Insights into the population structure of blue whales in the Eastern North Pacific from recent sightings and photographic identification
Version of Record online: 15 APR 2009
© 2009 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 816–832, October 2009
How to Cite
Calambokidis, J., Barlow, J., Ford, J. K. B., Chandler, T. E. and Douglas, A. B. (2009), Insights into the population structure of blue whales in the Eastern North Pacific from recent sightings and photographic identification. Marine Mammal Science, 25: 816–832. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2009.00298.x
- Issue online: 22 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 15 APR 2009
- Received: 14 March 2008Accepted: 5 January 2009
- and . 2002. High costs limit dive time in the largest whales. Journal of Experimental Biology 205:1747–1753. ,
- 1994. Abundance of large whales in California coastal waters: A comparison of ship surveys in 1979/80 and in 1991. Report of the International Whaling Commission 44:399–406.
- and . 2007. Abundance and population density of cetaceans in the California Current ecosystem. Fisheries Bulletin 105:509–526. ,
- and . 2002. Ecological effects of regime shifts in the Bering Sea and eastern North Pacific Ocean. Fish and Fisheries 3:95–113. ,
- and . 2003. Decadal variability in abundances of the dominant euphausiid species in southern sectors of the California Current. Deep-Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 50:2449–2472. ,
- and . 1987. Aerial surveys of endangered cetaceans and other marine mammals in the northwestern Gulf of Alaska and southeastern Bering Sea. Report (unpublished) to the Minerals Management Service, Alaska OCS Office, and NOAA Office of Oceanography and Marine Assessment, Alaska Office. Available from National Technical Information Service PB89234652, available from http://www.ntis.gov. , ,
- and . 1988. Shipboard surveys of endangered cetaceans in the northwestern Gulf of Alaska. Report (unpublished) to the Minerals Management Service, Alaska OCS Office, and NOAA Office of Oceanography and Marine Assessment, Alaska Office. Available from National Technical Information Service PB89234660, available from http://www.ntis.gov. , ,
- and . 1985. Seasonal abundance, distribution and population characteristics of blue whales reported in the 1917 and 1939 catch records of two Alaska whaling stations. Report of the International Whaling Commission 35:405–411. ,
- and . 2004. Abundance of blue and humpback whales in the eastern North Pacific estimated by capture-recapture and line-transect methods. Marine Mammal Science 20:63–85. ,
- and . 2007. Insights into the underwater diving, feeding, and calling behavior of blue whales from a suction-cup attached video-imaging tag (Crittercam). Marine Technology Society Journal 41:15–25. , , , , , , ,
- and . 1989. Biology of blue whales in the Gulf of the Farallones and adjacent areas of California. Report by Cascadia Research (unpublished) to Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary, San Francisco , CA . 58 pp. Abstract available at http://www.cascadiaresearch.org/abstracts/abstract.htm#bmCA89. , ,
- and . 1990. Sightings and movements of blue whales off central California 1986–88 from photo-identification of individuals. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):343–348. , , , , , ,
- and . 1997. Catches of humpback and other whales from shore stations at Moss Landing and Trinidad, California. Marine Mammal Science 13:369–394. , ,
- and . 2001. The diving behavior of blue and fin whales: Is diving duration shorter than expected based on oxygen stores. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A 129:797–809. , ,
- and . 2006. The sequential megafaunal collapse hypothesis: Testing with existing data. Progress in Oceanography 68:329–342. , , , , ,
- and . 1983. Cetaceans of central and northern California, 1980–1983: Status, abundance, and distribution. Report (unpublished) by the Center for Marine Studies, University of California , Santa Cruz, to Minerals Management Service, OCS Study MMS 84-0045. 284 pp. Available from National Technical Information Service PB85183861, http://www.ntis.gov. , ,
- 1991. A review of IWC stock boundaries. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 13):39–68.
