The Rheology of Colloidal and Noncolloidal Food Dispersions
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2007
Journal of Food Science
Volume 72, Issue 2, pages R11–R20, March 2007
How to Cite
Genovese, D. B., Lozano, J. E. and Rao, M. A. (2007), The Rheology of Colloidal and Noncolloidal Food Dispersions. Journal of Food Science, 72: R11–R20. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2006.00253.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2007
- MS 20060509 Submitted 9/13/2006, Accepted 11/14/2006
- 2000. A handbook of elementary rheology. 1st ed. Wales : Cambrian Printers. 200 p. .
- 2007. Effect of pH and ionic strength on apple juice turbidity: application of the extended DLVO theory. Food Hydrocoll 21(1):100–9. , , .
- 2000. Prediction of the interaction potential of microgel particles from rheometric data. Comparison with different models. Langmuir 16:10509–14. , .
- 1999a. Connection between rheological parameters and colloidal interactions of a soy protein suspension. Food Hydrocoll 13:507–15. , , .
- 1999b. Heat-induced phenomena in soy protein suspensions. Rheometric data and theoretical interpretation. J Agric Food Chem 47:893–900. , , .
- 2003. Separating the role of particles and the suspending fluid for the flow of soy milks. J Food Sci 68(5):1722–30. , , , .
- 1991. Effect of long-range repulsive forces on the viscosity of concentrated lattices: comparison of experimental data with an effective hard-sphere model. J Chem Soc Faraday Trans 87:1365–70. .
- 1994. An effective hard-sphere model of the non-Newtonian viscosity of stable colloidal dispersions: comparison with further data for sterically stabilized lattices and with data for microgel particles. Coll Surf A 83:33–42. .
- 1959. A flow equation for pigment-oil suspensions of the printing ink type. In: MillCC, editor. Rheology of disperse systems. New York : Pergamon Press. p 82–104. .
- 1965. Rheology of non-Newtonian fluids: a new flow equation for pseudoplastic systems. J Colloid Sci 20:417–37. .
- 2004. Electrostatic effects on the yield stress of whey protein isolate foams. Coll Surf B: Biointerf 34:13–23. , , .
- 1994. Elasticity of weakly aggregating polystyrene latex dispersions. Phys Rev E 49(4):3038–49. , , , .
- 1968. Prediction of the viscosity of multimodal suspensions from unimodal viscosity data. Trans Soc Rheol 12(2):281–301. .
- 2006. Contribution of colloidal forces to the viscosity and stability of cloudy apple juice. Food Hydrocoll 20:767–73. , .
- 2003a. Role of starch granule characteristics (volume fraction, rigidity and fractal dimension) on the rheology of starch dispersions with and without amylose. Cereal Chem 80:350–5. , .
- 2003b. Vane yield stress of starch dispersions. J Food Sci 68(7):2295–301. , .
- 2005. Components of vane yield stress of structured food dispersions. J Food Sci 70(8):E498–504. , .
- 1997. Dynamic viscosity of macroscopic suspensions of bimodal sized solid spheres. J Rheol 41:1261–74. , .
- 1999. Rheology of aqueous foams: a literature review of some experimental works. Oil Gas Sci Technol 54(5):587–96. .
- 1996. Electrokinetic properties, colloidal stability and aggregation kinetics of polymer colloids. Adv Coll Interf Sci 67:1–118. , , , , , .
- 1999. Rheological memory effect in aqueous foams. Europhys Lett 48(1):93–8. , , .
- 1999. The structure of cold-set whey protein isolate gels prepared with Ca++. Lebensm Wiss U Technol 32(4):196–202. , , .
- 1993. The existence of static yield stresses in suspensions containing noncolloidal particles. J Rheol 37(2):215–35. , , .
- 2003. Effect of two gums on the development, rheological properties and stability of egg albumen foams. Rheol Acta 42:259–68. , , , .
- 1981. An empirical equation of the relative viscosity of polymer melts filled with various inorganic fillers. Rheol Acta 20:207–9. , , .
- 1959. A mechanism for non-Newtonian flow in suspensions of rigid spheres. Trans Soc Rheol 3:137–52. , .
- 1999. Superposition of complex viscosity curves during gelatinization of starch dispersion and dough. J Food Process Eng 22:215–34. , , .
- 1982. The fractal geometry of nature. New York : WH Freeman. .
- 1998. Visualization and structural analysis of fat crystal networks. Food Technol 52(9):46–51. , .
- 1998. The influence of chemical interesterification on the physicochemical properties of complex fat systems. III. Rheology and fractality of the crystal network. J Am Oil Chemists Soc 75(11):1633–6. , .
- 2006. Viscosity and yield stress reduction in noncolloidal concentrated suspensions by surface modification with polymers and surfactants and/or nanoparticle addition. J Coll Interf Sci 295: 374–87. , , , .
- 2005. Food suspensions. In Barbosa-CánovasGV, editor. Food engineering. France : EOLSS Publishers, UNESCO . p 323–38 .
