Neonatal survival of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus)
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 443–461, July 2008
How to Cite
Kaplan, C. C., White, G. C. and Noon, B. R. (2008), Neonatal survival of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Marine Mammal Science, 24: 443–461. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00203.x
- Issue published online: 21 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2008
- Received: 20 August 2006Accepted: 30 May 2007
- 1973. Information theory as an extension of the maximum likelihood principle. Pages 267–281 in B. N.Petrov and F.Csaki, eds. Second International Symposium on Information Theory. Akademiai Kiado, Budapest , Hungary .
- 1974. Observation study of behaviour: Sampling methods. Behaviour 49:227–265.
- and . 2005. Alaska marine mammal stock assessments, 2005. U.S. Department of Commerce , NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-AFSC-161. 250 pp. ,
- and . 1970. Time series analysis: Forecasting and control. Holden-Day, London , UK . ,
- and . 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference. A practical information-theoretic approach. 2nd edition. Springer-Verlag, New York , NY . ,
- and . 1987. Design and analysis methods for fish survival experiments based on release-recapture. American Fisheries Society Monograph 5. , , ,
- and . 1988. Investigations of the decline of Steller sea lions in the Gulf of Alaska. Alaska Department of Fish and Game. 76 pp. Available from Alaska Department of Fish and Game, 333 Raspberry Road, Anchorage, AK 99518. ,
- and . 1982. Population assessment, ecology and trophic relationships of Steller sea lions in the Gulf of Alaska. Environmental assessment of the Alaskan Continental Shelf. Final Reports 19:455–546. ,
- and . 1992. Mortality of newborn pups of the South African fur seal Arctocephalus pusillus pusillus in Namibia. South African Journal of Marine Science 12:881–889. ,
- and . 1984. Density-dependent pup mortality in the Antarctic fur seal Arctocephalus gazella at South Georgia. Journal of Zoology (London) 202:449–460. ,
- 2002. A paradigm for population analysis of long-lived vertebrates. Ecology 83:2841–2854.
- and . 2005. Projecting the trend of Steller sea lion populations in western Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 21:728–738. ,
- and . 2006. A vital rate sensitivity analysis for nonstable age distributions and short-term planning. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:649–656. ,
- 1970. Social behavior of the Steller sea lion. Ph.D. thesis, University of California Santa Cruz , Santa Cruz , CA . 113 pp.
- 2004. Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in the Pacific Rim: Biological uncertainty and extinction risk. Pages 482–490 in H. R.Akcakaya et al. , eds. Species conservation and management: Case studies. Oxford University Press, New York , NY .
- and . 2004. The use of demographic sensitivity analysis in marine species conservation planning. Biological Conservation 120:121–128. ,
- and . 2001. Implications of three viability models for the conservation status of the western population of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Biological Conservation 102:261–269. ,
- 1992. Factors affecting early mortality in the South American fur seal (Arctocephalus australis) in Peru: Density-related effects and predation. Journal of Zoology (London) 226:259–270.
- and . 1988. Behavior and physiological measurement of maternal investment in the Steller sea lion, Eumetopias jubatus. Marine Mammal Science 4:44–58. , ,
- and . 2003. Using age structure to detect impacts on threatened populations: A case study with Steller sea lions. Conservation Biology 17:1794–1806. ,
- 1983. Seals of the world. Cornell University Press, Ithaca , NY .
- and . 2003. Adjusting multistate capture recapture models for misclassification bias: Manatee breeding proportions. Ecology 84:1058–1066. ,
- and . 1961. Abundance and distribution of the Steller sea lion. Journal of Mammalology 42:223–234. ,
- and . 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: A unified approach with case studies. Ecological Monographs 62:1–118. , ,
- 1987. An evaluation of a census-related disturbance of Steller sea lions. M.S. thesis, University of Alaska Fairbanks , Fairbanks , AK . 93 pp.
- 1997. Using the phylogeographic method to identify Steller sea lion stocks. Pages 159–171 in A.Dizon, S. J.Chivers and W. F.Perrin, eds. Molecular genetics of marine mammals. Special Publication No. 3, The Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence , KS .
- and . 1984. Northern sea lion distribution and abundance: 1956–80. Journal of Wildlife Management 48:729–740. ,
- 1998. Non-invasive monitoring of a reproducing population of Steller's sea lion. 2nd International Symposium on Physiology and Ethology of Wild and Zoo Animals Berlin, 7–10 October. 92 pp.
- 1973. Population kinetics and related ecology of the northern sea lion, Eumetopias jubatus, and the California sea lion, Zalophus californianus, along the Oregon coast. Ph.D. dissertation, Oregon State University , Corvallis , OR . 94 pp.
- and . 1995. A comparison of Steller sea lion, Eumetopias jubatus, pup masses between rookeries with increasing and decreasing populations. Fishery Bulletin 94:753–758. , ,
- and . 2003. Maternal attendance patterns of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) from stable and declining populations in Alaska. Canadian Journal of Zoology 81:340–348. ,
- and . 1990. Mathematical demography of spotted owls in the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Wildlife Management 54:18–27. ,
- and . 2005. Crossing significant boundaries: Evidence of mixed-stock origins of new Steller sea lion, Eumetopias jubatus, rookeries in Southeast Alaska. Abstract, 16th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, 12–16 December 2005 San Diego, CA. , ,
- and . 1967. Some observations on reproduction, growth, and social behavior in the Steller sea lion. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences 35:193–226. ,
- and . 2006. Survival of Steller sea lions in Alaska: A comparison of increasing and decreasing populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 84:1163–1172. , , , , , , ,
- and . 2001. Spatial and temporal variation in the timing of births of Steller sea lions in the Gulf of Alaska. Journal of Mammalogy 82:1047–1053. , , , , ,
- and . 2007. Abundance and distribution of the eastern North Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) population. Fishery Bulletin 107:102–115. , , , , , , ,
- and . 2002. Dispersal, rookery fidelity and metapopulation structure of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in an increasing and a decreasing population in Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 18:746–764. , , ,
- and . 1982. Mother-pup separation and adoption in northern elephant seals. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 11:203–215. ,
- 1990. The pinnipeds: Seals, sea lions, and walruses. University of California Press, Berkeley , CA .
- 1970. Breeding and maternal behavior of the Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska. M.S. thesis, University of Alaska , Fairbanks , AK . 138 pp.
- 1976. Courtship display, agonistic behavior and social dynamics in the Steller sea lion. Behaviour 57(1–2):136–158.
- 1981. Steller sea lion—Eumetopias jubatus (Schreber, 1776). Pages 119–142 in S. H.Ridgway and R.J.Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume 1. The walrus, sea lions, fur seal and sea otter. Academic Press, New York , NY .
- 1982. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. Macmillan, New York , NY .
- 2002. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. 2nd edition. Blackburn Press, Caldwell , NJ .
- 1993. Biased estimates of fur seal pup mass: Origins and implications. Journal of Zoology (London) 229:515–525.
- and . 1996. Changes in the abundance of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska from 1956 to 1992: How many were there? Aquatic Mammals 22:153–166. ,
- and . 1999. Program MARK: Survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46 (Suppl.):120–138. ,
- and . 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego . ,
- 1994. The population dynamics of northern sea lions, 1975–1985. Marine Mammal Science 10:38–51.
- and . 1996. An analysis of the Steller sea lion metapopulation in Alaska. Pages 259–292 in D.R.McCullough, ed. Metapopulations and wildlife conservation. Island Press, Washington , DC . ,