The Shadows of Reconstruction: Marriage and Reunion in Melville's “The Scout toward Aldie”
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Melville Society and Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
Volume 14, Issue 1, pages 9–23, March 2012
How to Cite
SHREVE, G. (2012), The Shadows of Reconstruction: Marriage and Reunion in Melville's “The Scout toward Aldie”. Leviathan, 14: 9–23. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-1849.2011.01443.x
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2012
- Scenes from the Drama of European Literature. Minneapolis : U of Minnesota P, 1984. .
- The Battle-Pieces of Herman Melville. London : Thomas Yoseloff, Ltd., 1963. , ed.
- “History, Legend, and Poetic Tradition in Melville's ‘The Scout toward Aldie. American Transcendental Quarterly 17.2 (June 2003): 61-79.
- “The American in Charity: ‘Benito Cereno’ and Gothic Anti-Sentimentality. Studies in American Fiction 30.2 (Autumn 2002): 155-80. .
- Monumental Melville: The Formation of a Literary Career. Stanford : Stanford UP, 2004. A.
- The Imagined Civil War: Popular Literature of the North & South, 1861-1865. Chapel Hill and London : The U of North Carolina P, 2001. .
- “Archetype and History in Melville's ‘The Scout toward Aldie,’” Forum for Modern Language Studies 27.4 (1991): 333-47. .
- The Civil War World of Herman Melville. Lawrence : UP of Kansas, 1993. .
- The Complicity of Imagination: The American Renaissance, Contests of Authority, and Seventeenth-Century English Culture. Cambridge : Cambridge UP, 1997. .
- “‘A Dowry of Suffering’: Consent, Contract, and Political Coverture in John W. De Forest's Reconstruction Romance. American Literary History 15.2 (2003): 276-310. .
- “‘Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War’ The Novelist as Poet: A Study in the Dramatic Poetry of Herman Melville. American Studies International 32.2 (June 2001): 71-85. .
- Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War. Gainesville , FL: Scholars’ Facsimiles & Reprints, 1960. , ed.
- “Hawthorne and His Mosses. Moby-Dick: A Norton Critical Edition. Ed. Hershel Parker and Harrison Hayford. New York : W.W. Norton & Co., 2002. 517-32 .
- The Piazza Tales and Other Prose Pieces 1839–1860. Ed. Harrison Hayford, Alma A. MacDougall, G. Thomas Tanselle. Evanston and Chicago : Northwestern UP and Newberry Library, 1996. .
- Published Poems: Battle-Pieces, John Marr, Timoleon. Ed. Robert C. Ryan, Harrison Hayford, Alma MacDougall Reising, and G. Thomas Tanselle. Evanston and Chicago : Northwestern UP and The Newberry Library, 2009. .
- The Complete Poetry of John Milton. Ed. John T. Shawcross. New York : Anchor, 1971. .
- The Romance of Reunion. Chapel Hill and London : The U of North Carolina P, 1993. .
- Plots and Proposals: American Women's Fiction, 1850-90. Urbana : U of Illinois P, 2000. .
- Through the Negative: The Photographic Image and the Written Word in Nineteenth Century American Literature. New York : Routledge, 2003. .