Assembling an experimentalist regime: Transnational governance interactions in the forest sector
Article first published online: 29 MAR 2012
© 2012 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Regulation & Governance
Special Issue: Transnational Business Governance Interactions
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 22–48, March 2014
How to Cite
Overdevest, C. and Zeitlin, J. (2014), Assembling an experimentalist regime: Transnational governance interactions in the forest sector. Regulation & Governance, 8: 22–48. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-5991.2012.01133.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 29 MAR 2012
- Accepted for publication 19 January 2012.
- 2009a) The Governance Triangle: Regulatory Standards Institutions and the Shadow of the State. In: Mattli W, Woods N (eds) The Politics of Global Regulation, pp. 44–88. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , (
- 2009b) Strengthening International Regulation through Transnational New Governance: Overcoming the Orchestration Deficit. Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 42, 503–577. , (
- 2010) International Regulation without International Government: Improving IO Performance through Orchestration. Review of International Organisations 5, 315–344. , (
- 2009) The Politics of International Regime Complexity. Perspectives on Politics 7, 13–24. , (
- 2010) Can Technological Innovations Improve Private Regulation in the Global Economy? Business and Politics 12(3), art. 9. , , , , (
- 2007) Institutional Emergence in An Era of Globalization: The Rise of Transnational Private Regulation of Labor and Environmental Conditions. American Journal of Sociology 113, 297–351. (
- 2011) The Co-Evolution of Forest Sustainability and Legality Standards: Evidence from Indonesia and China. Paper for Transnational Governance Interactions workshop, European University Institute, 23–24 May, Florence. (
- 2010) The EU–Ghana VPA: A Comprehensive Policy Analysis of Its Design. International Forestry Review 12, 221–230. , (
- 2004) Non-state Global Governance: Is Forest Certification a Legitimate Alternative to a Global Forest Convention? In: Kirton JJ, Trebilcock MJ (eds) Hard Choices, Soft Law: Voluntary Standards in Global Trade, Environment and Social Governance, pp. 33–63. Ashgate Publishing Limited, Aldershot. , (
- 2008) Constructing and Contesting Legitimacy and Accountability in Polycentric Regulatory Regimes. Regulation & Governance 2, 137–164. (
- 2009) Combating Illegal Logging: Interaction with WTO Rules, Illegal Logging Briefing Paper 2009/01, Chatham House, London. (
- 2011) Controlling Illegal Logging: Consumer–Country Measures, Illegal Logging Briefing Paper 2011/01, Chatham House, London. , (
- British Woodworking Federation (2010) European Parliament Agrees Timber Due Diligence Regulation. [Last accessed 23 Jun 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.bwf.org.uk/help/news/news/date/2010/07/13/european-parliament-passes-due-diligence-legislation/.
- 2011) The New Global Rulers: The Privatization of Regulation in the World Economy. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , (
- 2011) How Northern Governments Nurture Corporate Social Responsibility As A Means to Enforce Public Policies in Southeast Asia: Assessing the Implications of Illegal Wood Importing Bans in the United States and Europe. Paper for Transnational Governance Interactions workshop, European University Institute, 23–24 May, Florence. , (
- 2004) Governing through Markets: Forest Certification and the Emergence of Non-State Authority. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT. , , (
- 2007) Can Non-state Governance “Ratchet Up” Global Environmental Standards? Lessons from the Forest Sector. Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 16, 158–172. , , , (
- 2007) The Economics of Illegal Logging and Associated Trade. OECD, Paris, SG/SD/RT(2007)1/REV. , , (
- 2010) The EU in the Negotiation of the UN Disability Convention. European LawReview 35, 174–197. (
- DG DEVCO, European Commission (2011) FLEGT 6th Annual Coordination Meeting 12–14 January Final Report. [Last accessed 14 Dec 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.euflegt.efi.int/portal/documents/?did=240.
- 2014) Transnational Business Governance Interactions: Conceptualization and Framework for Analysis. Regulation and Governance 8, 1–21. , , , , (
- European Commission (2003) Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT): Proposal for an EU Action Plan, COM (2003) 251 final, Brussels, 21 May.
- European Forest Institute (2011a) Final Report, Support Study for Development of the Non-legislative Acts Provided for in the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council Laying Down the Obligations of Operators Who Place Timber and Timber Products on the Market. [Last accessed 14 December 2011.] Available from URL: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/forests/timber_regulation.htm.
- European Forest Institute (2011b) Baseline Study 1, China: Overview of Forest Governance, Markets and Trade.[Last accessed 14 December 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.euflegt.efi.int/portal/documents/?did=271.
