Current address: National Marine Mammal Laboratory, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115–6349, U.S.A.; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MULTISITE MARK-RECAPTURE FOR CETACEANS: POPULATION ESTIMATES WITH BAYESIAN MODEL AVERAGING
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 80–92, January 2005
How to Cite
Durban, J. W., Elston, D. A., Ellifrit, D. K., Dickson, E., Hammond, P. S. and Thompson, P. M. (2005), MULTISITE MARK-RECAPTURE FOR CETACEANS: POPULATION ESTIMATES WITH BAYESIAN MODEL AVERAGING. Marine Mammal Science, 21: 80–92. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2005.tb01209.x
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 10 February 2004 Accepted: 10 July 2004
- 1998. Markov chain Monte Carlo method and its application. The Statistician 47:69–100.
- and 1993. Capture-recapture studies for multiple strata including non-Markovian transitions. Biometrics 49:1173–1187. , , ,
- and 1997. Model selection: An integral part of inference. Biometrics 53:603–618. ,
- 1992. Explaining the Gibbs sampler. The American Statistician 46:167–174. ,
- 2001. An overview of closed capture-recapture models. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics 6:158–175.
- 1989. Log-linear models for capture-recapture. Biometrics 45:395–413.
- 1961. The two-sample capture-recapture census when tagging and sampling are stratified. Biometrika 48:241–260.
- 1999. Markov chain Monte Carlo model determination for hierarchical and graphical log-linear models. Biometrika 86:615–633. ,
- 1996. An introduction to Bayesian inference for ecological research and environmental decision-making. Ecological Applications 6:1036–1046.
- 1972. The multiple recapture census for closed populations and incomplete 2k contingency tables. Biometika 59:591–603.
- and 1995. Bayesian data analysis. Chapman and Hall, London , UK . , ,
- 2001. On the relationship between Markov chain Monte Carlo methods for model uncertainty. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 10(2):1–19.
- 1986, Estimating the size of naturally marked whale populations using capture-recapture techniques. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 8):253–282.
- and 1990. A note on problems in estimating the number of blue whales in the Gulf of St. Lawrence from photo-identification data. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):135–141. ,
- 2001. On the Bayesian analysis of population size. Biometrika 88:317–336. ,
- 1998. Variable selection for regression models. Sankhya B 60:65–81. ,
- and 2002. Of BUGS and birds: Markov chain Monte Carlo for hierarchical modelling in wildlife research. Journal of Wildlife Management 66:277–291. , ,
- and 2000. WinBUGS—a Bayesian modelling framework: Concepts, structure, and extensibility. Statistics and Computing 10:325–337. , , ,
- 1997. Bayesian methods for estimation of the size of a closed population. Biometrika 84:19–31. ,
- 2002. Gibbs variable selection using BUGS. Journal of Statistical Software 7(7). Available at http://www.jstatsoft.org.
- 1997. Genetic tagging of humpback whales. Nature 388:767–769. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2002. Mitochondrial genetic diversity and population structuring of UK bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus): Is the NE Scotland population demographically and geographically isolated Biological Conservation. 108:175–182. , ,
- and 1993. Estimating migration rates using tag-recovery data. Biometrics 49:177–193. ,
- 1998. Use of the stratified-Petersen estimator in fisheries management: Estimating the number of pink salmon (Oncorbnchus gorbuscha) spawners in the Eraser River. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 55:281–296. ,
- 1982. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters, Second edition. Charles Griffin and Company Ltd., London , UK .
- 2000. Bayesian methods in conservation biology. Conservation Biology 14:1308–1316.
- 2001. Analysis of animal movement using opportunistic individual identifications: Application to sperm whales. Ecology 82:1417–1432.
- and 1986. Population estimate for the right whales off Peninsula Valdes, Argentina, 1971–1976. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 10):169–171. ,
- and 1999. Estimating size and assessing trends in a coastal bottlenose dolphin population. Ecological Applications 9:388–300. ,
- and 2004. Considering the temporal when managing the spatial: A population range expansion impacts protected areas based management for bottlenose dolphins. Animal Conservation. 7:331–338. , , ,