Although Ken Norris primarily worked in and around the Pacific Ocean, his interests were almost as wide geographically as they were scientifically. I met Ken aboard that wonderful barquentine Regina Maris sailing along the northeast coast of Newfoundland in 1976. During a short cruise his famous interest in just about everything and extraordinary insight into the natural world gave us a new and lively perspective into the waters and animals that we were trying to study. Another rich marine system which caught Ken's attention was the Galápagos, and one of the animals with which he was most intrigued was the sperm whale. Partially in response to his enthusiasms and ideas, we have been studying the Galápagos sperm whales since 1985. Here is an analysis of what we have seen.
VARIATION IN THE VISUALLY OBSERVABLE BEHAVIOR OF GROUPS OF GALÁPAGOS SPERM WHALES1
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 1181–1197, October 1999
How to Cite
Whitehead, H. (1999), VARIATION IN THE VISUALLY OBSERVABLE BEHAVIOR OF GROUPS OF GALÁPAGOS SPERM WHALES. Marine Mammal Science, 15: 1181–1197. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.1999.tb00884.x
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 11 May 1998 Accepted: 24 March 1999
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!