BEHAVIORAL SAMPLING METHODS FOR CETACEANS: A REVIEW AND CRITIQUE
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 15, Issue 1, pages 102–122, January 1999
How to Cite
Mann, J. (1999), BEHAVIORAL SAMPLING METHODS FOR CETACEANS: A REVIEW AND CRITIQUE. Marine Mammal Science, 15: 102–122. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.1999.tb00784.x
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 10 July 1995 Accepted: 14 January 1998
- 1974. Observational study of behavior: Sampling methods. Behaviour 49: 227–267.
- 1980. A real-time direction finding device for determining the bearing to the underwater sounds of southern right whales, (Eubalaena australis). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 68: 508–511.
- 1976. Some aspects of research design and their implications in the observational study of behaviour. Behaviour 58: 79–98.
- and . 1992. Behavioral sampling in the field: Comparison of individual and group sampling methods. American Journal of Primatology 26: 259–275. ,
- and . 1995. Spatial distribution, habitat utilization, and social interactions of humpback whales, Megaptera novaeangliae, off Hawaii determined using acoustic and visual techniques. Canadian Journal of Zoology 73: 1134–1146. , ,
- and . 1993. Passive acoustic localization of Atlantic bottlenose dolphin whistles and clicks. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 93: 2197–2205. ,
- HAMMOND, P. S., S. A. MIZROCH AND G. P. DONOVAN. EDS. 1990. Individual recognition of cetaceans: Use of photo-identification and other techniques to estimate population parameters. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12).
- and . 1970. Direct observation and measurement of behavior. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield , IL . ,
- and . 1985. The pooling fallacy: Problems arising when individuals contribute more than one observation to the data set. Zeitschrift für Tierpsychologie 68: 201–214. ,
- and . In press. Behavioural development of wild bottlenose dolphin newborns. Behaviour. ,
- and . 1991. Time sampling: A methodological critique. Child Development 62: 227–241. , ,
- and . 1986. Measuring behaviour: An introductory guide. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . ,
- 1997. How to avoid seven deadly sins in the study of behavior. Advances in the Study of Behavior 26: 160–180.
- 1994. Social organization and social behavior of Hawai'ian spinner dolphins (Stenella longiristris). Ph. D. dissertation, The University of California, Santa Cruz, CA. 114 pp.
- and . 1991. Statistical models for behavioral observations. Journal of Educational Statistics 16: 157–252. ,
- and . 1997. A quantitative assessment of dominance relations among bottlenose dolphins. Marine Mammal Science 13: 70–99. ,
- and . 1991. Using aerial photogrammetry to study dolphin school structure. Pages 227–241 in K.Pryor and K. S.Norris, eds. Dolphin societies: Discoveries and puzzles. University of California Press, Berkeley , CA . ,
- 1990. Behavior and ecology of the bottlenose dolphin at Sanibel Island, Florida. Pages 245–265 in S.Leatherwood and R. R.Reeves, eds. The bottlenose dolphin. Academic Press, Inc., New York , NY .
- 1985. An optical telemetry device to identify which dolphin produces a sound. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 78: 1892–1895.
- and . 1991. A datalogger to identify vocalizing dolphins. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 90: 1668–1671. ,
- 1979. Time-sampling: A matter of convention. Animal Behaviour 27: 801–810.
- and . 1990. Aerial behaviour in sperm whales. Canadian Journal of Zoology 68: 2076–2082. ,
- 1995. Investigating structure and temporal scale in social organizations using identified individuals. Behavioral Ecology 6: 199–208.
- 1997. Analyzing animal social structure. Animal Behaviour 53: 1053–1067.
- and . 1991. Patterns of visually observable behaviour and vocalizations in groups of female sperm whales. Behaviour 118: 275–296. ,
- 1966. Adaptation and natural selection. Princeton University Press, Princeton , NJ .
- and . 1985. Behavior of bowhead whales, Balaena mysticetus, summering in the Beaufort Sea: A description. Fishery Bulletin, U. S. 83: 357–377. , , ,