Means of Delivering Recommended Levels of Long Chain n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Human Diets
Article first published online: 15 JUN 2006
Journal of Food Science
Volume 71, Issue 5, pages R66–R71, June/July 2006
How to Cite
Garg, M.L., Wood, L.G., Singh, H. and Moughan, P.J. (2006), Means of Delivering Recommended Levels of Long Chain n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in Human Diets. Journal of Food Science, 71: R66–R71. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00033.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 15 JUN 2006
- MS 20060097 Submitted 2/13/2006, Accepted 3/17/2006
- 1993. Does supplementation of diet with ‘fish oil’ reduce blood pressure? A meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. Arch Intern Med 153:1429–38. , , , .
- 1994. Effects of new fish oil derivative on fatty acid phospholipid-membrane pattern in a group of Crohn's disease patients. Dig Dis Sci 39:2589–94. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Where to find omega-3 fatty acids and how feeding animals with diet enriched in omega-3 fatty acids to increase nutritional value of derived products for human: what is actually useful? J Nutr Health Aging 9:232–42. .
- 2005b. Effect of increasing the omega-3 fatty acid in the diets of animals on the animal products consumed by humans. Med Sci (Paris) 21:773–9. .
- British Nutrition Foundation. 1992. Task force on unsaturated fatty acids. London : Chapman and Hall.
- 2003. Randomized controlled trial of the effect of n-3 fatty acid supplementation on the metabolism of apolipoprotein B-100 and chylomicron remnants in men with visceral obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 77:300–307. , , , , , .
- 1997. Antioxidant activities of caffeic acid and its related hydroxycinnamic acid compounds. J Agric Food Chem 45:2374–8. , .
- 2000. Effect of stable fish oil on arterial thrombogenesis, platelet aggregation, and superoxide dismutase activity. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 35:502–5. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Dietary fat: the exogenous determination of membrane structure and cell function. FASEB J 5:2761–9. , , , , , .
- 1992. A low-sodium diet supplemented with fish oil lowers blood pressure in the elderly. J Hypertens 10:87–92. , , , .
- 1996. Inhibitory effect of fish oil N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on the expression of endothelial cell adhesion molecules. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 220:969–74. , .
- 2002. Recent studies on interactions between n-3 and n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids in brain and other tissues. Curr Opin Lipidol 13:267–72. , .
- Department of Health. 1994. Report on health and social subjects, No. 46. Nutritional aspects of cardiovascular disease. Report of the Cardiovascular Review Group, COMA. London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- 1994. Dietary linoleic acid influences desaturation and elongation of deuterium labelled linoleic and linolenic acids in young adult males. Biochim Biophys Acta 1213:277–88. , , .
- 1994. Omega-3 fatty acids in the regulation of cytokine synthesis. World Rev Nutr Diet 76:89–94. , , .
- FAO/WHO Consultation on Fats and Oils. 1994. Fats and oils in human nutrition: report of a joint consultation, FAO Food and Nutrition paper No. 57. Rome : Food and Agriculture.
- 1994. Interfacial phenomena in the evaluation of antioxidants: bulk oils vs emulsions. J Agric Food Chem 42:1054–9. , , , .
- 1988. Fish oil and plasma fibrinogen. Br Med J 297:978–9. , , , .
- 1988a. Delta-6 desaturase activity in liver microsomes of rats fed diets enriched with cholesterol and/or (n-3) fatty acids. Biochem J 249:351–6. , , , .
- 1988b. Effect of dietary cholesterol and/or (n-3) fatty acids on lipid composition and delta-5 desaturase activity of rat liver microsomes. J Nutr 118:661–8. , , .
- 1988c. Differential effects of dietary linoleic and alpha-linolenic acids on lipid metabolism in rat tissues. Lipids 23:847–52. , , , , .
- 1989. Dietary saturated fat level alters the competition between alpha-linolenic and linoleic acid. Lipids 24:334–9. , , , .
- 1990. Interactions of saturated, n-6 and n-3 fatty acids to modulate arachidonic acid metabolism. J Lipid Res 31:271–7. , , .
- 2002. Blood pressure response to fish oil supplementation: metaregression analysis of randomized trials. J Hypertens 20:1493–9. , , , .
- 1990. The dietary and nutritional survey of British adults. Office of Population Censuses and Surveys, Social Survey Division . London : Her Majesty's Stationery Office. , , , .
- 2004. Accumulated evidence on fish consumption and coronary heart disease mortality: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Circulation 109:2705–11. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Antioxidant activity of alpha-tocopherols and gamma-tocopherols in bulk oils and in oil-in-water emulsions. J Agric Food Chem 42:2108–14. , , .
- 1996. Fish oil supplementation inhibits the expression of major histocompatibility complex class II molecules and adhesion molecules on human monocytes. Am J Clin Nutr 63:267–72. , , , , .
- 2001. Reduced hepatic triglyceride secretion in rats fed docosahexaenoic acid-rich fish oil suppresses postprandial hypertriglyceridemia. J Nutr 131:1159–64. , , , , , .
- ISSFAL. 2004. Recommendations for intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids in healthy adults. ISSFAL Newsl 11:12–18.
- Joint Health Claims Initiative. 2005. Generic health claim for LC n-3 PUFA and heart health. Available from: http://www.jhci.org.uk/approv/omega.htm. Accessed February 2, 2006.
- 1998. Effect of low fat diets on plasma high density lipoprotein concentrations. Am J Clin Nutr 67:573S–6S. .
