Intra-operative parathyroid hormone monitoring using a laboratory based multichannel analyser
Alasdair Mace, DLO, FRCS (ORL-HNS), 2 Whitelands Avenue, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire WD3 5RD, UK. Tel./fax: +44 1923 284447; e-mail: email@example.com
- • Parathyroid hormone has a short half life in vivo.
- • Intraoperative parathyroid hormone measurement can guide the surgeon by confirming successful removal of parathyroid adenomas.
- • Point of care testing with a dedicated analyser and technician in theatre is expensive.
- • This study shows that intraoperative parathyroid hormone is feasible using a central laboratory based analyser available in most hospitals.
- • There are potential cost savings when compared with point of care testing.