ANNALS OF THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
Chapter 3: Climate observations and projections
Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2010
© 2010 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
How to Cite
Horton, R., Gornitz, V., Bowman, M. and Blake, R. (2010), Chapter 3: Climate observations and projections. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1196: 41–62. doi: 10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.05314.x
- Issue online: 18 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 18 MAY 2010
References and further reading
- 2005. Ice-sheet and sea-level changes. Science, 310, 456–460. , , , and ,
- 1990. U-Th ages obtained by mass spectrometry in corals from Barbados: sea level during the past 130,000 years. Nature, 346, 456–458. , , and ,
- 1996. Deglacial sea-level record from Tahiti corals and the timing of global meltwater discharge. Nature, 382, 241–244. , , , , et al .,
- 2004. Coupling instrumental and geological records of sea-level change: evidence from southern New England of an increase in the rate of sea-level rise in the late 19th century. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L05203, doi: 10.1029/2003GL018933. , , , and ,
- 1989. 17,000-year glacio-eustatic sea-level record: influence of glacial melting rates on the Younger Dryas event and deep-ocean circulation. Nature, 342, 637–642. ,
- 2005. Onset of recent rapid sea-level rise in the western Atlantic Ocean. Quat. Sci. Rev., 24, 2083–2100. , , , et al. ,
- Greater London Authority, London Climate Change Partnership. Adapting to climate change: a checklist for development, November 2005.
- 2004. Threatened loss of the Greenland ice sheet. Nature, 428, 616. , , and ,
- 2009. Reconstructing sea-level from paleo and projected temperatures 200 to 2100 AD. Climate Dynamics. In press. , , and ,
- 1989. Statistical descriptors of climate. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 70:6, 602–607. ,
- Halifax Regional Municipality. Climate change: developer's risk management guide, August 2007.
- 2000. Rapid flooding of the Sunda Shelf: a late-glacial sea-level record. Science, 288, 1033–1035. , , and ,
- 2004. Evidence for enhanced coastal sea-level rise during the 1990s. Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L07305, doi: 10.1029/2004GL019626. and ,
- Sea-level rise projections for current generation CGCMs based on the semi-empirical method. Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L02715, doi:10.1029/2007GL032486, 2008. , , , et al. , “
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Climate change 2007: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability, contribution of work group II to the fourth assessment report of the IPCC. Cambridge , UK : Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Climate change 2000: special report on emissions scenarios. Geneva : IPCC, 2000.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Climate change 2007: synthesis report. Geneva : IPCC, 2008.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of working group I to the fourth assessment report: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- 2001. Oxygen isotope and palaeotemperature records from six Greenland ice-core stations: Camp Century, Dye-3, GRIP, GISP2, Renland, and NorthGRIP. J. Quaternary Science, 16, 299–307. et al .,
- 1998. Secular trends of precipitation amount frequency and intensity in the United States. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., 79, 231. and ,
- 2003. Synchroneity of meltwater pulse 1a and the Bølling warming: evidence from the South China Sea. Geology, 31, 67–70. , , , and ,
- 2004. Reconsidering melt-water pulses 1A and 1B: global impacts of rapid sea-level rise. J. Ocean University of China, 3(2), 183–190. and ,
- 2006. The role of sea-level rise and the Greenland ice sheet in dangerous climate change: implications for the stabilisation of climate. In Avoiding dangerous climate change, Schellnhuber, H.J., Cramer, W., Nakicenovic, N., Wigley, T. and Yohe, G. (eds). Cambridge University Press. , , , , et al .,
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority. August 8, 2007 Storm Report, September 20, 2007.
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection, Climate Change Program. Assessment and Action Plan, May, 2008.
- 1965. Meteorological drought. Weather Bureau Research Pap. No. 45, U. S. Dept. of Commerce , Washington , DC , 58 pp. ,
- 2007. Global change scenarios: their development and use. Subreport 2.1B of synthesis and assessment Product 2.1 by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research. Department of Energy, Office of Biological & Environmental Research , Washington , DC , USA , 106 pp. , , , , et al .,
- 2001. “Global glacial isostatic adjustment and modern instrumental records of relative sea-level history,” in: Sea-level rise: history and consequences, B.C.Douglas, M.S.Kearney, and S.P.Leatherman, eds., San Diego , CA : Academic Press, pp. 65–95. ,
- 2006. Global glacial ice volume and last glacial maximum duration from an extended Barbados sea-level record. Quat. Sci. Rev., 25, 3322–3337. and ,
- 2008. Kinematic constraints on glacier contributions to 21st-century sea-level rise. Science, 321, 1340–1343. , , and ,
- 1994. Modeling global lightning distributions in a general circulation model. M. Weather Rev., 122, 1930–1939, doi:10.1175/15200493(1994)122<1930:MGLDIA>2.0.CO;2. and ,
- 2007. “A semi-empirical approach to projecting future sea-level rise,” Science 315: 368–370. ,
- 2006. Changes in the velocity structure of the Greenland ice sheet. Science, 311, 986–990. and ,
- 2008. High rates of sea-level rise during the last interglacial period. Nature GeoScience, 1, 38–42. , , , , et al .,
- Managing climate change risks in New York City's water system: assessment and adaptation planning,” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 2007, DOI 1007/s11027-006-9070-5. , , , et al. , “
- Climate component, in Metropolitan Transportation Authority, August 8, 2007 Storm Report, September 20, 2007. , , , et al .,
- Climate change and a global city: the potential consequences of climate variability and change, Metro East Coast, Report for the U.S. Global Change Research Program, Columbia Earth Institute , 2001. and , eds.
- 2007. Recent sea-level contributions of the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets. Science, 315, 1529–1532. and ,
- 2009. Irreversible climate change due to carbon dioxide emissions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106, 1704–1709. , , , and ,
- 2006. Timing of meltwater pulse 1a and climate responses to melterwater injections. Paleoceanography, 21, PA4103. , , , et al .,
- University of Washington Climate Impacts Group and Washington Department of Ecology. Sea-level rise in the coastal waters of Washington State, January 2008.
- 2006. Acceleration of Greenland ice mass loss in spring 2004. Nature, 443, 329–331. and ,
- participating AMIP modeling groups, 1998. Arctic precipitation and evapotranspiration: model results and observational estimates. J. Climate, 11, 72–87. , , , and
- World Meteorological Organization. 1989. Calculation of Monthly and Annual 30-Year Standard Normals, WCDP-No. 10, WMO-TD/No. 341, Geneva : World Meteorological Organization.
- 2009. Model projections of rapid sea-level rise on the northeast coast of the United States. Nature Geoscience, 2, 262–266, doi: 1-.1038/NGEO462. , , and ,