- and . 1994. Killer whales and other cetaceans of the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii. Report by the Vancouver Aquarium (unpublished) to South Moresby/Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, Canadian Parks Service. 46 pp. , ,
- and . 1996. Preliminary report of the 1994 Aleutian Island Marine Mammal Survey. Working paper SC/48/O11 presented to the International Whaling Commission, June 1996, Aberdeen , Scotland . ,
- and . 2008. Geographic variation in external morphology of North Pacific and Southern Hemisphere blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus). Journal Cetacean Research and Management 10:9–21. .,
- and . 1992. Cetacean distribution and abundance off Oregon and Washington, 1989–1990. Page 100 in J. J.Brueggeman, ed. Oregon and Washington marine mammal and seabird surveys. Report (unpublished) by Ebasco Environmental, Bellevue, Washington , and Ecological Consulting, Inc., Portland , Oregon , for the Minerals Management Service, OCS Study MMS-912-0093. Available from National Technical Information Service PB93173755, http://www.ntis.gov. , , , ,
- and . 2001. Predictions of critical habitat for five whale species in the waters of coastal British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:1265–1285. ,
- and . 2003. Ocean warming and seabird communities of the southern California Current System (1987–98): Response at multiple temporal scales. Deep-Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 50:2537–2565. ,
- and . 1967. Some results of the Soviet whale marking in the waters of the North Pacific. Norsk Hvalfangst-Tidende 57:123–129. ,
- and . 1982. Whales, dolphins, and porpoises of the Eastern North Pacific and adjacent waters. A guide to their identification. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Report NMFS Circular 444. 245 pp. Available from National Technical Information Service PB84135813, http://www.ntis.gov. , ,
- and . 2002. The Pacific decadal oscillation. Journal of Oceanography 58:35–44. ,
- and . 1999. Movements of North Pacific blue whales during the feeding season off southern California and southern fall migration. Marine Mammal Science 15:1246–1257. ,
- and . 1994. Blue and fin whales observed on a seafloor array in the Northeast Pacific. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 98:712–721. ,
- and . 2002. British Columbia commercial whaling catch data 1908 to 1967: A detailed description of the B.C. historical whaling database. Candadian Technical Report of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 2396. iv + 76 pp. , , , , ,
- and . 1969. Marine mammals of British Columbia. Fisheries Research Board of Canada Bulletin 171:1–54. ,
- and . 1996. Occurrence patterns and trends of cetaceans recorded from southeast Farallon Island, California, 1973 to 1994. Northwestern Naturalist 77:1–8. ,
- and . 2006. Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) sightings and recordings south of the Aleutian Islands. Marine Mammal Science 22:708–713. ,
- and . 1985. Whaling results at Akutan (1912–1939) and Port Hobron (1926–1937), Alaska. Report of the International Whaling Commission 35:441–457. , ,
- and . 1990. Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) distribution in the eastern tropical Pacific. Marine Mammal Science 6:265–277. ,
- 1963. Progress report on biological studies of the larger cetacea in the waters off California. Norsk Hvalfangst-Tidende 7:181–187.
- 1966. Blue whales in the waters off Baja California. Report (unpublished) to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission.
- 1974. Whales and whale research in the eastern North Pacific. Pages 170–195 in W. E.Schevill, D. G.Ray and K. S.Norris, eds. The whale problem. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , MA .
- 1992. The blue whales of the southeastern North Pacific Ocean. AFSC Quarterly Report, Oct-Nov-Dec 1992, Alaska Fisheries Science Center, National Marine Fisheries Service, Seattle , WA .
- and . 1982. Whale census in the Gulf of Alaska, June to August 1980. Report of the International Whaling Commission 32:491–497. ,
- 1987. The Farallon Islands 1542–1986, an ecosystem review. Unpublished report, P. O. Box 620458, Woodside , CA . 239 pp.
- and . 2005. Fisheries acoustics: Theory and practice. 2nd edition. Blackwell Science, Oxford , UK . ,
- and . 1986. Distribution of cetaceans and sea-surface chlorophyll concentrations in the California Current. Marine Biology 91:385–402. , , ,
- and . 2003. Sequential megafaunal collapse in the North Pacific Ocean: An ongoing legacy of industrial whaling? Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100:12223–12228. , , , , , ,
- 2003. Two types of blue whale calls recorded in the Gulf of Alaska. Marine Mammal Science 19:682–693.
- and . 1998. A comparison of the acoustic signals produced by blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) in the North Pacific and their use in stock differentiation. Page 127 in Abstracts for the World Marine Mammal Science Conference, Monaco, 20–24 January 1998. Society for Marine Mammalogy , Lawrence , KS . ,
- and . 2001. Geographic and seasonal variation of blue whale calls in the North Pacific. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 3:65–76. ,
- and . 1989. Size and age class of blue and humpback whales in a central California feeding area. Page 64 in Abstracts Eighth Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals, Pacific Grove, California, 7–11 December. Society for Marine Mammalogy, Lawrence , KS . , , ,
- and . 1987. Aerial surveys for cetaceans in the former Akutan, Alaska, whaling grounds. Arctic 40:33–42. , , ,
- and . 2006. Planktivorous auklet Ptychoramphus aleuticus responses to ocean climate, 2005: Unusual atmospheric blocking? Geophysical Research Letters 33, L22S09, doi:DOI: 10.1029/2006GL026736. , , , , , , ,
- and . 1985. Summer and autumn sightings of marine mammals in the Gulf of the Farallones, California 1983–1984. Report (unpublished) to Oceanic Society Expeditions, San Francisco , CA . ,
- and . 1982. A long-term study of low frequency sound from several species of whales off Oahu, Hawaii. Cetology 45:1–19. ,
- and . 2007. Killer whales, whaling and sequential megafaunal collapse in the North Pacific: A comparative analysis of the dynamics of marine mammals in Alaska and British Columbia following commercial whaling. Marine Mammal Science 23:751–765. , , ,
- 1980. Japanese whaling and whale sighting in the North Pacific 1978 whaling season. Report of the International Whaling Commission 30:415–424.
- and . 1979. Recent sightings of the blue whale, Balaenoptera musculus, in the northeastern tropical Pacific. Fisheries Bulletin 76:915–919. ,
- and . 2007. Killer whales and marine mammal trends in the North Pacific—a re-examination of evidence for sequential megafauna collapse and the prey-switching hypothesis. Marine Mammal Science 23:766–802. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1983. Autumn sightings of marine mammals and birds near Cordell Bank, California 1981–82. Cordell Bank Expeditions, Walnut Creek , CA (unpublished). 44 pp. ,