The many uses of regulatory impact assessment: A meta-analysis of EU and UK cases
Article first published online: 3 JAN 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 23–45, March 2012
How to Cite
Dunlop, C. A., Maggetti, M., Radaelli, C. M. and Russel, D. (2012), The many uses of regulatory impact assessment: A meta-analysis of EU and UK cases. Regulation & Governance, 6: 23–45. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2011.01123.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 3 JAN 2012
- Accepted for publication 23 November 2011.
- 2009) The emergence of better regulation in the European Union. PhD dissertation, King's College, London. (
- 2002) Regulatory Conversations. Journal of Law and Society 29, 163–196. (
- Braun D, Busch A (eds) (1999) Public Policy and Political Ideas. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- 1980) Rational Techniques in Policy Analysis. Heinemann Educational, London. (
- 2008) An Evaluation of the Quality of Impact Assessment in the European Union with Lessons for the US and the EU. Regulation & Governance 2, 405–424. , , , (
- Commission (2001) European Governance – A White Paper. COM(2001) 428 final. European Commission, Brussels.
- Commission (2010) Smart Regulation in the European Union. COM(2010) 543 final. European Commission, Brussels.
- 2007) Policy Framing in the European Union. Journal of European Public Policy 14, 654–666. (
- 2012) Diffusion of Regulatory Impact Analysis in OECD and EU Member States. Comparative Political Studies 45 (10), (in press). (
- 1996) The Making of Economic Policy: A Transaction-Cost Politics Perspective. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. (
- 2010) The Temporal Dimension of Knowledge and the Limits of Policy Appraisal: Biofuels Policy in the UK. Policy Sciences 43, 343–363. (
- ECA (European Court of Auditors) (2010) Impact Assessments in the EU Institutions: Do They Support Decision-Making? Special Report No. 3, Luxembourg.
- EVIA Consortium (2007) Evaluating Impact Assessment. Final report of the Evia consortium (on file at the European Commission, DG Research).
- 1996) Implementation as Communicative Action: An Interpretive Understanding of Interactions between Policy Actors and Target Groups. Policy Sciences 29, 291–319. , (
- 2009) An Introduction to Crisp Set QCA. Political Research Quarterly 62, 662–672. , (
- 2005) Counting Regulatory Benefits and Costs: Lessons for the U.S. and Europe. Journal of International Economic Law 8, 473–508. , (
- 2009) Rationalizing the Policy Mess? Ex Ante Assessment and the Utilization of Knowledge in the Policy Process. Environment and Planning A 41, 1185–1200. , , , , , (
- 2006) The Tools of Government in the Digital Age. Palgrave Macmillan, Houndsmill, Basingstoke. , (
- 2006) Playing the Market: A Political Strategy for Uniting Europe, 1985–2005. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY. (
- 2005) Employee Representation in the Board Compared: A Fuzzy Sets Analysis of Corporate Governance, Unionism and Political Institutions. Industrielle Beziehungen 12, 252–279. (
- 2008) Improving the Practice of Impact Assessment. EVIA Consortium, Berlin. , , , , , et al. (
- 2001) Cumulating the Intellectual Gold of Case Study Research. Public Administration Review 61, 235–246. , (
- 2010) Exploring Governance in a Multi-Level Polity: A Policy Instruments Approach. West European Politics 33, 1–21. , (
- 2010) Regulating from Nowhere: Environmental Law and the Search for Objectivity. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. (
- 2007) Introduction: Understanding Public Policy through Its Instruments – From the Nature of Instruments to the Sociology of Public Policy Instrumentation. Governance 20, 1–21. , (
- 1978) Implementation as Evolution. In: Freeman H (ed) Policy Studies Review Annual, pp. 103–117. Sage, London. , (
- 1987) Administrative Procedures as Instruments of Political Control. Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 3, 243–277. , , (
- 2008) Impact Assessment in EU Lawmaking. Kluwer Law International, The Hague. (
- 2003) The British Regulatory State: High Modernism and Hyper-Innovation. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- NAO (National Audit Office) (2006, 2007, 2009) Evaluation of Regulatory Impact Assessments. HM Stationery Office, London.