- 2005. Stability of spray-dried tuna oil emulsions encapsulated with two-layered interfacial membranes. J Agric Food Chem 53:8365–71. , , , , .
- 1999. Possibilities of fish oil application for food products enrichment with omega-3 PUFA. Int J Food Sci Nutr 50:39–49. , , .
- 2000. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 71:179S–88S. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Fish consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 106:2747–57. , , .
- 2003. Omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: new recommendations from the American Heart Association. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:151–2. , , .
- 1994. The absorption and effect of dietary supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids on serum leukotriene B4 in patients with cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol 18:211–17. , , , , .
- 1990. Changing dietary patterns. Am J Clin Nutr 51:991–3. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Lean meat and heart health. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:113–19. , , , , .
- 2004. Incorporation of n-3 fatty acids into plasma and liver lipids of rats: importance of background dietary fat. Lipids 39:545–51. , .
- 2004. Fish and shellfish as dietary sources of methylmercury and the omega-3 fatty acids, eicosahexaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid: risks and benefits. Environ Res 95:414–28. .
- 1994. Fish oil improves arterial compliance in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Arterioscler Thromb 14:1425–9. , , , , , .
- 2005. Measurement of organochlorines in commercial over-the-counter fish oil preparations: implications for dietary and therapeutic recommendations for omega-3 fatty acids and a review of the literature. Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:74–7. , , , .
- 2003. A practical approach to increasing intakes of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: use of novel foods enriched with n-3 fats. Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1605–12. , , , .
- 2003. Dietary intakes and food sources of omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids 38:391–8. , , , , , .
- 1996. Lipids. In: FennemaOR, editor. Food chemistry. New York : Marcel Dekker. .
- Nordic Working Group on Diet and Nutrition. 1996. Nordic nutrition recommendations. Scand J Nutr 40:161–5.
- 1994. Effects of dietary fat content, saturated fatty acids, and fish oil on eicosanoid production and hemostatic parameters in normal men. J Lab Clin Med 123:914–20. , , , , .
- 1990. Effect of fish oil diet on hepatic lipid metabolism in nonhuman primates: lowering of secretion of hepatic triglyceride but not apoB. J Lipid Res 31:455–66. , , , .
- 2005a. Attitudes and intentions toward purchasing novel foods enriched with omega-3 fatty acids. J Nutr Educ Behav 37:235–41. , , .
- 2005b. Overweight consumers' salient beliefs on omega-3-enriched functional foods in Australia's Illawarra region. J Nutr Educ Behav 37:83–9. , , .
- 2001. Physiological compartmental analysis of alpha-linolenic acid metabolism in adult humans. J Lipid Res 42:1257–65. , , , .
- 2005. Metabolic engineering of Arabidopsis to produce nutritionally important DHA in seed oil. Funct Plant Biol 32:1–7. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids. Nurs Stand 18:38–42. .
- 2004. The health benefits of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: a review of the evidence. J Hum Nutr Diet 17:449–59. , , , .
- 1997. Studies of consumer acceptance of high omega-3 fatty acid enriched eggs. J Appl Poultry Res 6:137–46. , , .
- 1999. Procoagulant activity and cytokine expression in whole blood cultures from patients with atherosclerosis supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids. Thromb Haemost 81:566–70. , , , , , .
- 1999. Workshop on the essentiality of and recommended dietary intakes for omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids. J Am Coll Nutr 18:487–9. , , .
- 1982. The analysis of polyunsaturated fatty acids in meat by capillary gas liquid chromatography. J Sci Food Agric 33:771–6. , , .
- 1988. The effect of fish oil consumption on platelet aggregation responses in washed human platelet suspensions. Thromb Res 51:105–15. , .
- 2003. High-DHA eggs: feasibility as a means to enhance circulating DHA in mother and infant. Lipids 38:407–14. , , , .
- 2000. Polyunsaturated fatty acids in the food chain in Japan. Am J Clin Nutr 71:189S–96S. , .
- 2000. Decreasing dietary fat saturation lowers HDL-cholesterol and increases hepatic HDL binding in hamsters. Br J Nutr 83:151–9. , , , , .
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration. 2004. FDA allows qualified health claim to decrease risk of coronary heart disease. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/news/2004/NEW01129.html . Accessed February 2, 2006.
- 2004. Variable hypocoagulant effect of fish oil intake in humans: modulation of fibrinogen level and thrombin generation. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1734–40. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Dietary n-3 fatty acid supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis—mechanisms, clinical outcomes, controversies and future directions. J Clin Biochem Nutr 20:83–97. , .
- 1985. Long-term effects of dietary marine omega-3 fatty acids upon plasma and cellular lipids, platelet function, and eicosanoid formation in humans. J Clin Invest 76:1626–31. , , .
- 1997. Influence of a total parenteral nutrition enriched with omega-3 fatty acids on leukotriene synthesis of peripheral leukocytes and systemic cytokine levels in patients with major surgery. J Trauma-Injury Infect Crit Care 42:191–8. , , , , .
- 1995. Dietary fish oil supplementation alters leukocyte function and cytokine production in healthy women. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 15:185–9. , , , .
- 2004. Effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Cardiovascular Disease. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 94, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Publication No. 04-E009-2. Rockville , MD . , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Omega fatty acids. In: AkohCC, MinDB, editors. Lipid chemistry. New York : Marcel Dekker. , .