KILLER WHALES, WHALING, AND SEQUENTIAL MEGAFAUNAL COLLAPSE IN THE NORTH PACIFIC: A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE DYNAMICS OF MARINE MAMMALS IN ALASKA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA FOLLOWING COMMERCIAL WHALING
Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 23, Issue 4, pages 751–765, October 2007
How to Cite
Trites, A. W., Deecke, V. B., Gregr, E. J., Ford, J. K.B. and Olesiuk, P. F. (2007), KILLER WHALES, WHALING, AND SEQUENTIAL MEGAFAUNAL COLLAPSE IN THE NORTH PACIFIC: A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF THE DYNAMICS OF MARINE MAMMALS IN ALASKA AND BRITISH COLUMBIA FOLLOWING COMMERCIAL WHALING. Marine Mammal Science, 23: 751–765. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2006.00076.x
- Issue online: 26 JUN 2007
- Version of Record online: 12 JUL 2006
- Received: 3 December 2004Accepted: 1 February 2006
- 1992. A review of commercial fisheries and the Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus): The conflict arena. Reviews in Aquatic Sciences 6:203–256.
- and . 1999. Community reorganization in the Gulf of Alaska following ocean climate regime shift. Marine Ecology Progress Series 189:117–123. ,
- and . 2004. Alaska marine mammal stock assessments, 2003. NOAA Technical Memorandum No. NMFS-AFSC-124. 237 pp. ,
- 2000. Population structure and mating patterns of killer whales (Orcinus orca) as revealed by DNA analysis. Ph.D. thesis, University of British Columbia, Vancouver , BC , Canada . 97 pp.
- and . 1995. The impact of killer whale predation on Steller sea lion populations in British Columbia and Alaska. University of British Columbia, Fisheries Centre, 2202 Main Mall, Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4, Canada, Unpublished Report. 77 pp. , , ,
- and . 2000. Fisheries climatology: Understanding decadal scale processes that naturally regulate British Columbia fish populations. Pages 94–145 in T. R.Parsons and P. J.Harrison, eds. Fisheries oceanography: A science for the new millennium. Blackwell Science, Oxford , U.K . ,
- and . 2002. Ecological effects of regime shifts in the Bering Sea and eastern North Pacific Ocean. Fish and Fisheries 3:95–113. ,
- 1985. Status of the Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) and California sea lion (Zalophus californianus) in British Columbia. Canadian Special Publication of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 77:1–20.
- 1990. Migration of northern fur seals (Callorhinus ursinus) off western North America. Pacific Biological Station, 1764:1–64 pp.
- and . 1977. Sea otters re-established in British Columbia. Journal of Mammalogy 59:874–876. ,
- and . 2005. Trends in abundance of harbor seals in Oregon: 1977–2003. Marine Mammal Science 21:657–670. , ,
- and . 2002. Estimated trends in abundance of eastern Pacific gray whales from shore counts (1967/68 to 1995/96). Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 4:41–48. ,
- and . 2003. Disease agents in Steller sea lions in Alaska: A review and analysis of serology data from 1975–2000. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 11:1–26. , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1998. Reduced body size of female Steller sea lions from a declining population in the Gulf of Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 14:232–244. ,
- and . 1999. Steller sea lion status and trend in Southeast Alaska: 1979–1997. Marine Mammal Science 15:462–477. , ,
- and . 2004. U.S. Pacific marine mammal stock assessments: 2003. NOAA Technical Memorandum No. NMFS-AFSC-124, 295 pp. , , , ,
- 2001. Why do baleen whales migrate? A response to Corkeron and Connor. Marine Mammal Science 17:432–436.
- COSEWIC. 2003. COSEWIC assessment and update status report on the Steller sea lion Eumetopias jubatus in Canada. Available from http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca. vii + 47 pp.
- COSEWIC. 2005. Canadian species at risk, May 2005. Committee on the status of endangered wildlife in Canada. Available from http://www.cosewic.gc.ca. 49 pp.
- and , eds. 2002. Steller sea lion decline: Is it food II? University of Alaska Sea Grant, AK-SG-02–02. ,
- and . 2006. The sequential megafaunal collapse hypothesis: Testing with existing data. Progress in Oceanography 68:329–342. , , , , ,
- 1987. Observations of humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae—killer whale, Orcinus orca, interactions in Alaska: Comparison with terrestrial predator-prey relationships. Canadian Field-Naturalist 101:70–75.
