Caffeine Content of Prepackaged National-Brand and Private-Label Carbonated Beverages
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2007
Journal of Food Science
Volume 72, Issue 6, pages C337–C342, August 2007
How to Cite
Chou, K.-H. and Bell, L.N. (2007), Caffeine Content of Prepackaged National-Brand and Private-Label Carbonated Beverages. Journal of Food Science, 72: C337–C342. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00414.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2007
- MS 20070124 Submitted 2/16/2007, Accepted 4/23/2007
- A&W. 2006. A&W Root Beer – A&W Cream Soda. Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc. Available from: http://www.rootbeer.com/textonly/creamsoda.html. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- 1996. Caffeine content in coffee as influenced by grinding and brewing techniques. Food Res Int 29:785–9. , , .
- 2002. Caffeine dependence in teenagers. Drug Alc Depend 66:1–6. , , , , .
- 1979. Caffeine content of common beverages. J Am Diet Assoc 74:28–32. , .
- 2001. Improved analysis of theobromine and caffeine in chocolate food products formulated with cocoa powder. Food Res Int 34:599–603. , , .
- Coca-Cola. 2006. Soft drink nutrition information for carbonated beverages. The Coca-Cola Co. Available from: http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/mail/goodanswer/soft_drink_nutrition.pdf. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- Dept. of Justice. 2007. Food and drug regulations. Canada Department of Justice. Available from: http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cr/C.R.C.-c.870/bo-ga:1_B-gb:1_16//en. Accessed March 26, 2007.
- Dr Pepper. 2006a. Diet Dr Pepper Berries & Cream: FAQ. Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc. Available from: http://www.drpepper.com/text/dietbcfaq.aspx. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- Dr Pepper. 2006b. Dr Pepper Berries & Cream: FAQ. Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc. Available from: http://www.drpepper.com/text/bcfaq.aspx. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- Dr Pepper. 2006c. Dr Pepper: FAQ. Dr Pepper/Seven Up Inc. Available from: http://www.drpepper.com/text/faq.aspx. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- FDA. 2006. Food additives status list. Food and Drug Admi. Available from: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/opa-appa.html. Accessed July 6, 2006.
- 2005. Distribution of catechins, theaflavins, caffeine, and theobromine in 77 teas consumed in the United States. J Food Sci 70(9):C550–9. , , , , , , .
- FSANZ. 2000. Safety aspects of dietary caffeine. Food Standards Australia New Zealand. http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodmatters/caffeine/safetyaspectsofdieta890.cfm. Accessed March 14, 2007.
- 1997. Caffeine content of fountain and private-label store-brand carbonated beverages. J Am Diet Assoc 97:179–82. , .
- 2000. Is caffeine a flavoring agent in cola soft drinks? Arch Fam Med 9:727–34. , .
- 2004. Cardiovascular effects of caffeine in men and women. Am J Cardiol 93:1022–6. , , .
- 1996. Tea preparation and its influence on methylxanthine concentration. Food Res Int 29:325–30. , , .
- IFT. 2007. Caffeine wars. Food Technol 61(3):14.
- 1991. Caffeine and health. San Diego , Calif . Academic Press. p 432. .
- 1997. Absorption and subjective effects of caffeine from coffee, cola and capsules. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 58:721–6. , , .
- 2002. Update on caffeine consumption, disposition and action. Food Chem Toxicol 40:1231–4. .
- 1992. Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psychostimulant effects. Brain Res Rev 17:139–70. , , .
- 2005. Survey of caffeine levels in retail beverages in Portugal. Food Add Contam 22:91–6. , , .
- Pepsi-Cola. 2005. Pepsi world – all Pepsi brands: product facts. PepsiCo. Available from: http://www.pepsiusa.com/pepsi_brands/ingredient_facts/index.php. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- 2005. Association of ambulatory blood pressure and dietary caffeine in adolescents. Am J Hypertens 18:116–20. , , , , , .
- 1998. Basic metabolism and physiological effects of the methylxanthines. In: SpillerGA, editor. Caffeine. New York : CRC Press. p 225–31. .
- 1985. A study of colas: HPLC experiment. J Chem Educ 62:447–8. .
- Sundrop. 2006. Sundrop.com—frequently asked questions. Cadbury Beverages. Available from: http://www.sundrop.com/TextSite/faqs.aspx. Accessed January 22, 2007.
- 1998. Introduction to the chemistry, isolation, and biosynthesis of methylxanthines. In: SpillerGA, editor. Caffeine. New York : CRC Press. p 1–11. , .
- 2002. Optimized method for simultaneous determination of catechin, gallic acid, and methylxanthine compounds in chocolate using RP-HPLC. Eur Food Res Technol 215:340–6. , .
- USDA. 2006. USDA national nutrient database for standard reference-release 19. Agricultural Research Service. U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. Available from: http://www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata. Accessed October 4, 2006.
- 1972. CRC handbook of chemistry and physics. 53rd ed. Cleveland , Ohio : CRC Press. p. D-218. , editor.
- 2006. Compositional analysis of teas from Australian supermarkets. Food Chem 94:115–22. , , , , , , , .