An evaluation of the quality of impact assessment in the European Union with lessons for the US and the EU
Article first published online: 11 DEC 2008
© 2008 The Authors Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 405–424, December 2008
How to Cite
Cecot, C., Hahn, R., Renda, A. and Schrefler, L. (2008), An evaluation of the quality of impact assessment in the European Union with lessons for the US and the EU. Regulation & Governance, 2: 405–424. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2008.00044.x
- Issue published online: 11 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 11 DEC 2008
- Accepted for publication 17 September 2008.
- 1993) Breaking the Vicious Circle: Toward Effective Risk Regulation. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA. (
- 2007) Executive Order 13,422: Further Amendment to Executive Order 12,866 on Regulatory Planning and Review. Public Papers of the Presidents. General Printing Office, Washington, DC. (
- 1993) Regulatory Planning and Review, Executive Order 12,866. General Printing Offic, Washington, DC Available from URL: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/executive-orders/pdf/12866.pdf. (
- 2006) Getting Proportions Right: How far Should EU Impact Assessments Go? Environmental Assessment Institute, Denmark. (
- EC (European Commission) (2002) Communication from the Commission on Impact Assessment. COM(2002) 276. Brussels.
- EC (European Commission) (2004) Impact Assessment: Next Steps: In Support of Competitiveness and Sustainable Development. SEC(2004) 1377. Brussels.
- EC (European Commission) (2005) Better Regulation for Growth and Jobs in the European Union. SEC(2005) 175, Brussels.
- EC (European Commission) (2006) Impact Assessment Guidelines. SEC(2005) 791, updated in March 2006. Brussels.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) (1983) Guidelines for Performing Regulatory Impact Analysis. EPA, Washington, DC. (Reprinted, 1991).
- 2000) Improving Regulatory Performance: Does Executive Office Oversight Matter. Related Publication 00. AEI–Brookings Joint Center for Regulatory Studies, Washington, DC. (
- GAO (Government Accountability Office) (2005) Economic Performance: Highlights of a Workshop on Economic Performance Measures. GAO 05-796-SP. [Accessed 09-01-2007.] Available from URL: www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-05-796SP.
- 1996) Regulatory Reform: Assessing the Government’s Numbers. In: HahnRW (ed.) Risks, Costs, and Lives Saved, pp. 208–255. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. (
- 2000) Assessing Regulatory Impact Analyses: The Failure of Agencies to Comply With Executive Order 12,866. Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy 23, 859–871. , , , , (
- 2007) The Economic Significance of “Insignificant” Rules. Regulation & Governance 1, 172–182. , (
- 2007) How Well Does the Government Do Cost-Benefit Analysis? Review of Environmental Economics and Policy 1, 192–211. , (
- 2007) The President’s New Executive Order on Regulation. Economists’ Voice 4, 1. , (
- 2008) Has Economic Analysis Improved Regulatory Decisions? Journal of Economic Perspectives 22, 67–84. , (
- 2000) On the Accuracy of Regulatory Cost Estimates. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 19, 297–332. , , (
- 2006) Current Trends in Regulatory Impact Analysis: The Challenges of Mainstreaming RIA into Policy-making. Working Paper, Jacobs and Associates Inc., Washington, DC. (
- 2004) A Pilot Study of the Quality of European Commission Extended Impact Assessments. Working Paper No. 8: Impact Assessment Research Centre, Manchester, UK. , (
- 2004) EU Extended Impact Assessment Review. Working Paper. Institut pour un Développement Durable, Ottignies, Belgium. (
- 1986) A Review of the Record. Regulation 10, 30–34. (
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget) (1992) Circular A-94: Guidelines and Discount Rates for Benefit-Cost Analysis of Federal Programs, Washington, DC.
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget) (1996) Economic Analysis of Federal Regulations under Executive Order 12,866. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget) (2003) Circular A-4: Regulatory Analysis, Washington, DC.
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget) (2005) Validating Regulatory Analysis: Report to Congress on the Costs and Benefits of Federal Regulations and Unfunded Mandates on State, Local, and Tribal Entities. Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Washington, DC.
- OMB (Office of Management and Budget) (2006) Report to Congress on the Costs and Benefits of Federal Regulations and Unfunded Mandates on State, Local, and Tribal Entities. Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Washington, D.C.
- 2004) “Impact Assessment in the EU: A Global Sustainable Development Perspective.” Berlin Conference on the Human Dimension of Global Environmental Change. , (
- 2004) The Diffusion of Regulatory Impact Analysis–Best Practice or Lesson-Drawing? European Journal of Political Research, 43, 723–747. (
- 1968) Decision Analysis: Introductory Lectures on Choices Under Uncertainty. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA. (
- 1981) Executive Order 12,291: Federal Regulation. Public Papers of the Presidents. General Printing Office, Washington, DC Available form URL: http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/codification/executive-order/12291.html (
- 2006) Impact Assessment in the EU: The State of the Art and the Art of the State. Center for European Policy Studies, Brussels. (
- 1996) EPA Guidelines for Regulatory Impact Analysis. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC. (
- 2002) The Cost-Benefit State: The Future of Regulatory Protection. American Bar Association, Chicago, IL. (
- 1995) Five-Hundred Life-Saving Interventions and Their Cost-Effectiveness. Risk Analysis 15, 369–390. , , , , et al. (
- 1996) The Opportunity Costs of Haphazard Social Investments in Life-Saving. In: HahnRW (ed) Risks, Costs, and Lives Saved, pp. 167–183. Oxford University Press, New York, NY. , (
- The Evaluation Partnership (2007) Evaluation of the Commission’s Impact Assessment System, Final Report. Contract Number SG-02/2006. Available from URL: http://ec.europa.eu/governance/impact/docs/key_docs/tep_eias_final_report.pdf.
- 2004) The EU’s New System of Regulatory Impact Assessment – A Scorecard. European Policy Forum. (
- 1997) Regulatory Process Reform: From Ford to Clinton. Regulation 20, 20–26. (
- 2006) Better Regulation in Europe. Current Legal Problems 59, 447–518. (