Movements and diving behavior of pelagic spotted dolphins
Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2008
No claim to original US government works
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 137–160, January 2009
How to Cite
Scott, M. D. and Chivers, S. J. (2009), Movements and diving behavior of pelagic spotted dolphins. Marine Mammal Science, 25: 137–160. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00241.x
- Issue online: 12 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 OCT 2008
- Received: 25 May 2007Accepted: 12 July 2008
- and . 1985. Dolphin habitats in the eastern tropical Pacific. Fishery Bulletin 83:623–643. ,
- and . 1988. Seabird relationships with tropical tunas and dolphins. Pages 174–121 in J.Berger, ed. Seabirds and other marine vertebrates: Competition, predation and other interactions. Columbia University Press, New York . ,
- and . 1980. At high speeds dolphins save energy by leaping. Nature 284:548–550. ,
- and . 2006. Oceanographic influences on seabirds and cetaceans of the eastern Pacific: A review. Progress in Oceanography 69:360–390. ,
- and . 2001. Subsurface and nighttime behaviour of pantropical spotted dolphins in Hawaii. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:988–996. , ,
- and . 1992. Diving and haulout behavior of crabeater seals in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica, during March 1986. Polar Biology 12:635–644. ,
- and . 2003. Prey dynamics affect foraging by a pelagic predator (Stenella longirostris) over a range of spatial and temporal scales. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 53:364–373. ,
- and . 2004. Dusky dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obscurus) foraging in two different habitats: Active acoustic detection of dolphins and their prey. Marine Mammal Science 20:215–231. ,
- 1975. The role of light in the vertical migration of fish—a review. Pages 189–210 in G. C.Evans, R.Bainbridge and O.Rackham, eds. Light as an ecological factor: II. Blackwell, Oxford , UK. .
- and . 2005. Generation of upwelling near the Pacific coast of Mexico. Physical Oceanography 15:27–36. , ,
- and . 1980. Radio tracking of dolphins in the eastern tropical Pacific using VHF and HF equipment. Pages 757–759 in C.Amlaner and D.MacDonald, eds. A handbook on biotelemetry and radio tracking. Pergamon, New York . ,
- and . 1972. Removing porpoise from a tuna purse seine. Marine Fisheries Review 34(11–12):15–19. ,
- and . 2000. The bottlenose dolphin: Social relationships in a fission-fusion society. Pages 91–126 in J.Mann, R.Connor, P.Tyack and H.Whitehead, eds. Cetacean societies: Field studies of dolphins and whales. Chicago University Press, Chicago , IL . , ,
- and . 1996. Diving behavior and at-sea movements of an Atlantic spotted dolphin in the Gulf of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science 12:569–581. , ,
- 1962. The sea's deep scattering layers. Scientific American 207(2):44–50.
- and . 1994. Stocks of dolphins (Stenella spp. and Delphinus delphis) in the eastern tropical Pacific: A phylogeographic classification. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration Technical Report NMFS 119. 20 pp. ,
- 1971. Orientation behavior of delphinids: Radio telemetric studies. Annals of the New York Academy of Science 188:142–160. .
- 1974. Radio-telemetric studies of two species of small odontocete cetaceans. Pages 385–394 in W.Schevill, ed. The whale problem: A status report. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , MA . .
- and . 1998. Dolphin prey abundance determined from acoustic backscatter data in eastern Pacific surveys. Fishery Bulletin, U.S. 96:237–247. , ,
- and . 2006. Hydrography of the eastern tropical Pacific: A review. Progress in Oceanography 69:143–180. ,
- and . 1968. Fish otoliths in cetacean stomachs and their importance in interpreting feeding habits. Journal of the Fishery Research Board of Canada 25:2561–2574. ,
- 1999. Relaciones tróficas ínterespecíficas de la comunidad de depredadores epipelágicos del Océano Pacífico oriental. Ph.D. thesis, Centro de Investigación Científica y de Educación Superior de Ensenada, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico. 212 pp.
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC). 2004. 2003 annual report. 98 pp. [In English and Spanish]
- 1990. Observations of long Rossby waves in the northern tropical Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research—Oceans 95:5183–5217. .
