Determination of steroid hormones in whale blow: It is possible
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2009
© 2009 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 605–618, July 2009
How to Cite
Hogg, C. J., Rogers, T. L., Shorter, A., Barton, K., Miller, P. J. O. and Nowacek, D. (2009), Determination of steroid hormones in whale blow: It is possible. Marine Mammal Science, 25: 605–618. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2008.00277.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2009
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2009
- Received: 5 November 2008Accepted: 5 November 2008
- and . 1999. Monitoring of progesterone in captive female false killer whales, Pseudorca crassidens. General and Comparative Endocrinology 115:323–332. , , , ,
- and . 1996. Validation of liquid chromatographic and gas chromatographic methods: Applications to pharmacokinetics. Journal of Chromatography B 686:3–10. ,
- 1982. Metabolism of progesterone by the nasal mucosa in mice and rats. Acta Pharmacology and Toxicology (Copenhagen) 51:441–445.
- 1985. Localization of oestradiol in the rat nasal mucosa. Acta Pharmacology and Toxicology (Copenhagen) 57:285–290.
- and . 1984. Steroid metabolism by rat nasal mucosa: Studies on progesterone and testosterone. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry 20:1147–1151. ,
- 1956. Southern right whale in Australian waters. Journal of Mammalogy 37:456–457.
- 1958. The breeding cycle of the female humpback whale, Megaptera nodosa (Bonnaterre). Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 9:1–18.
- 1965. Dynamics of two populations of the humpback whale, Megaptera novaengliae (Borowski). Australian Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 16:33–128.
- and . 1982. Saliva progesterone throughout the menstrual cycle and late pregnancy. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 60:410–413. ,
- and . 2006. Urinary cortisol sampling: A non-invasive technique for examining cortisol concentrations in the Weddell seal, Leptonychotes weddellii. Zoo Biology 25:137–144. , , ,
- and . 2004. Saliva sampling to assess cortisol levels in unrestrained common marmosets and the effect of behavioral stress. American Journal of Primatology 62:107–114. ,
- and . 2000. Reproductive monitoring of free-ranging female mountain gorillas by urinary hormone analysis. American Journal of Primatology 51:209–215. ,
- and . 2001. Assessment of reproduction and stress through hormone analysis in gorillas. Cambridge Studies in Biological and Evolutionary Anthropology 27:317–339. ,
- 1956. Whale marking in South Pacific waters. The Norwegian Whaling Gazette 9:485–508.
- and . 1998. Textbook of veterinary histology. 5th edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore , MD . ,
- and . 2004. Non-invasive monitoring of fecal androgens in spotted hyenas (Crocuta crocuta). General and Comparative Endocrinology 135:51–61. , , , ,
- and . 2001. Report of the workshop on status and trends of western North Atlantic right whales. Journal of Cetacean Research Management (Special Issue) 2:61–87. , ,
- and . 1986. Salivary progesterone and luteal function in two low-fertility populations of northwest Zaire. Human Biology 58:473–783. ,
- and . 2005. Japan's whaling plan under scrutiny. Nature 435:883–884. , ,
- and . 1990. Reproduction in the humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) in Hawaiian waters, 1975–1988: The life history, reproductive rates and behavior of known individuals identified through surface and underwater photography. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):161–169. ,
- and . 2002. Endocrine patterns associated with reproduction in the Nile hippopotamus (Hippoptamus amphibius) as assessed by fecal progestagen analysis. General and Comparative Endocrinology 128:74–81. , , ,
- and . 1999. Salivary testosterone determination studies of child health and development. Hormones and Behaviour 35:18–27. , ,
- and . 1995. Identification of sex hatching loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta) by analysis of steroid concentrations in chorioallantoic/amniotic fluid. General and Comparative Endocrinology 99:204–210. , , ,
- and . 1999. Adrenal function in wild and rehabilitated Pacific harbor seals (Phoca vitulina richardii) and in seals with phocine herpesvirus-associated adrenal necrosis. Marine Mammal Science 15:810–827. , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Comparative urinary androstanes in the great apes. General and Comparative Endocrinology 130:64–69. ,
- and . 1999. A catalog of identified right whales from the western North Atlantic: 1935–1999. New England Aquarium, Boston , MA . ,
- and . 2005. Determination of testosterone in saliva and blow of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography B 814:339–346. ,
- and . 2006. Analysis of fecal glucocorticoids in the North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis). General and Comparative Endocrinology 148:260–272. , ,
- and . 2003. Measuring saliva progesterone in the California sea lion Zalophus californianus. Japanese Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 8:135–138. , , ,
- and . 1990. Changes in adrenal cortisol secretion as reflected in urinary cortisol/creatinine ratios in dogs. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 7:559–572. , , ,
- and . 2002. An efficient ethanol-based analytical protocol to quantify fecal steroids in marine sediments. Journal of Brazilian Chemical Society 13:226–232. ,
- and . 2005. Enhanced: North Atlantic right whales in crisis. Science 22:561–562. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1987. Hormonal control in crocodilians. Pages 409–415 in G. J. W.Webb, S. C.Manolis and P. J.Whitehead, eds. Wildlife management: Crocodiles and alligators. Surrey Beatty & Sons, Chipping Norton , NSW , Australia .