- 1999. Food emulsions: principles, practice, and techniques. Boca Raton , Fla. : CRC Press. .
- 1985. Rheology of suspensions in polymeric liquids. J Rheol 29(6):739–75. .
- 1962. The plastic flow behavior of flocculated kaolin suspensions. I&EC Fund 1:153–62. , .
- 1999. The difference between cocoa butter and salatrim lies in the microstructure of the fat crystal network. J Am Oil Chemists Soc 76(1):7–13. , .
- 2003. Microrheology: an experimental technique to visualize food structure behavior under compression-extension deformation conditions. J Food Sci 68(6):1990–4. , .
- 1997. Viscosity equation for concentrated suspensions of charged colloidal particles. J Rheol 41(3):769–85. , , , .
- 2004. Scaling and fractal analysis of viscoelastic properties of heat-induced protein gels. Food Hydrocoll 18(2):315–23. , , .
- 2000. Measurement of the yield stress of protein foams by vane rheometry. J Food Sci 65(1):110–4. , , .
- 2002. Properties of whey and egg white protein foams. Coll Surf A 204:9–21. , , , .
- 1988. Rheological behavior of filled polymeric systems I. Yield stress and shear-thinning effects. J Rheol 32(7):703–35. , , , , .
- 1989. Rheology of foams and highly concentrated emulsions. J Coll Interf Sci 128(1):176–87. , .
- 2002. Energy of interaction in colloids and its implications in rheological modeling. Adv Coll Interf Sci 98: 51–85. , .
- 2003. Viscosity of concentrated colloidal suspensions: comparison of bidisperse models. J Coll Interf Sci 266:461–7. , .
- 2006. Characterization of apple juice foams for foam-mat drying prepared with egg white protein and methylcellulose. J Food Sci 71(3):E142–51. , , .
- 1987. Predicting the flow properties of food suspensions of plant origin: Mathematical models help clarify the relationship between composition and rheological behavior. Food Technol 41(3):85–8. .
- 1999. Rheology of fluid and semisolid foods: principles and applications. Gaithersburg , Md : Aspen Publishers. p 433. .
- 2006. Influence of food microstructure on food rheology. In: McClementsDJ, editor. Understanding and controlling the microstructure of complex foods. Cambridge , U.K. : Woodhead Publishing Ltd.. .
- 2004. Concentration dependence of dynamic moduli of heat-induced soy protein gels. Food Hydrocoll 18(3):483–7. , .
- 2004. The primary electroviscous effect in colloidal suspensions. Adv Coll Interf Sci 107:51–60. , , .
- 1980. Review of the role of colloidal forces in the rheology of suspensions. J Rheol 24(3):287–317. .
- 1989. Colloidal dispersions. Ed. G.K.Batchelor. Cambridge , U.K. : Cambridge Univ. Press. p.525. , , .
- 1998. Shear yield stress of partially flocculated colloidal suspensions. AIChE J 44(3):538–44. , , , .
- 1965. Colloidal dispersions, electrokinetic effects, and the concept of zeta potential. In GusheeDE editor. Chemistry and physics of interfaces. Washington D.C. : American Society Publications. p 73–92. , .
- 2002. The influence of particle size distribution on the processing of food. J Food Eng 51:201–8. , , .
- 1990. Scaling behavior of the elastic properties of colloidal gels. Phys Rev A 42(8):4772–9. , , , , .
- 1996. Rheological methods in food process engineering. 2nd ed. East Lansing , Mich .: Freeman Press. p 418. .
- 1987. Rheological properties of tomato concentrates as affected by particle size and methods of concentration. J Food Sci 52:141–5. , .
- 2006. Vane yield stress of native and cross-linked starch dispersions in skim milk: effect of starch concentration and λ-carrageenan addition. Food Sci Tech Int 12(3):253–60. , , .
- 2000. Rheological behavior of cross-linked waxy maize starch dispersions during and after heating. Carbohydr Polym 43:215–22. , .
- 2003. Influence of operating conditions and impeller design on the continuous manufacturing of food foams. J Food Proc Eng 60:9–20. , , .
- 1988. Role of interparticular van der Waals force in rheology of concentrated suspensions. J Rheol 32(7):737–50. , .
- 2001. Effect of foaming agents on the stability, rheological properties, drying kinetics and flavour retention of tamarind foam-mats. Food Res Int 34:587–98. , , , .
- 1984. Flow properties of low-pulp concentrated orange juice: serum viscosity and effect of pulp content. J Food Sci 49(3):876–81. , .
- 1998. Complex viscosity-temperature master curve of cornstarch dispersion during gelatinization. J Food Proc Eng 21:191–207. , .
- 1996. Creep and dynamic rheological behavior of tomato concentrates: effect of concentration and finisher screen size. J Texture Stud 27:451–9. ,
- 2001. Chemical and physical control of the rheology of concentrated metal oxide suspensions. Chem Eng Sci 56:2901–20. , , .