- and . 2003. Sea otter population declines in the Aleutian archipelago. Journal of Mammalogy 84:55–64. , , ,
- and . 1991. 1976 step in the Pacific climate: Forty environmental changes between 1968–1975 and 1977–1984. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Pacific Climate (PACLIM) Workshop, Asilomar, California, April, 1990. California Department of Water Resources. Interagency Ecological Study Program Report. 26:115–126. , , , ,
- and . 1998. Killer whale predation on sea otters linking oceanic and nearshore ecosystems. Science 282:473–476. , ,
- and . 1998. Dietary specialization in two sympatric populations of killer whales (Orcinus orca) in coastal British Columbia and adjacent waters. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76:1456–1471. , , , ,
- and . 2000. Killer whales: The natural history and genealogy of Orcinus orca in British Columbia and Washington. 2nd edition. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver , BC , Canada . ,
- and . 2005. Killer whale attacks on minke whales: Prey capture and antipredator tactics. Marine Mammal Science 21:603–618. , , , ,
- 1994. Decadal variability in the 1970s and 1980s: Observations and model results. Climate Dynamics 10:60–70.
- and . 2000. Migration and population structure of northeast Pacific whales off the coast of British Columbia: Analysis of commercial whaling records from 1908–1967. Marine Mammal Science 16:699–727. , , ,
- and . 2000. Empirical evidence for North Pacific regime shifts in 1977 and 1989. Progress in Oceanography 47:103–145. ,
- and . 2003. Examining the evidence for killer whale predation on Steller sea lions in British Columbia and Alaska. Aquatic Mammals 29:325–334. , , ,
- and . 2005. Feeding ecology of eastern North Pacific killer whales from fatty acid, stable isotope, and organochlorine analyses of blubber biopsies. Marine Ecology Progress Series 302:275–291. , , , , , ,
- and . 1991. Genetic differentiation between sympatric killer whale populations. Heredity 66:191–195. ,
- and . 1998. Low genetic variation among killer whales (Orcinus orca) in the eastern North Pacific and genetic differentiation between foraging specialists. Journal of Heredity 89:121–128. ,
- and . 1991. A review of killer whale interactions with other marine mammals: Predation to co-existence. Mammal Review 21:151–180. ,
- and . 2003. Trends and status of harbor seals in Washington state: 1978–1999. Journal of Wildlife Management 67:208–219. , ,
- 1968a. Another note on the attacking behaviour of the killer whale (Orcinus orca). Norsk Hvalfangst-Tidende 57:175–176.
- 1968b. A note on the attacking behaviour of the killer whale (Orcinus orca). Norsk Hvalfangst-Tidende 57:84–85.
- 2005. Report of the study group on fisheries and ecosystem responses to recent regime shifts. Volume 28. PICES Scientific Report. , ed.
- 1994. The biology of the Southern Ocean. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , U.K .
- and . 2002. An accounting of the sources of Steller sea lion mortality. Pages 9–13 in D.DeMaster and S.Atkinson, eds. Steller sea lion decline: Is it food II. University of Alaska Sea Grant, AK-SG-02–02, Fairbanks, AK. ,
- and . 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78:1069–1079. , , ,
- and . 2002. Killer whales and predation on Steller sea lions. Pages 61–66 in D.DeMaster and S.Atkinson, eds. Steller sea lion decline: Is it food II? University of Alaska Sea Grant, AK-SG-02–02, Fairbanks, AK. ,
- and . 2001. An introduction to the Beyond El Nino conference: Climate variability and marine ecosystem impacts from the tropics to the Arctic. Progress in Oceanography 49:1–6. , , , ,
- and . 2003. How important are large whales as prey for killer whales (Orcinus orca) in high latitudes? A proposal. International Whaling Commission SC/55/019:1–4. ,
- and . 1997. Diet diversity of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) and their population decline in Alaska: A potential relationship. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 54:1342–1348. ,
- and . 2006. Have North Pacific killer whales switched prey species in response to depletion of the great whale populations? Marine Ecology Progress Series 310:235–246. ,
- National Research Council. 1996. The Bering Sea ecosystem. National Academy Press, Washington , DC .
- National Research Council. 2003. The decline of the Steller sea lion in Alaskan waters: Untangling food webs and fishing nets. National Research Council, Washington , DC .
- and . 2002. British Columbia commercial whaling catch data 1908 to 1967: A detailed description of the B.C. historical whaling database. Canadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences No. 2396. viii +76 pp. , , , , ,
- 1999. An assessment of the status of harbour seals (Phoca vitulina) in British Columbia. Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Canadian Stock Assessment Secretariat Research Document No. 99/33. 71 pp.
