Low-pathogenic notifiable avian influenza serosurveillance and the risk of infection in poultry – a critical review of the European Union active surveillance programme (2005–2007)
Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 4, Issue 2, pages 91–99, March 2010
How to Cite
Gonzales, J. L., Elbers, A. R. W., Bouma, A., Koch, G., De Wit, J. J. and Stegeman, J. A. (2010), Low-pathogenic notifiable avian influenza serosurveillance and the risk of infection in poultry – a critical review of the European Union active surveillance programme (2005–2007). Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 4: 91–99. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-2659.2009.00126.x
- Issue published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 9 FEB 2010
- Accepted 16 December 2009. Published online 10 February 2010.
- 1DEFRA. Outbreak of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza in Suffolk in January 2007. A report of the epidemiological findings by the National Emergency Epidemiology Group, DEFRA 5 April 2007. Available at http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/ai/documents/epid_findings070405.pdf (Accessed 18 May 2008).
- 6The highly pathogenic avian influenza A virus (H7N7) epidemic in the Netherlands in 2003: lessons learned from the first five outbreaks. Avian Dis 2004; 47:914–920., , , , , .
- 8DEFRA. Highly pathogenic avian influenza, H7N7, Oxfordshire, June 2008. Situation at 12.30pm Wednesday 2nd July. Available at http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/ai/documents/epireport-080711.pdf (Accessed 12 July 2008).
- 9World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). Guidelines on Surveillance for Avian Influenza; In Terrestrial Animal Health Code, 16th edn. Paris: OIE, 2007.
- 10European Council. Council directive 2005/94/EC of 20 December 2005 on community measures for the control of avian influenza and repealing directive 92/40/EEC. OJEU 2005; L 10: 2016.
- 11World Organization for Animal Health (OIE). WAHID-interface, summary of immediate notifications and follow-ups–2007. Available at http://www.oie.int/wahid-prod/public.php?page=disease_immediate_summary&selected_year=2007 (Accessed 28 March 2008).
- 15European Commission. Guidelines on the implementation of survey programmes for avian influenza in poultry and wild birds to be carried out in the Member States in 2007. Available at http://ec.europa.eu./food/animal/diseases/controlmeasures/avian/guidel_ai_surv_wb_poul_2007_en.pdf (Accessed 1 September 2008).
- 16European Commission. Commission Decision 2007/268/EC of 13 April 2007 on the implementation of surveillance programmes for avian influenza in poultry and wild birds to be carried out in the Member States and amending Decision 2004/450/EC. OJEU 2007; L 115:2003.
- 17European Commission. Commission Decision 2002/649/EC of 5 August 2002 on the implementation of surveys for avian influenza in poultry and wild birds in the Member States. OJEU 2002; L213:2038.
- 18Annual Report on Surveillance for Avian Influenza in Poultry in the EU During 2007. Brussels: European Commission. Health & Consumer Protection Directorate-General, Animal Health and Standing Committees. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/diseases/controlmeasures/avian/res_surv_wb_annual_07_en.pdf (Accessed 8 November 2008)., , , .
- 19EFSA. Scientific report on animal health and welfare aspects of avian influenza. Annex to the EFSA Journal 2005; 266:1–21.
- 21Annual Report of the Avian Influenza Surveillance in Poultry carried out by Member States in 2006. Brussels: European Commission. Health & Consumer Protection Directorate-General, Animal Health and Standing Committees. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/diseases/controlmeasures/avian/res_surv_wb_annual_06_en.pdf (Accessed 19 June 2008)., , , , .
- 22A Report on Surveys for Avian Influenza in Poultry in Member States During 2005. Brussels: European Commission. Health & Consumer Protection Directorate-General, Animal Health and Standing Committees. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/diseases/controlmeasures/avian/res_ai_surv_poultry_2005_en.pdf (Accessed 5 June 2008)., , , .
- 23Statistical Methods in Cancer Research. Volume II – The Design and Analysis of Cohort Studies. Lyon: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1987., .
- 24Veterinary Epidemiology. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 1995..
- 28Danish Veterinary and Food Administration. Plan for implementation of survey programmes for avian influenza in poultry, game birds for restocking and wild birds to be carried out in Denmark in 2007 and application for financial contribution. Available at http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/diseases/eradication/programme2007/2007_ai_da.pdf (Accessed 15 September 2008).
- 30Istituto Zooprofilatico Sperimentale delle Venezie. Low pathogenicity avian influenza in Italy: the epidemiological situation. Available at http://www.izsvenezie.it/dnn/Portals/0/AI/AI_Report_30_10_07.pdf (Accessed 15 May 2008).
- 31European Commission. Commission Decision 2005/734/EC of 19 October 2005 laying down biosecurity measures to reduce the risk of transmission of highly pathogenic avian influenza caused by Influenza virus A subtype H5N1 from birds living in the wild to poultry and other captive birds and providing for an early detection system in areas at particular risk. OJEU 2005;L 274: 2105.
- 32Avian Influenza Surveillance in Poultry in The Netherlands between 2004 and 2006. Beijing, China: Proceedings of the 15th World Veterinary Poultry Association Congress, 10–15 September 2007, 138., , , , , .
- 33Outdoor ranging of poultry: a major risk factor for the introduction and development of high-pathogenicity avian influenza. NJAS 2006; 54:179–194., .
- 36Risk factors for the introduction of avian influenza virus into commercial layer chicken farms during the outbreaks caused by a low-pathogenic H5N2 virus in Japan in 2005. Zoonoses Public Health 2007; 54:337–343., , , , , .