Influenza surveillance in Europe: establishing epidemic thresholds by the Moving Epidemic Method
Article first published online: 16 AUG 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses
Volume 7, Issue 4, pages 546–558, July 2013
How to Cite
Vega, T., Lozano, J. E., Meerhoff, T., Snacken, R., Mott, J., Ortiz de Lejarazu, R. and Nunes, B. (2013), Influenza surveillance in Europe: establishing epidemic thresholds by the Moving Epidemic Method. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 7: 546–558. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-2659.2012.00422.x
- Issue published online: 11 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 16 AUG 2012
- Accepted 27 June 2012. Published Online 16 August 2012.
- 2Preliminary estimates of mortality and years of life lost associated with the 2009 A/H1N1 pandemic in the US and comparison with past influenza seasons. PLoS Currents Influenza2010; 20: RRN1153., , , , .
- 4Systematic review and economic decision modelling for the prevention and treatment of influenza A and B. Health Technol Assess2003; 7:1–170, iii-iv, xi-xiii., , , , , .
- 8Weekly Monitoring of Influenza Impact in Belgium (1993–1995). Pharmacoeconomics1996; 9(Suppl. 3):34–37..
- 10World Health Organisation. World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic, (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_pandemic_phase6_20090611/en/index.html). Accessed 4 August 2010.
- 15Bayesian Forecasting and Dynamic Models. 2nd edn. New York, NY: Springer, 1997, 700., .
- 20CDC. Update: influenza activity – United States, August 30, 2009--March 27, 2010, and composition of the 2010–11 influenza vaccine. MMWR2010; 59:423–430.
- 22Statistical Methods for the prospective detection of infectious disease outbreaks: a review. (http://stats-www.open.ac.uk/TechnicalReports/OutbreakReviewPaper.pdf). Accessed 20 January 2011, , , , .
- 23PAHO-CDC. Generic Protocol for Influenza Surveillance. Washington, DC: PAHO Headquarters. 15 December 2006. (http://www.paho.org/English/AD/DPC/CD/flu-snl-gpis.pdf). Accessed 28 October 2010
- 27Validation of the moving epidemic method for detecting influenza epidemics in Europe. in: Proceedings of the International Conference on Options for the Control of Influenza VI. London: International Medical Press Ltd, 2008, 657., , et al.
- 28Guide to the principles and methods of health sentinel networks in Spain. Gac Sanit2006; 20(Suppl. 3):52–60., , et al.
- 29Descriptive survey of influenza surveillance systems in Europe final report. (http://www.euroflu.org/html/reports.html). Accessed 28 October 2010., , .
- 30Applied Smoothing Techniques for Data Analysis: the Kernel Approach with S-Plus Illustrations, (Oxford Statistical Science Series). Oxford, GA: Oxford University Press, 1997, 208., .
- 35Two waves of pandemic influenza A(H1N1)2009 in Wales – the possible impact of media coverage on consultation rates, April – December 2009. Eurosurveillance2011; 16.pii:19772., , et al.
- 36WHO EURO. Situation update in the European Region: overview of influenza surveillance data week 40/2009 to week 07/2010. (http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/91839/E93581.pdf). Accessed 11 December 2010.
- 37WHO. Global Alert and Response (GAR) Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 112. Weekly update. (http://www.who.int/csr/don/2010_08_06/en/index.html). Accessed 6 August 2010.
- 40Biosurveillance and outbreak detection; in Kargupta H, Joshi A, Sivakumar K, Yesha Y (eds): Data Mining: next Generation Challenges and Future Directions. Cambridge: MIT Press, 2004. 558., .