Current address: SMRU Ltd, 7 Woodburn Place, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8LA, Scotland.
A mobile acoustic localization system for the study of free-ranging dolphins during focal follows
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2008
© 2008 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 979–989, October 2008
How to Cite
Quick, N. J., Rendell, L. E. and Janik, V. M. (2008), A mobile acoustic localization system for the study of free-ranging dolphins during focal follows. Marine Mammal Science, 24: 979–989. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00231.x
- Issue published online: 22 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2008
- Received: 26 June 2007Accepted: 16 May 2008
- and . 2003. Automatic gain control in the echolocation system of dolphins. Nature 423:861–863. ,
- and . 2003. Echolocation signals of wild Atlantic spotted dolphin (Stenella frontalis). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 113:598–604. ,
- and . 2004. Echolocation signals of dusky dolphins (Lagenorhynchus obscurus) in Kaikora, New Zealand. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 115:2307–2313. ,
- 1998. Simple methods of estimating source levels and locations of marine animal sounds. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 104:1667–1678.
- 1980. A real-time direction finding device for determining the bearing to the underwater sounds of southern right whales, Eubalaena australis. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 68:508–511.
- and . 1986. A preliminary account of the acoustic study conducted during the 1985 spring bowhead whale, Balaena mysticetus, migration off Point Barrow, Alaska. Report of the International Whaling Commission 36:331–316. ,
- and . 2004. Signature-whistle production in undisturbed free-ranging bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 271:1043–1049. , ,
- and . 1993. Passive localization of the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin using whistles and echolocation clicks. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 93:2197–2205. ,
- 2005. Bubblestream whistles are not representative of a bottlenose dolphin's vocal repertoire. Marine Mammal Science 21:29–44.
- and . 2001. Localization and visual verification of a complex minke whale vocalization. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 109:3038–3047. ,
- and . 2005. Relative abundance of harbour porpoises (Phocoena phocoena) from acoustic and visual surveys of the Baltic Sea and adjacent waters during 2001 and 2002. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 7:51–57. , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Sperm whale distribution and seasonal density in the Faroe Shetland Channel. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 5:247–252. , , ,
- and . 2006. Diving deep in a foraging hotspot: Acoustic insights into bottlenose dolphin dive depths and feeding behaviour. Marine Biology 148:1181–1188. ,
- and . 2000. An inexpensive passive acoustic system for recording and localizing wild animal sounds. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 107:3552–3555. , , ,
- 2000a. Source levels and the estimated active space of bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) whistles in the Moray Firth, Scotland. Journal of Comparative Physiology A 186:673–680.
- 2000b. Whistle matching in wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Science 289:1355–1357.
- 2000c. Food-related bray calls in wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 267:923–927.
- and . 2000. A two-dimensional acoustic localization system for marine mammals. Marine Mammal Science 16:437–447. ,
- and . 2006. Signature whistle contour shape conveys identity information to bottlenose dolphins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences U. S. A. 103:8293–8297. ,
- and . 2003. Directionality in the whistles of Hawaiian spinner dolphins (Stenella longirostris): A signal feature to cue direction of movement? Marine Mammal Science 19:249–264. ,
- and . 1998. A small towed beamforming array to identify vocalizing resident killer whales (Orcinus orca) concurrent with focal behavioral observations. Deep-Sea Research II 45:1389–1405. ,
- and . 2000. Sperm whale clicks: Directionality and source level revisited. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 107:638–648. , , ,
- and . 2008. Whistle rates of wild bottlenose dolphins: Influences of group size and behavior. Journal of Comparative Psychology 122:305–311. ,
- and . 2004. Estimated transmission beam pattern of clicks recorded from free-ranging white-beaked dolphins (Lagenorhynchus albirostris). Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 116:1826–1831. ,
- and . 1993. Recording underwater sounds of free-ranging dolphins while underway in a small boat. Marine Mammal Science 9:209–213. ,
- and . 1993. Use of signature whistles during separations and reunions by wild bottlenose dolphin mothers and infants. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology 33:393–402. ,
- and . 1990. Passive localization of calling animals and sensing of their acoustic environment using acoustic tomography. American Naturalist 135:107–153. ,
- and . 2006. Three-dimensional localization of sperm whales using a single hydrophone. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 120:2355–2365. , , ,
- and . 2000. Display area size, tenure and site fidelity in the aquatic mating male harbour seal. Canadian Journal of Zoology 78:2209–2217. ,
- 2002. The acoustic behaviour of diving sperm whales observed with a hydrophone array. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 281:53–62.
- and . 2001. Estimating source position accuracy of a large-aperture hydrophone array for bioacoustics. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 109:397–406. ,
- and . 1972. Sound source location by arrival-times on a non-rigid three-dimensional hydrophone array. Deep-Sea Research 19:691–706. ,
- and . 1974. Listening to Hawaiian spinner porpoises, Stenella cf. longirostris, with a three-dimensional hydrophone array. Journal of Mammalogy 55:319–328. ,
- and . 2005. Signature whistle use by temporarily restrained and free-swimming bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Animal Behaviour 69:1373–1386. , ,