A simple laser photogrammetry technique for measuring Hector's dolphins (Cephalorhynchus hectori) in the field
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
© 2009 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 26, Issue 2, pages 296–308, April 2010
How to Cite
Webster, T., Dawson, S. and Slooten, E. (2010), A simple laser photogrammetry technique for measuring Hector's dolphins (Cephalorhynchus hectori) in the field. Marine Mammal Science, 26: 296–308. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2009.00326.x
- Issue published online: 15 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
- Received: 6 October 2008Accepted: 2 April 2009
- 1992. Ageing live Antarctic fur seals and southern elephant seals. Marine Mammal Science 8:37–43. , , and .
- 2002. Geographical variation in Hector's dolphin: Recognition of new subspecies of Cephalorhynchus hectori. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 32:713–727. , and .
- 1990. A new, old method for assessing measurement error in both univariate and multivariate morphometric studies. Systematic Zoology 39:124–130. , and .
- 2005. Growth of female southern elephant seals Mirounga leonina at Macquarie Island. Polar Biology 28:395–401. , , and .
- 1992. Aerial photogrammetry of southern right whales, Eubalaena australis. Journal of the Zoological Society of London 228:595–614. , and .
- 1999. An application of close range photogrammetry in dolphin studies. Photogrammetric Record 16:503–517. , and .
- 1999. A combined stereo-grammetry and underwater-video system to study group composition of dolphins. Helgoland Marine Research 53:122–128. , , , and .
- 2006. Using photogrammetry and color scoring to assess sexual dimorphism in wild western gorillas (Gorilla gorilla). American Journal of Physical Anthropology 134:369–382. , and .
- 1999. Modelling survival of Hector's dolphins around Banks Peninsula, New Zealand. Journal of Agriculture, Biological and Environmental Statistics 4:126–135. , , , and .
- 2004. Ageing live New Zealand sea lions (Phocarctos hookeri) using the first post-canine tooth. Wildlife Research 31:177–181. , and .
- 2000. Aspects of growth in captive killer whales (Orcinus orca). Marine Mammal Science 16:110–123. , and .
- 2006. Extracting fish size using dual underwater cameras. Aquacultural Engineering 35:218–227. , , , and .
- 1987. Size-class segregation of bowhead whales discerned through aerial stereo-photogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science 3:179–185. , and .
- 1995. An inexpensive stereophotographic technique to measure sperm whales from small boats. Report of the International Whaling Commission 45:431–436. , , and .
- 2005. Autopsy of cetaceans including those incidentally caught in commercial fisheries, 2002/03. DOC Science Internal Series 195. Department of Conservation, Wellington , New Zealand . 22 pp. , and .
- 2003. Autopsy of cetaceans incidentally caught in fishing operations 1997/98, 1999/00 and 2000/01. DOC Science Internal Series 119. Department of Conservation, Wellington , New Zealand . 66 pp. , and .
- 2004. Autopsy of cetaceans incidentally caught in commercial fisheries, and all beachcast specimens of Hector's dolphins, 2001/02. DOC Science Internal Series 176. Department of Conservation, Wellington , New Zealand . 28 pp. , and .
- 2006. Laser-metrics of free ranging killer whales. Marine Mammal Science 22:735–743. , and .
- 2000. Aerial videogrammetry from a tethered airship to assess manatee life-stage structure. Marine Mammal Science 16:617–630. , , , and .
- 1998. In-situ videography calibrated with two parallel lasers for calculation of fish length. California Fish and Game 84:36–39. , and .
- 1825. On the nature of the function expressive of the law of human mortality and on a new method of determining the value of life contingencies. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London 115:513–585.
- 1991. Evaluation of a method for determining the length of sperm whales (Physeter catodon) from their vocalisations. Journal of Zoology 224:301–314.
- 1998. Age structure and longevity in North Atlantic right whales Eubalaena glacialis and their relation to reproduction. Marine Ecology Progress Series 171:285–292. , , and .
- 2006. A simple photogrammetric technique to measure sperm whales at sea. Marine Mammal Science 22:862–879.
- 1986. The use of photographs to identify individual North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis). Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 10):145–151. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Fish assemblages around seven oil platforms in the Santa Barbara Channel area. Fishery Bulletin 98:96–117. , and .
- 1993. Reproductive parameters of female long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas) around the Faroe Islands. Report of the International Whaling Commission 14:263–304. , and .
- 2006. Sexual dimorphism and body scarring in the boto (Amazon river dolphin) Inia geoffrensis. Marine Mammal Science 22:25–33. , and .
- 1984. Calibration of dental layers in seven captive Hawaiian spinner dolphins, Stenella longirostris based on tetracycline labeling. Fishery Bulletin 82:207–225. ., , and .
- Perrin, W. F., and A. C.Myrick, Jr., eds. 1980. Age determination of toothed whales and sirenians. Report of the International Whaling Commission (No. 3).
- 1993. Identification of geographic forms of common dolphin (Delphinus delphis) from aerial photogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science 9:119–137. , and .
- 1998. A new geographic form of the spinner dolphin (Stenella longirostris) detected with aerial photogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science 14:38–50. , and .
- 2004. Visual health assessment of North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) using photographs. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:8–19. , , , , and .
- 2002. Morphology of the franciscana (Pontoporia blainvillei) off southeastern Brazil: Sexual dimorphism, growth and geographic variation. Latin American Journal of Marine Mammals 1:129–144. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Photogrammetric estimates of allometry and calf production in fin whales, Balaenoptera physalus. Journal of Mammalogy 74:323–330. , and .
- 1959. A flexible growth function for empirical use. Journal of Experimental Botany 10:290–300.
- 2006. Precision and accuracy of fish length measurements obtained with two visual underwater methods. Fishery Bulletin 104:1–9. , and .
- 2009. Determining the gender of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops sp.) using dorsal fin photographs. Marine Mammal Science 25:19–34. , and .
- 2006. Digital photogrammetry and laser rangefinder techniques to measure African elephants. South African Journal of Wildlife Research 36:1–7. , and .
- 1991. Age, growth and reproduction in Hector's dolphins. Canadian Journal of Zoology 69:1689–1700.
- 1991. Population biology and conservation of Hector's dolphin. Canadian Journal of Zoology 69:1701–1707. , and .
- 2000. Measuring sizes of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) by underwater videogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science 16:664–676. , and .
- 1938. A quantitative theory of organic growth. Human Biology 10:181.
- 2007. Three-dimensional photogrammetry as a tool for estimating morphometrics and body mass of Steller sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 64:296–303. , , and .
- 2000. Habitat association of deepwater rockfishes in a submarine canyon. Fishery Bulletin 98:625–641. , , , and .