THE IMPORTANCE OF CONSIDERING PREDICTION VARIANCE IN ANALYSES USING PHOTOGRAMMETRIC MASS ESTIMATES
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2006
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 65–76, January 2007
How to Cite
Proffitt, K. M., Garrott, R. A., Rotella, J. J. and Banfield, J. (2007), THE IMPORTANCE OF CONSIDERING PREDICTION VARIANCE IN ANALYSES USING PHOTOGRAMMETRIC MASS ESTIMATES. Marine Mammal Science, 23: 65–76. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2006.00091.x
- Issue online: 21 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2006
- Received: 13 February 2006Accepted: 23 June 2006
- and . 1997. Factors affecting maternal expenditure in southern elephant seals during lactation. Ecology 78:471–483. ,
- and . 2003. Sex differences in the seasonal patterns of energy storage and expenditure in a phocid seal. Journal of Animal Ecology 72:280–291. ,
- and . 1997. Estimation of body mass in the southern elephant seal, Mirounga leonina, by photogrammetry and morphometrics. Marine Mammal Science 13:669–682. ,
- and . 1994. Bison: Mating and conservation in small populations. Columbia University Press, New York . ,
- 1950. Are there two regressions? Journal of the American Statistical Association 45:164–180.
- and . 1992. Aerial photogrammetry of southern right whales, Eubalaena australis. Journal of Zoology 228:595–614. ,
- and . 2001. Foraging effort, food intake, and lactation performance depend on maternal mass in a small phocid seal. Functional Ecology 15:325–334. , ,
- 2002. Estimating food consumption of marine predators: Antarctic fur seals and macaroni penguins. Journal of Applied Ecology 39:103–119.
- and . 2003. Measurement error. Institute of Statistics Mimeo Series No. 2544 . ,
- and . 1990. Approximate quasi-likelihood estimation in models with surrogate predictors. Journal of the American Statistical Association 85:652–663. ,
- and . 1995. Measurement error in nonlinear models. Chapman and Hall, Boca Raton , FL . ,
- and . 1993. Mass estimates using body morphology in Stellar sea lions. Marine Mammal Science 9:48–54. ,
- 2001. Bayesian statistical modeling. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- and . 1994. Simulation-extrapolation estimation in parametric measurement error models. Journal of the American Statistical Association 89:1314–1328. ,
- and . 2001. Maternal traits and reproductive effort in northern elephant seals. Ecology 82:3541–3555. , ,
- and . 1988. Reproductive performance of seabirds and seals at South Georgia and Signy Island, South Orkney Islands, 1976–1987: Implications for southern ocean monitoring studies. in D.Sahrhage, ed. Antarctic ocean and resources variability. Springer-Verlag, Berlin . , ,
- and . 1987. Size-class segregation of bowhead whales discerned through aerial stereophotogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science 3:179–185. ,
- and . 1994. Sex- and age-related variation in reproductive effort of northern elephant seals. in B. J.Le Boeuf and R. M.Laws, eds. Elephant seals: Population ecology, behavior, and physiology. University of California Press, Berkeley , CA . , ,
- and . 2001. Mass of weaned elephant seal pups in areas of low and high human presence. Polar Biology 24:244–251. , , , , ,
- 1987. Measurement error models. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- 2001. Measuring the range to animals at sea from boats using photographic and video images. Journal of Applied Ecology 38:879–887.
- and . 1991. A method for estimating mass of large pinnipeds. Marine Mammal Science 7:157–164. ,
- and . 1994. Size, dominance, and copulatory success in male northern elephant seals, Mirounga angustirostris. Animal Behavior 48:1249–1260. ,
- and . 2006. Development and application of a mass-estimation method for marine mammals: Weddell seals as a case study. Marine Mammal Science 22:361–378. , ,
- 1985. Statistical analysis of measurement errors. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- and . 2005. Ocean climate and seal condition. BMC Biology 3:10.
- and . 2002. Semiparametric regression modeling with mixtures of Berkson and classical error, with application to fallout from the Nevada test site. Biometrics 58:13–20. ,
- 1998. Basics of structural equation modeling. SAGE Publications, Inc., Thousand Oaks , CA .
- and . 1999. Individual variation in maternal energy allocation and milk production in grey seals and consequences for pup growth and weaning characteristics. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 72:677–690. ,
- and . 1996. Applied linear statistical models (4th ed). WCB McGraw-Hill, Boston . , ,
- and . 1988. The ecological context of life history evolution. Science 241:1449–1455. ,
- 1983. The ecological implications of body size. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge United Kingdom.
- and . 2004. On a symmetrized simulation extrapolation estimator in linear errors-in-variables models. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 47:675–688. ,
- R Development Core Team. 2004. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna , Austria . ISBN 3-900051-00-3 (Available from http://www.R-project.org).
- and . 1993. Photogrammetric estimates of allometry and calf production in fin whales, Balaenoptera physalus. Journal of Mammalogy 74:323–330. ,
- 2002. Mixture models in measurement error problems, with reference to epidemiological studies. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A 165:549–566.
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Chapman and Hall, New York .
- and . 2001. Assessing the importance of cephalopods in the diets of marine mammals and other top predators: Problems and solutions. Fisheries Research 52:121–139. ,
- and . 2004. Pinniped lactation strategies: Evaluation of data on maternal and offspring life history traits. Marine Mammal Science 20:86–114. ,
- 1985. The effects of measurement error on parameter estimation. Biometrika 72:583–592.
- and . 1995. Simulation-extrapolation: The measurement error jackknife. Journal of the American Statistical Association 95:520–534. ,