- and . 2001. Overwinter changes in the urine chemistry of muskoxen from Banks Island. Journal of Wildlife Management 65:226–234. ,
- and . 2000. Techniques for collecting saliva from awake, unrestrained, adult monkeys for cortisol assay. American Journal of Primatology 52:93–99. , ,
- 1943. The southern stocks of whalebone whales. Discovery Reports 22:199–300.
- and . 2004. Evaluation of adrenal function in serum and feces of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus): Influences of molt, gender, sample storage, and age on glucocorticoid metabolism. General and Comparative Endocrinology 136:371–381. ,
- and . 1999. A two-step extraction method to measure fecal steroid hormones in female cynomolgus monkeys (Macaca fascicularis). American Journal of Primatology 48:2914–298. , , ,
- and . 2004. Swimming gaits, passive drag, and buoyancy of diving sperm whales Physeter macrocephalus. Journal of Experimental Biology 207:1953–1967. , ,
- and . 2001. Ultrasonic measurement of blubber thickness in right whales. Journal of Cetacean Research Management (Special Issue) 2:301–309. , , , , , ,
- and . 1999. The functional morphology of marine mammals. Pages 15–72 in J. E. I.Reynolds and S. A.Rommel, eds. Biology of marine mammals. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , DC . ,
- and . 1994. Concentrations of estrone sulfate and progesterone in plasma and saliva, vaginal cytology, and bioelectric impedance during the estrous cycle of the Hawaiian monk seal (Monachus schauinslandi). Marine Mammal Science 10:430–441. ,
- 1989. Reproductive patterns in dogs. Pages 460–475 in L. E.McDonald and M. H.Pineda, eds. Veterinary endocrinology and reproduction. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia , PA .
- and . 2001. Causes of reproductive failure in North Atlantic right whale: New avenues of research. Northeast Fisheries Science Center Reference Document 01–16. 55 pp. ,
- and . 1982. Steroids in saliva for assessing endocrine function. Endocrine Review 3:67–95. , ,
- and . 1969. Respiration and deep diving in the bottlenose porpoise. Science 166:1651–1654. ,
- and . 1993. Analysis of urinary immunoreactive steroid metabolites and gonadotropins for characterization of the estrous cycle, breeding period, and seasonal estrous activity of captive killer whales (Orcinus orca). Zoo Biology 12:173–187. , , , , ,
- and . 2005. Assessing reproductive status of right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) using fecal hormone metabolites. General and Comparative Endocrinology 142:308–317. , ,
- and . 2006. Fecal sampling using detection dogs to study reproduction and health in North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis). Journal of Cetacean Research Management 8:121–125. , , , ,
- and . 2000. Effects of weather on corticosterone responses in wild free-living passerine birds. General and Comparative Endocrinology 118:113–122. ,
- and . 1998. Seasonal reproductive cycle of the Kemp's Ridley sea turtle (Lepidochelys kempi). General and Comparative Endocrinology 109:232–243. , , ,
- and . 1983. Testosterone concentrations in human seminal plasma and saliva and its correlation with non-protein-bound and total testosterone levels in serum. International Journal of Andrology 6:319–330. , ,
- and . 2002. Gender differences in the validity of testosterone measured in saliva by immunoassay. Hormones and Behavior 42:62–69. ,
- and . 2000. Assessing estradiol in biobehavioral studies using saliva and blood spots: Simple radioimmunoassay protocols, reliability, and comparative validity. Hormones and Behavior 38:137–147. , , , ,
- and . 2002. Urinary androgen and corticoid levels in captive, male western lowland gorillas (Gorilla g. gorilla): Age- and social group-related differences. American Journal of Primatology 56:73–87. , ,
- and . 1998. Monitoring total androgen concentrations in saliva from captive Hawaiian monk seals (Monachus schauinsland). Marine Mammal Science 14:304–310. ,
- and . 2001. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of bradykinin in saliva: A critical review and a new method. Journal of Chromatography B 755:101–110. , , ,
- and . 1987. The measurement of hormones in saliva: Possibilities and pitfalls. Journal of Steroid Biochemistry 27(1–3):81–94. ,
- and . 1988. Urinary concentrations of ovarian steroid hormone metabolites and bioactive follicle-stimulating hormone in killer whales (Orcinus orca) during ovarian cycles and pregnancy. Biology of Reproduction 39:1013–1020. , , , , , ,
- and . 2000. Concentrations of progesterone in milk from bottlenose dolphins during different reproductive states. General and Comparative Endocrinology 117:218–224. , , , ,