- 2008) The Use and Non-Use of Policy Appraisal in Public Policy Making: An Analysis of Three European Countries and the European Union. Policy Sciences 41 (4), 335–355. , , , , , (
- 2000) Research on Policy Implementation: Assessment and Prospects. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 10, 263–288. (
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) (2002) Regulatory Policies in OECD Countries: from Interventionism to Regulatory Governance. OECD, Paris.
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) (2008) Building and Institutional Framework for Regulatory Impact Assessment: Guidance for Policy-Makers. OECD, Paris.
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) (2009) Regulatory Impact Analysis: A Tool for Policy Coherence. OECD, Paris.
- 2011) Regulatory Impact Assessment: How Political and Organizational Forces Influence Its Diffusion in A Developing Country. Regulation & Governance 5, 204–220. , (
- 2010a) Regulating Rule-Making Via Impact Assessment. Governance 23, 89–108. (
- 2010b) Rationality, Power, Management and Symbols: Four Images of Regulatory Impact Assessment. Scandinavian Political Studies 33, 164–188. (
- 1987) The Comparative Method: Moving Beyond the Qualitative and Quantitative Strategies. University of California Press, Berkeley. (
- 2006) Set Relations in Social Research: Evaluating Their Consistency and Coverage. Political Analysis 14, 291–310. (
- 2008) Redesigning Social Inquiry: Fuzzy Sets and Beyond. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. (
- 2006) Reframing Problematic Policies. In: Moran M, Rein M, Goodin RE (eds) Oxford Handbook of Public Policy, pp. 389–408. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 2006) Impact Assessment in the EU. The State of the Art and the Art of the State. Centre for European Policy Studies, Brussels. (
- 1996) Eroding EU Policies. Implementation Gaps, Cheating and Re-Steering. In: Richardson JJ (ed) The European Union: Power and Policy-Making, pp. 278–294. Routledge, London. (
- 2008) Configurational Comparative Methods. Qualitative Comparative Analysis and Related Techniques. Sage, London. , (
- 2010) The Politics of Sustainable Development in UK Government: What Role for Integrated Policy Appraisal? Environment and Planning C 27, 340–354. , (
- 2011) The Limited Scope of Policy Appraisal in the Context of Referendum Democracy – The Case of Regulatory Impact Assessment in Switzerland. Evaluation 17, 151–163. , (
- Salamon LM (ed) (2002) The Tools of Government: A Guide to New Governance. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1960) The Semi-Sovereign People. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, NY. (
- 1993) Social Construction of Target Populations: Implications for Politics and Policy. American Political Science Review 87, 334–347. , (
- 2010) Standards of Good Practice in Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA) and Fuzzy Sets. Comparative Sociology 9, 397–418. , (
- 2010) The Usage of Scientific Knowledge by Independent Regulatory Agencies. Governance 23, 309–330. (
- 2010) Reflexive Governance, Regulation, and Meta-Regulation: Control or Learning? In: Lenoble J, De Schutter O (eds) Reflexive Governance: Redefining the Public Interest in a Pluralistic World, pp. 43–66. Hart, Oxford. (
- TEP (The Evaluation Partnership) (2007) Evaluation of the Commission's Impact Assessment System. The Evaluation Partnership (TEP), Brussels.
- 2008) Reshaping European Regulatory Space: An Evolutionary Analysis. West European Politics 31, 806–836. , (
- 2010) Impact Assessment and the Liberalization of the EU Energy Markets: Evidence-Based Policy-Making or Policy-Based Evidence-Making? Journal of Common Market Studies 48, 1065–1081. (
- 2009) The Policy and Politics of Policy Appraisal: Emerging Trends and New Directions. Journal of European Public Policy 16, 640–653. , , , (
- 1976) Educational Organizations as Loosely Coupled Systems. Administrative Science Quarterly 21, 1–19. (
- 2006) Better Regulation in Europe. Current Legal Problems 59, 447–518. (
- 2008) Ambiguity and Choice in European Public Policy. Journal of European Public Policy 15, 514–530. (