Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Rope trauma, sedation, disentanglement, and monitoring-tag associated lesions in a terminally entangled North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis)
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2012
© 2012 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 29, Issue 2, pages E98–E113, April 2013
How to Cite
Moore, M., Andrews, R., Austin, T., Bailey, J., Costidis, A., George, C., Jackson, K., Pitchford, T., Landry, S., Ligon, A., McLellan, W., Morin, D., Smith, J., Rotstein, D., Rowles, T., Slay, C. and Walsh, M. (2013), Rope trauma, sedation, disentanglement, and monitoring-tag associated lesions in a terminally entangled North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis). Marine Mammal Science, 29: E98–E113. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2012.00591.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 JAN 2012
- 2008. Satellite tracking reveals distinct movement patterns for Type B and Type C killer whales in the southern Ross Sea, Antarctica. Polar Biology 31:1461–1468. , and .
- 2007. Sighting history and observations of southern right whales off South Africa. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 9:111–114. , and .
- 2011. Lethal entanglement in baleen whales. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 96:175–185. , , , , and .
- 1997. A scientific conception of animal welfare that reflects ethical concerns. Animal Welfare 6:187–205. , , and .
- 1990. Cutaneous response to implants, tags, and marks in beluga whales, Delphinapterus leucas, and bottlenose dolphins, Tursiops truncatus. Advances in research on the beluga whale, Delphinapterus leucas. Canadian Bulletin of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 8:1–95. , and .
- 2008. Health assessment, antibiotic treatment, and behavioral responses to herding efforts of a cow-calf pair of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in the Sacramento River Delta, California. Aquatic Mammals 34:182–192. , , , et al.
- 2003. A digital acoustic recording tag for measuring the response of wild marine mammals to sound. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering 28:3–12. , and .
- 2001. Mortality and serious injury of northern right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) in the western North Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Cetacean Research Management (Special Issue) 2:193–208. , and .
- 2006. Methods used during gross necropsy to determine watercraft-related mortality in the Florida manatee (Trichechus manatus latirostris). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 37:262–275. , , and .
- 1997. Satellite-monitored movements of the northern right whale. Journal of Wildlife Management 61:1393–1405. , and .
- 2007. The evolution of satellite-monitored radio tags for large whales: One laboratory's experience. Deep-Sea Research 54:224–247. , and .
- 2004. Right whale necropsy protocol. Final Report to NOAA Fisheries for contract #40AANF112525. U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NOAA Fisheries Service, 1315 East West Highway, Silver Spring, MD. 51 pp. , , and .
- 2012. Body shape changes associated with reproductive status, nutritive condition and growth in right whales Eubalaena glacialis and Eubalaena australis. Marine Ecology Progress Series 459:135–156. , , , and .
- 2004. Morphometry, gross morphology and available histopathology in Northwest Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis) mortalities (1970 to 2002). Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 6:199–214. , , , and .
- 2006. Fatally entangled right whales can die extremely slowly. Proceedings Oceans'06 MTS/IEEE-Boston, Massachusetts, 18–21 September 2006. 3 pp. Available at http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?arnumber=4098947 , and , et al.
- 2010. Sedation at sea of entangled North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) to enhance disentanglement. PLoS One 5:e9597. , , , et al.
- 2010. North Atlantic Right Whale Consortium 2010 annual report card. Available at http://www.narwc.org/pdf/2010_report_card_addendum.pdf
- 2007. Methods for characterizing watercraft from watercraft-induced wounds on the Florida anatee (Trichecus manatu latirostris). Marine Mammal Science 23:110–132. , and .
- 2009. Movements of satellite-tagged Blainville's beaked whales off the island of Hawai'i. Endangered Species Research 10:203–213. , , , , and .
- U.S. Federal Register. 2007. Taking of marine mammals incidental to commercial fishing operations; Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Plan regulations. FR 72(193):57104–57194 (5 October 2007). National Marine Fisheries Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Department of Commerce, Washington, DC.
- 2011. A review of the effects of different marking and tagging techniques on marine mammals. Wildlife Research 39:15–30. , , and .