ESTIMATES OF SPERM WHALE ABUNDANCE IN THE NORTHEASTERN TEMPERATE PACIFIC FROM A COMBINED ACOUSTIC AND VISUAL SURVEY
Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 429–445, July 2005
How to Cite
Barlow, J. and Taylor, B. L. (2005), ESTIMATES OF SPERM WHALE ABUNDANCE IN THE NORTHEASTERN TEMPERATE PACIFIC FROM A COMBINED ACOUSTIC AND VISUAL SURVEY. Marine Mammal Science, 21: 429–445. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2005.tb01242.x
- Issue online: 26 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 AUG 2006
- Received: 10 February 2004 Accepted: 5 January 2005
- 1995. The abundance of cetaceans in California waters.Part I: Ship surveys in summer and fall of 1991 Fishery Bulletin, U.S. 93:1–14.
- 1996. The effect of diving and searching behavior on the probability of detecting track-line groups, g0, of long-diving whales during line-transect surveys. NOAA National Marine Fisheries Service, Southwest Fisheries Center Administrative Report LJ-96-14. 21 pp. ,
- 1971. The sperm whale. Pishchevaya Promyshlenuost, Moscow. (A. W.Yabiokov). [Translation by Israel Programme for Scientific Translations. 394 pp].
- 1992. A robust line transect method. Biometrics 48:901–909. ,
- and 1992. Fin whale abundance in the North Atlantic, estimated from Icelandic and Faroese NASS-87 and NASS-89 data. Report of the International Whaling Commission 42:645–651. ,
- and 2001. Introduction to distance sampling: Estimating abundance of biological populations. Oxford University Press, Oxford , UK . , , , ,
- 1997. An acoustic survey for sperm whales in the Southern Ocean Sanctuary conducted from the RSV Aurora Australis. Report of the International Whaling Commission 47:897–907. ,
- 1992. Ventilation and dive patterns in sperm whales, Physeter macrocephalus, in the Azores. Report of the International Whaling Commission 42: 561–565. ,
- 1998. Distribution, movements and residency of sperm whales off the Commonwealth of Dominica, Eastern Caribbean: Implications for the development and regulation of the local whalewatching industry. Report of the International Whaling Commission 48:551–557. , , , , ,
- 1987. Estimating density of dolphin schools in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean using line transect methods. Fishery Bulletin, U.S. 85:419–434.
- and 1998. Seasonal distribution and diving behavior of male sperm whales off Kaikura: Foraging implications. Canadian Journal of Zoology 78:407–419. ,
- 1995. Current status of odontocetes in the Antarctic. Antarctic Science 7:365–379. ,
- 2001. Conversion factors for binocular reticles. Marine Mammal Science 17:353–361. ,
- and 1994. DISTANCE User's Guide Version 2.1. Colorado Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Colorado State University, Fort Collins , CO . , ,
- and 1992. The development of practical techniques for surveying sperm whale populations acoustically. Report of the International Whaling Commission 42:549–560. ,
- and 2000. Results of passive acoustic surveys for odontocetes in the Southern Ocean. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 2:187–196. ,
- and 1982. Respiration patterns and ‘sightability’ of whales. Report of the International Whaling Commission 32:601–613. , ,
- and 2002. Male sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus) acoustics in a high-latitude habitat: Implications for echolocation and communication. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 53(1):31–41. ,
- and 1999. Genetic relatedness within groups and the definition of sperm whale stock boundaries from the coastal waters off California, Oregon and Washington. Southwest Fisheries Science Center Administrative Report LJ-99-12 available from SWFSC, 8604 La Jolla Shores Dr., La Jolla , CA 92037. , , , , ,
- and 2000. Sperm whale clicks: directionality and source level revisited. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America 107:638–648. ,
- 1974. Whales and whale research in the eastern North Pacific. Pages 170–195 in W. E.Schevill ed, The whale problem: A status report. Harvard Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1996. Abundance estimation of northeastern Atlantic minke whales. Report of the International Whaling Commission 46:391–405. , ,
- 1993. Estimates of cetacean abundance and distribution in the eastern tropical Pacific. Report of the International Whaling Commission 43: 477–493. ,
- 1980. Acoustics and the behavior of sperm whales. Pages 283–290 in R.-G.Busnel and J. F.Fish eds, Animal sonar systems. Plenum Publishing Corp., New York , NY .
- 1988. Distinctive vocalizations from mature male sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 66:931–937. ,
- 2002. Estimates of the current global population size and historical trajectory for sperm whales. Marine Ecology Progress Series 242:295–304.
- 2003. Sperm whales: Social evolution in the ocean. University of Chicago Press, Chicago , IL .
- and 1992. Distribution and behavior of male sperm whales on the Scotian Shelf, Canada. Canadian Journal of Zoology 70:912–918. ,