State Regulation: Captured Victorian-Era Anachronism or “Re-Enforcing” Autonomous Structure? Perspectives on Politics 1, 291–306. (
- 1967) The Welfare Costs of Tariffs, Monopolies, and Theft. Western Economic Journal 5, 224–232. (
- 2001) Medicare and the Politics of Incrementalism. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law 26, 153–161. (
- 2006) A Voice from the Silent Masses: An Exploratory and Comparative Analysis of Noncomplainers. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 34, 514–527. , , (
- Washington State Department of Licensing (2005) Sunrise Review of Interior Designers. Author, Olympia, WA.
- 2006) Defining Ourselves. Perspective pp. 26–34. (
- 1983) The Emergence of Modern Universities in France, 1863–1914. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. (
- 2005) Politics or Public Interest? Licensing and the Case of Respiratory Therapists. Perspectives on Work 8, 42–43. (
- 2001) Legislative deadlock senate standoff imperils bills as session nears end. Birmingham News 19 May. (
- 2003) The Social Standing of the Design Professions: An Intercultural Comparison. Journal of Intercultural Studies 24, 115–135. , (
- 2007) Dear ASID Member. American Society of Interior Designers, Washington, DC. (