- and . 1979. Some recent uses and potentials of radiotelemetry in field studies of cetaceans. Pages 1–31 in H.Winn and B.Olla, eds. Behavior of marine animals. Volume 3. Cetaceans. Plenum, New York . ,
- and . 1979. Nighttime swimming and diving behavior of a radio-tagged spotted dolphin, Stenella attenuata. Cetology 34:1–6. ,
- and . 2000. Body size and skeletal muscle myoglobin of cetaceans: Adaptations for maximizing dive duration. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Part A 126:181–191. ,
- and . 1980. The structure and function of cetacean schools. Pages 211–261 in L.Herman, ed. Cetacean behavior: Mechanisms and functions. Wiley, New York . ,
- 1969. Color pattern of the eastern Pacific spotted porpoise, Stenella graffmani Lönnberg (Cetacea, Delphinidae). Zoologica 54:135–142, pl. 1–7. .
- and . 1973. Stomach contents of porpoise, Stenella spp., and yellowfin tuna, Thunnus albacares, in mixed-species aggregations. Fishery Bulletin 71:1077–1092. , ,
- and . 1979. Movements of pelagic dolphins (Stenella spp.) in the eastern tropical Pacific as indicated by results of tagging, with summary of tagging operations, 1969–1976. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration Technical Report NMFS SSRF-737. 14 pp. ,
- and . 1985. Review of geographical stocks of tropical dolphins (Stenella spp. and Delphinus delphis) in the eastern Pacific. National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration Technical Report NMFS 28. 28 pp. , ,
- 1990. Seasonal changes in distribution and habitat differences among dolphins in the eastern tropical Pacific. Marine Ecology Progress Series 66:1–11. .
- and . 1997. Prey occurrence in pantropical spotted dolphins, Stenella attenuata, from the eastern tropical Pacific. Fishery Bulletin 95:334–348. ,
- and . 1998. Diel patterns in aggregations of pelagic dolphins and tunas in the eastern Pacific. Marine Mammal Science 14:401–428. ,
- and . 1991. Using aerial photogrammetry to study dolphin school structure. Pages 227–241 in K.Pryor and K. S.Norris, eds. Dolphin societies: Discoveries and puzzles. University of California Press, Los Angeles , CA . ,
- and . 1983. Movements of a Hawaiian spotted dolphin. Pages 353–364 in D.Pincock, ed. Proceedings of the Fourth International Wildlife Biotelemetry Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia , Canada . 364 pp. ,
- and . 1990. Tagging and marking studies on small cetaceans. Pages 489–514 in S.Leatherwood and R.Reeves, eds. The bottlenose dolphin. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . , ,
- and . 2001. A note on the release and tracking of a rehabilitated pygmy sperm whale (Kogia breviceps). Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 3:87–94. , , , ,
- and . 1965. Stomach contents of a dolphin caught in Hawaiian waters. Journal of Mammalogy 46:500–501. ,
- and . 1999. The effect of a lunar eclipse on the vertical migration behaviour of Meganyctiphanes norvegica (Crustacea: Euphausiacea) in the Ligurian Sea. Journal of Plankton Research 21:1475–1488. ,
- 1992. Analysis of data from time-depth recorders and satellite-linked time-depth recorders: Report of a technical workshop. Institute of Marine Science, University of Alaska , Fairbanks , AK . 29 pp. . [convener].
- and . 2003. Feeding habits of the pantropical spotted dolphin, Stenella attenuata, off the eastern coast of Taiwan. Zoological Studies 42:368–378. , ,
- and . 1999. Bottlenose dolphin—Tursiops truncatus (Montagu, 1821). Pages 137–182 in S. H.Ridgway and R.Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume 6. Academic Press, San Diego , CA . ,
- and . 2007. A new device to remotely measure heat flux and skin temperature from free-swimming dolphins. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 346:45–59. , , , ,
- and . 1995. Artifacts arising from sampling interval in dive depth studies of marine endotherms. Polar Biology 15:575–581. , ,
- 1966. Oceanography of the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean. Oceanography and Marine Biology Annual Review 4:33–68. .
- and . 1999. Tracking experiments of the jumbo flying squid, Dosidicus gigas, with an ultrasonic telemetry system in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Bulletin of the National Research Institute of Far Seas Fisheries 36:55–60. ,