- 2003. Recent trends in the abundance of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in British Columbia. NMMRC Working Paper No. 2001–2010.
- and . 1990. Recent trends in the abundance of harbour seals, Phoca vitulina, in British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 47:992–1003. ,
- and . 1958. The abundance and distribution of the northern sea lion (Eumetopias jubata) on the coast of British Columbia. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 15:5–17. ,
- 1990. Major decline in number of harbor seals, Phoca vitulina richardsi, on Tugidak Island, Gulf of Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 6:121–134.
- and . 1998. Reproductive performance of female Steller sea lions: An energetics based reproductive strategy? Canadian Journal of Zoology 76:2075–2083. ,
- and . 2003. Three forms of killer whales (Orcinus orca) in Antarctic waters. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 5:131–139. ,
- and . 2001. Killer whale predation on sperm whales: Observations and implications. Marine Mammal Science 17:494–507. , ,
- and . 2000. Pollock and the decline of Steller sea lions: Testing the junk-food hypothesis. Canadian Journal of Zoology 78:1243–1258. ,
- and . 2004. Satiation and compensation for short-term changes in food quality and availability in young Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:1061–1069. ,
- and . 2000. Foraging strategies of sympatric killer whale (Orcinus orca) populations in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 16:94–109. , , ,
- and . 2003. Trends in abundance of Alaska harbor seals, 1983–2001. Marine Mammal Science 19:344–362. ,
- and . 2003. Sequential megafaunal collapse in the North Pacific Ocean: An ongoing legacy of industrial whaling? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:12223–12228. , , , , , ,
- 1992. Northern fur seals: Why have they declined? Aquatic Mammals 18:3–18.
- 2003. Food webs in the ocean: Who eats whom and how much? Pages 125–143 in M.Sinclair and G.Valdimarsson, eds. Responsible fisheries in the marine ecosystem. FAO Rome and CABI Publishing, Wallingford , U.K.
- and . 1996. Physical growth of northern fur seals (Callorhinus ursinus): Seasonal fluctuations and migratory influences. Journal of Zoology, London 238:459–482. ,
- and . 2003. The decline of Steller sea lions in Alaska: A review of the nutritional stress hypothesis. Mammal Review 33:3–28. ,
- and . 1992. The status of Steller sea lion populations and the development of fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska and Aleutian Islands. A report of the Pacific States Marine Fisheries Commission pursuant to National Oceanic and Atmospheric award no. NA17FD0177. Available from the Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver , BC , Canada . 134 pp. ,
- and . 1996. Changes in the abundance of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska from 1956 to 1992: How many were there? Aquatic Mammals 22:153–166. ,
- and . 1998. Estimating mean body masses of marine mammals from maximum body lengths. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76:886–896. ,
- and . 1999. Ecosystem change and the decline of marine mammals in the eastern Bering Sea: Testing the ecosystem shift and commercial whaling hypotheses. Fisheries Centre Research Reports 7. 106 pp. , , , ,
- and . 2004. Whales, whaling and ecosystem change in the Antarctic and eastern Bering Sea: Insights from ecosystem models. Pages 85–92 in Investigating the roles of cetaceans in marine ecosystems. CIESM Workshop Monographs no. 25, Monaco . ,
- and . In press. Bottom-up forcing and the decline of Steller sea lions in Alaska: Assessing the ocean climate hypothesis. Fisheries Oceanography , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2007. Marine mammal abundance, biomass, and trends in the North Pacific—a re-examination of evidence for sequential megafauna collapse. Marine Mammal Science 23:000–000. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2005. Bottom-up ecosystem trophic dynamics determine fish production in the Northeast Pacific. Science 308:1280–1284. ,
- and . 1997. Updated status of the sea otter, Enhydra lutris, in Canada. Canadian Field-Naturalist 111:277–286. , ,
- 1988. On the Northwest: Commercial whaling in the Pacific Northwest, 1790–1967. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver, BC, Canada .
- and . 2005. Killer whales and whaling: The scavenging hypothesis. Biology Letters doi:DOI: 10.1098/rsbl.2005.0348. ,
- and . 2004. Killer appetites: Assessing the role of predators in ecological communities. Ecology 85:3373–3384. , ,
- and . 2003. Prey consumption of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) off Alaska: How much prey do they require? Fishery Bulletin 101:147–167. ,
- and . 2006. Risk of extirpation of Steller sea lions in the Gulf of Alaska and Aleutian Islands: A population viability analysis based on alternative hypotheses for why sea lions declined in western Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 22:124–155. ,