Diving behavior of a false killer whale, Pseudorca crassidens, in the Kuroshio–Oyashio transition region and the Kuroshio front region of the western North Pacific
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2011
© 2011 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 177–185, January 2013
How to Cite
Minamikawa, S., Watanabe, H. and Iwasaki, T. (2013), Diving behavior of a false killer whale, Pseudorca crassidens, in the Kuroshio–Oyashio transition region and the Kuroshio front region of the western North Pacific. Marine Mammal Science, 29: 177–185. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2011.00532.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2011
- Received: 27 January 2010 Accepted: 29 July 2011
- 2008. Cheetahs of the deep sea: Deep foraging sprints in short-finned pilot whales off Tenerife (Canary Islands). Journal of Animal Ecology 77:936–947. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Stomach contents of false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) stranded on the coasts of the Strait of Magellan, Tierra del Fuego. Marine Mammal Science 15:712–724. , , , and .
- 2002. False killer whale Pseudorca crassidens. Pages 411–412 in W. F. Perrin, B. Würsig and J. G. M. Thewissen, eds. Encyclopedia of marine mammals. Academic Press, London , UK .
- 2001. Subsurface and nighttime behaviour of pantropical spotted dolphins in Hawaii. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:988–996. , , and .
- 2005. Factors influencing the diving behaviour of fish-eating killer whales: Sex differences and diel and interannual variation in diving rates. Canadian Journal of Zoology 83:257–267. , and .
- 2008. False killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) around the main Hawaiian Islands: Long-term site fidelity, inter-island movements, and association patterns. Marine Mammal Science 24:591–612. , , , et al .
- 1993. Diving behavior during foraging in breeding Adélie penguins. Ecology 74:1204–1215. , , and .
- 1971. Orientation behavior of delphinids: Radio telemetric studies. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 188:142–160.
- 1998. Comparative kinematics and hydrodynamics of odontocete cetaceans: Morphological and ecological correlates with swimming performance. Journal of Experimental Biology 201:2867–2877.
- 2002. Entrainment of coastal water into a frontal eddy of the Kuroshio and its biological significance. Journal of Marine Systems 37:185–198. , , and .
- 1972. Hydrography of the Kuroshio and the Oyashio. Pages 129–320 in J. Masuzawa, ed. Physical oceanography II: Fundamental lectures on oceanography. [In Japanese.]Tokai University Press. Tokyo , Japan .
- 1989. Diverse divers. Springer-Verlag, Berlin , Germany .
- 2000. Maintenance of neutral buoyancy by depth selection in the loggerhead turtle Caretta caretta. The Journal of Experimental Biology 203:2967–2975. , , , , and .
- 2007. Diving behaviour of a Baird's beaked whale, Berardius bairdii, in the slope water region of the western North Pacific: First dive records using a data logger. Fisheries Oceanography 16:573–577. , and .
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. 2006. The Japanese Pharmacopoeia. Fifteenth edition. 1,788 pp. Available at http://jpdb.nihs.go.jp/jp15e/.
- 2000. Implications of meso-scale eddies caused by frontal disturbances of the Kuroshio Current for anchovy recruitment. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57:143–152. , , and .
- 1999. False Killer Whale Pseudorca crassidens (Owen, 1846). Pages 213–244 in S. H. Ridgway and S. R. Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume 6. The second book of dolphins and the porpoises. Academic Press, London , UK . , and .
- 2009. Movements and diving behavior of pelagic spotted dolphins. Marine Mammal Science 25:137–160. , and .
- 2004. Blubber development in bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Journal of Morphology 259:7–20. , , and .
- 2006. Extreme diving of beaked whales. Journal of Experimental Biology 209:4238–4253. , , , and .
- 1999. Diel vertical migration of mytophid fishes (family Mytophidae) in the transitional waters of the western North Pacific. Fisheries Oceanography 8:118–127. , , , and .
- 2006. Diel vertical migration of squid in the warm core ring and cold water masses in the transition region of the western North Pacific. Marine Ecology Progress Series 315:187–197. , , and .