Currently at NOAA, NMFS, AFSC National Marine Mammal Laboratory, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115-6349, U.S.A.
Balancing bias and precision in capture-recapture estimates of abundance
Article first published online: 21 APR 2008
©2008 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 24, Issue 2, pages 253–275, April 2008
How to Cite
Friday, . N. A., Smith, . T. D., Stevick, . P. T., Allen, J. and Fernald, T. (2008), Balancing bias and precision in capture-recapture estimates of abundance. Marine Mammal Science, 24: 253–275. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00187.x
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2008
- Received: 18 August 2006Accepted: 26 August 2007
- 1992. Testing the reliability of photographic identification of individual fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus). Report of the International Whaling Commission 42:731–737.
- and . 1992. Population characteristics of individually identified humpback whales in southeastern Alaska: Summer and fall 1986. Fishery Bulletin 90:429–437. ,
- 1999. Abundance and survival rates of great crested newts (Triturus cristatus) at a pond in central England: Monitoring individuals. Herpetological Journal 9:1–8.
- and . 2000. Temporal variability in features used to photo-identify humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). Marine Mammal Science 16:338–354. ,
- 1990. Estimation of survival rates from sightings of individually identifiable whales. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):149–153.
- and . 1998. Model selection and inference: A practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York . ,
- and . 2004. Abundance of blue and humpback whales in the eastern North Pacific estimated by capture-recapture and line-transect methods. Marine Mammal Science 20:63–85. ,
- and . 1990. Population estimates of humpback whales in the Gulf of the Farallones, California. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):325–333. , , ,
- and . 1990. Changes in the ventral fluke pattern of the humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae), and its effect on matching; evaluation of its significance to photo-identification research. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):105–111. ,
- 1998. Estimates of humpback whale abundance off Kauai, 1989 to 1993: Evaluating biases associated with sampling the Hawaiian Islands breeding assemblage. Marine Ecology Progress Series 175:23–34.
- and . 1995. Abundance and seasonal residence of sperm whales at Kaikoura, New Zealand. Canadian Journal of Zoology 73:723–731. ,
- and . 2000. Capture-recapture estimation of bowhead whale population size using photo-identification data. The Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 2:45–61. , , , , , ,
- and . 2005. Multisite mark-recapture for cetaceans: Population estimates with Bayesian model averaging. Marine Mammal Science 21:80–92. , , , ,
- and . 1997. Mark-recapture estimates of survival in populations of the asp viper, Vipera aspis aspis. Journal of Herpetology 31:558–564. ,
- and . 2000. Use of photographic identification in capture-recapture studies of Mediterranean monk seals. Marine Mammal Science 16:767–793. ,
- 1997. Evaluating photographic capture-recapture estimates of abundance of North Atlantic humpback whales. Ph.D. thesis, University of Rhode Island, Kingston , RI . 173 pp.
- and . 2000. Measurement of photographic quality and individual distinctiveness for the photographic identification of humpback whales, Megaptera novaeangliae. Marine Mammal Science 16:355–374. , ,
- and . 2004. Organismal and ‘gametic’ capture-recapture using microsatellite genotyping confirm low abundance and reproductive autonomy of humpback whales on the wintering grounds of New Caledonia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 274:251–262. , ,
- 1973. Approximations of the bias in the Jolly-Seber capture-recapture model. Biometrics 29:501–526.
- 1986. Estimating the size of naturally marked whale populations using capture-recapture techniques. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 8):253–282.
- and . 1990. Individual recognition of cetaceans: Use of photo-identification and other techniques to estimate population parameters. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):1–440. ,
- and . 1997. Infrared-triggered cameras for censusing white-tailed deer. Wildlife Society Bulletin 25:547–556. , , ,
- and . 1998. Estimation of tiger densities in India using photographic captures and recaptures. Ecology 79:2852–2862. ,
- and . 1979. Identification of humpback whales by fluke photographs. Pages 33–44 in H. E.Winn and B. L.Olla, eds. Behavior of marine animals. Volume 3. Cetaceans. Plenum Press, New York . , , , ,
- and . 1990. Population size, migrations and feeding aggregations of the humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) in the western North Atlantic Ocean. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):295–305. ,
- and . 1998. Estimates of annual survival probabilities for adult Florida manatees (Trichechus manatus latirostris). Ecology 79:981–997. , ,
- and . 2004. Distribution and abundance of West Greenland humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). Journal of Zoology, London 263:343—358. ,
- MathSoft. 1999. S-PLUS 2000 guide to statistics. Volume 1. Data Analysis Products Division, MathSoft , Seattle , WA .
- and . 2004. Estimating the adult survival rate of central North Pacific humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae). Journal of Mammalogy 85:963–972. , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1997. Genetic tagging of humpback whales. Nature 388:767–769. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Abundance of bottlenose dolphins in the bays, sounds, and estuaries of North Carolina. Marine Mammal Science 19:59–73. , ,
- and . 1998. An improved system for scoring photo quality and whale identifiability in aerial photographs of bowhead whales. Report of the International Whaling Commission 48:501–512. , , , ,
- 1982. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. 2nd edition. Charles Griffin and Co., London , UK .
- and . 1992. Survival rates of photographically identified Hector's dolphins from 1984 to 1988. Marine Mammal Science 8:327–343. ,
- and . 1999. An ocean-basin-wide mark-recapture study of the North Atlantic humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae). Marine Mammal Science 15:1–32. , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. North Atlantic humpback whale abundance and rate of increase four decades after protection from whaling. Marine Ecology Progress Series 258:263–273. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2001. Errors in identification using natural markings: Rates, sources, and effects on capture-recapture estimates of abundance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:1861–1870. , , ,
- 1982. Populations of humpback whales in the northwest Atlantic. Report of the International Whaling Commission 32:345–353.
- and . 1999. Estimating size and assessing trends in a coastal bottlenose dolphin population. Ecological Applications 9:288–300. ,
- and . 1985. Humpback whale-Megaptera novaeangliae (Borowski, 1781). Pages 241–273 in S. H.Ridgeway and R.Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume 3. The sirenians and baleen whales. Academic Press, London , UK . ,
- and . 2002. Survival of bowhead whales, Balaena mysticetus, estimated from 1981–1998 photoidentification data. Biometrics 58:832–840. , , , ,