Kenneth S. Norris recognized the potential of telemetry and tags to provide vastly improved understanding of the way marine mammals make a living. Many hours of discussion with Ken were spent working through details of new technologies that might allow better views of behavior underwater. He was always searching for improved ways to assess the activities of marine mammals-this concern was evident even in his early writing (e. g., Norris, Evans and Ray 1974). Ken was pleased with the developing tag designs and was insistent that sperm whales be the subject of intense study, so that our ideas will no longer “rest upon shaky ground,” he said. The analyses here of sperm whale surfacing activities are dedicated to Ken.
SPERM WHALE SURFACE ACTIVITY FROM TRACKING BY RADIO AND SATELLITE TAGS1
Article first published online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 1158–1180, October 1999
How to Cite
Watkins, W. A., Daher, M. A., Dimarzio, N. A., Samuels, A., Wartzok, D., Fristrup, K. M., Gannon, D. P., Howey, P. W., Maiefski, R. R. and Spradlin, T. R. (1999), SPERM WHALE SURFACE ACTIVITY FROM TRACKING BY RADIO AND SATELLITE TAGS. Marine Mammal Science, 15: 1158–1180. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.1999.tb00883.x
- Issue published online: 26 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 22 August 1997 Accepted: 26 February 1999
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!