- 2010) Forest Certification: A Status Report. Dovetail Partners, Inc., Minneapolis, MN. , , , (
- 2010) Loggers Seek Green Lane into E.U. International Herald Tribune 10–11 April. (
- 2011) FSC Presentation to 4th Potomac Forum on Illegal Logging, 4 May, Washington, DC. (
- 2011) Private and Public Governance Interactions: State Influences in Forest and Fisheries Certification Programs. Paper for Transnational Governance Interactions workshop, European University Institute, 23–24 May, Florence. (
- 2000) Integrating Theories of International Regimes. Review of International Studies 26, 3–33. , , (
- 2011) The End of an Era in International Financial Regulation? A Post-crisis Research Agenda. International Organization 65, 169–200. , (
- 2006) Logjam: Deforestation and the Crisis of Global Governance. Earthscan, London. (
- 2011) The Regime Complex for Climate Change. Perspectives on Politics 9, 7–21. , (
- 2010) Illegal Logging and Related Trade: Indicators of the Global Response. Chatham House, London. , (
- 2010) Forest Watch Special – VPA Update October 2010. EU Forest Watch, October. [Last accessed 17 Feb 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.fern.org. , (
- 2011) From Transnational Voluntary Standards to Local Practices: A Case Study of Forest Certification in Russia, MPIfG Discussion Paper 11/7, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, Cologne. (
- 2004) Mechanisms in the Analysis of Social Macro-Phenomena. Philosophy of the Social Sciences 34, 237–259. (
- 2009) Setting the Bar: An International Comparison of Public and Private Forest Policy Specifications and Implications for Explaining Policy Trends. Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences 6, 217–237. , , (
- 2009) Certification, Timber Trade and Market. Paper presented to the 13th World Forestry Congress, 18–23 Oct 2009, Buenos Aires, Argentina. [Last accessed give date of access.] Available from URL: http://www.pefc.org/images/stories/documents/external/certification_timber_trade_FD.pdf. (
- 2004) Codes of Conduct and Standard Setting in the Forest Sector: Constructing Markets for Democracy? Industrial Relations/Relations Industrielles 59, 172–198. (
- 2005) Codes of Conduct and Standard Setting in the Forest Sector: Constructing Markets for Democracy? PhD thesis, University of Wisconsin-Madison. (
- 2010) Comparing Forest Certification Schemes: The Case of Ratcheting Standards in the Forest Sector. Socio-Economic Review 8, 47–76. (
- Proforest (2010) FLEGT Licensed Timber and EU Member State Procurement Policies. [Last accessed 14 Dec 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.proforest.net/publication/results?tag=8455ca0687aa85008263b3163a1193df.
- 2004) The Regime Complex for Plant Genetic Resources. International Organization 58, 277–309. , (
- Resource Extraction Monitoring (2010) Independent Monitoring of Forest Law Enforcement and Governance & Timber Legality Verification Systems within VPAs. [Last accessed 14 Dec 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.rem.org.
- 2001) Overlapping International Regimes: The Case of the Intergovernmental Forum on Forests (IFF) between Climate Change and Biodiversity. International Environmental Agreements 1, 447–468. (
- 1994) Learning by Monitoring: The Institutions of Economic Development. In: Smelser NJ, Swedberg R (eds) Handbook of Economic Sociology, pp. 137–165. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, and Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY. (
- 2011) Minimalism and Experimentalism in the Administrative State. Georgetown Law Review 100, 53–93. , (
- 2008) Learning from Difference: The New Architecture of Experimentalist Governance in the EU. European Law Journal 14, 271–327. , (
- 2010) Experimentalist Governance in the European Union: Towards a New Architecture. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , (eds) (
- 2011) Experimentalism in Transnational Governance: Emergent Pathways and Diffusion Mechanisms. GR:EEN (Global Reordering: Evolution through European Networks) Working Paper No. 3. [Last accessed 14 Dec 2011.] Available from URL: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/csgr/green/papers/workingpapers/. , (
- 2012) Experimentalist Governance. In: Levi-Faur D (ed) The Oxford Handbook of Governance, pp. 169–183. Oxford University Press, Oxford. , (
- 2007) The WTO Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures: A Commentary. Oxford University Press, Oxford. (
- 2011) Analysis of the PEFC System for Forest Management Certification Using the Forest Certification Assessment Guide (FCAG). WWF International. [Last accessed 29 Feb 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.fsc-schweiz.ch/de/download-center/doc_download/84-pefc-assessment. (
- 2001) The Greening of the WTO. Foreign Affairs 80 (6), 147–156. , (
- 2010) China and the EU's Normative Approach to Africa: Competitor or Collaborator? A Case Study of Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT). MA thesis, University of Amsterdam. (
- WTO (World Trade Organization) (1998) Report of the Appellate Body on U.S. – Import Prohibition of Certain Shrimp and Shrimp Products, WT/DS58/AB/R (12 October 1998). [Last accessed 29 Feb 2012]. Available at http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds58_e.htm.
- WTO (2001) Report of the Appellate Body, U.S. – Import Prohibitions of Certain Shrimp and Shrimp Products; Recourse to Article 21.5 of the DSU by Malaysia, WT/DS58/AB/RW (22 October 2001). [Last accessed 29 Feb 2012]. Available at http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds58_e.htm.
- 2006) Institutional Dynamics: Emergent Patterns in International Environmental Governance. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. (