Postpartum whistle production in bottlenose dolphins
Article first published online: 9 MAY 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 479–502, July 2008
How to Cite
Fripp, D. and Tyack, P. (2008), Postpartum whistle production in bottlenose dolphins. Marine Mammal Science, 24: 479–502. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00195.x
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 9 MAY 2008
- Received: 11 May 2006Accepted: 5 November 2007
- 1998. Animal behavior. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , MA .
- 1974. Observational study of behavior: Sampling methods. Behaviour 49:227–267.
- 1963. Naturalistic studies of maternal care in moose and elk. Pages 233–253 in H. L.Rheingold, ed. Maternal behavior in mammals. John Wiley and Sons, New York , NY .
- and . 1992. Vocal recognition in Mexican free-tailed bats: Do pups recognize mothers? Animal Behaviour 43:79–87. ,
- 1979. How do sensitive periods arise and what are they for? Animal Behaviour 27:470–486.
- and . 1993. A quantitative measure of similarity for Tursiops truncatus signature whistles. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 94:2497–2506. ,
- and . 1979. The whistle of the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)—ontogeny. Pages 369–401 in H. E.Winn and B. L.Olla, eds. Behavior of marine animals. Volume 3. Cetaceans. Plenum Press, New York , NY . ,
- and . 1990. Review of the signature-whistle hypothesis for the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Pages 199–234 in S.Leatherwood and R. R.Reeves, eds. The bottlenose dolphin. Academic Press, New York , NY . ,
- and . 1974. Birth in dolphins (Tursiops truncatus, Mont.) in the Dolphinarium Harderwijk, Netherlands. Aquatic Mammals 2:11–22. ,
- 1999. Techniques for studying vocal learning in bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Ph.D. dissertation, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution/Massachusetts Institute of Technology , Woods Hole and Cambridge , MA .
- 2005. Bubblestream-whistles are not representative of a bottlenose dolphin's vocal repertoire. Marine Mammal Science 21:29–44.
- and . 2005. Bottlenose dolphin calves appear to model their signature whistles on the whistles of community members. Animal Cognition 8:17–26. , , , , , ,
- and . 1994. Marine animal sound classification. Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Technical Report No. 94-13, Woods Hole , MA . ,
- and . 1991. California sea lion pups play an active role in reunions with their mothers. Animal Behaviour 41:364–366. ,
- and . 1963a. Maternal behavior in sheep and goats. Pages 203–232 in H. L.Rheingold, ed. Maternal behavior in mammals. John Wiley and Sons, New York , NY . ,
- and . 1963b. Modifiability of the critical period for the development of maternal behavior in sheep and goats. Behaviour 20:311–320. ,
- 1959. Imprinting. Science 130:133–141.
- 1977. The langurs of Abu. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 2001. Mother-offspring vocal recognition in northern fur seals in mutual but asymmetrical. Animal Behavior 61:129–137.
- and . 1998. Context-specific use suggests that bottlenose dolphin signature whistles are cohesion calls. Animal Behaviour 56:829–838. ,
- and . 1994. Signature whistle variations in a bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 35:243–248. ,
- and . 1984. Sensitive phases for song learning: Effects of social interaction and individual variation. Animal Behavior 32:389–394. ,
- 1937. The companion in the bird's world. Auk 54:245–273.
- and . 1998. Natal attraction: Kidnapping, allocare, and separations among wild bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) mothers and infants. Animal Behaviour 55:1097–1113. ,
- 1970. A comparative approach to vocal learning: Song development in white-crowned sparrows. Journal of Comparative Physiology and Psychology 71:1–25.
- and . 1951. Observations of pregnancy, parturition, and postnatal behaviour in the bottlenose dolphin. Journal of Mammology 32:251–265. ,
- and . 1995. Whistle contour development in captive-born infant bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus): Role of learning. Journal of Comparative Psychology 109:242–260. ,
- and . 2000. Mother-pup vocal recognition in the grey seal (Halichoerus grypus) of Sable Island, Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Zoology 251:449–455. ,
- and . 2005. Whistle production pre- and post-partum in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in human care. Aquatic Mammals 31:169–175. ,
- 1977. Comments on captive births of Tursiops truncatus at Marineland of the Pacific (1957–1972). Pages 71–76 in S. H.Ridgway and K.Benirschke, eds. Breeding dolphins: Present status, suggestions for the future. Report No. MMC-76/07 to the US Marine Mammal Commission, Washington , DC .
- and . 1982. Mother-pup separation and adoption in Northern elephant seals. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 11:203–215. ,
- 1992. Development and functions of signature whistles of free-ranging bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Ph.D. dissertation, MIT/WHOI Joint Program, WHOI 92-37, Woods Hole and Cambridge , MA .
- and . 1990. Signature whistles of free-ranging bottlenose dolphins Tursiops truncatus: Stability and mother-offspring comparisons. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 26:247–260. , ,
- and . 1995. Sex differences in whistle production in free-ranging bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 36:171–177. , , ,
- and . 1977. Dolphin births at Sea Life Park. Pages 77–84 in S. H.Ridgway and K.Benirschke, eds. Breeding dolphins: Present status, suggestions for the future. Report No. MMC-76/07 to the US Marine Mammal Commission, Washington , DC . ,
- and . 1993. Use of signature whistles during separations and reunions by wild bottlenose dolphin mothers and infants. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 33:393–402. ,
- and . 2001. Skeletons of terrestrial cetaceans and the relationship of whales to artiodactyls. Nature 413:277–281. , ,
- and . 1986. Neonatal mortality in two Indian Ocean bottlenose dolphins bred in captivity. Aquatic Mammals 12:83–86. ,
- 1981. Mutual mother–pup recognition in Galapagos fur seals and sea lions: Cues used and functional significance. Behaviour 78:21–42.
- 1986. Whistle repertoires of two bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus: Mimicry of signature whistles? Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 18:251–257.
- 2003. Lessons from long-term study and life history. Pages 32–56 in F. B. M.De Waal and P. L.Tyack, eds. Animal social complexity: Intelligence, culture, and individualized societies. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , MA .