Mailing address: P. O. Box 6273, San Diego, California 92166, U. S. A. Additional images and information on the anatomy of the sperm whale's nose can be found at my website http://www.spermwhale.org.
THE SPERM WHALE'S NOSE: SEXUAL SELECTION ON A GRAND SCALE?1
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 1133–1157, October 1999
How to Cite
Cranford, T. W. (1999), THE SPERM WHALE'S NOSE: SEXUAL SELECTION ON A GRAND SCALE?. Marine Mammal Science, 15: 1133–1157. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.1999.tb00882.x
I would like to dedicate this paper to my major professor, Kenneth S. Norris and acknowledge the years of stalwart support and sage advice he provided. The astute reader will recognize that many of the ideas presented here have been espoused by him for decades (although some never found their way into the literature) or are logical extensions of his “natural intuition.” His original work with George Harvey on the anatomy of the sperm whale's nose laid the stepping stones in a pathway that I have followed with my research for the past fifteen years. I can only accept modest credit for plodding along a path so well forged. Whenever I lost my way, it was often Ken who shone the light ahead and gently nudged me in the right direction. I owe him an enormous measure of gratitude for sculpting the path, furnishing a map, lighting a beacon, and reminding me to enjoy nature's splendor along the way.
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 30 December 1998 Accepted: 21 April 1999
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!