Consumer Sensory Evaluations of Aging Effects on Beef Quality
Article first published online: 1 NOV 2007
Journal of Food Science
Volume 73, Issue 1, pages S78–S82, January/February 2008
How to Cite
Brewer, S. and Novakofski, J. (2008), Consumer Sensory Evaluations of Aging Effects on Beef Quality. Journal of Food Science, 73: S78–S82. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00575.x
- Issue published online: 1 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 1 NOV 2007
- MS 20070542 Submitted 7/13/2007, Accepted 9/11/2007
- 2004. Establishment of consumer thresholds for beef quality attributes. Can J Anim Sci 84:631–8. , , , , .
- [AOAC] Assn. of Official Analytical Chemists. 1995. Method 983.18A. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Arlington , Va .: AOAC.
- 1997. Consumer evaluation of beef of known categories of tenderness. J Anim Sci 75:1521–4. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Calibration of rheological techniques used for foods. J Food Eng 16:151–63. .
- 2000. National beef tenderness survey 1998. J Anim Sci 78:1852–60. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Textural descriptions of cooked steaks from bovine M. longissimus thoracis et lumborum from different production and aging regimes. J Food Sci 70:S309–16. , , .
- 1980. Effects of fat level and source on the chemical, sensory, and cooking properties of ground beef patties. J Food Sci 45:791–3. , , .
- 2005. Phenotypic ranges and relationships among carcass and meat palatability traits for fourteen cattle breeds, and heritabilities and expected progeny differences for Warner-Bratzler shear force in three beef cattle breeds. J Anim Sci 83:2461–7. , , , , , .
- 1996. Flavor and texture characteristics of low fat ground beef patties formulated with whey protein concentrate. Meat Sci 42:179–93. , , .
- 2004. U.S. consumers’ willingness to pay for flavor and tenderness in steaks as determined with an experimental auction. J Agric Res Econ 29:501–16. , , , .
- 1996. Can consumers interpret nutrition information in the presence of a health claim? A laboratory investigation. J Public Policy Market 15:16–27. , , , .
- 1999. An audit of retail beef loin steak tenderness conducted in eight U.S. cities. J. Anim. Sci. 77(7): 1735–41. , , , .
- 1998. Effect of protein and protein-free energy intake on myofibrillar protein degradation in preruminant calves of 120 and 200 kilograms of live weight. J Anim Sci 76:1364–70. , , , .
- 2002. Effect of aging time on volatile compounds, odor, and flavor of cooked beef from Pirenaica and Friesian bulls and heifers. J Food Sci 67:916–22. , , , .
- 1995. Improvement of beef tenderness and quality traits with calcium chloride injection in beef loins 48 hours postmortem. J Anim Sci 73:750–6. , , .
- 2002. Meat tenderness and muscle growth: is there any relationship. Meat Sci 62:345–52. , , , , .
- 2003. Beef customer satisfaction: trained sensory panel ratings and Warner-Bratzler shear force values. J Anim Sci 81:143–9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Sensory factors contributing to the identification of the animal species of meat. J Food Sci 69:S218–21. , , , .
- 1997. Consumer perceptions of health claims in advertisements and on food labels. J Consumer Affairs 31:10–27. , .
- 1999. Measuring responses. In: Sensory evaluation techniques 3rd ed., Boca Raton , Fla. : CRC Press. p 43–56. , , .
- 2001. Consumer thresholds for establishing the value of beef tenderness. J Anim Sci 79:3062–8. , , , , .
- 1991. National beef tenderness survey. J Anim Sci 69:3274–83. , , , , , , .
- 1982. A comparison of the flavor volatiles from cooked beef and pork meat systems. J Sci Food Ag 33:934–44. , ,
- NAMP. 1997. The meat buyers guide. Reston , Va. : North American Meat Processors Assn.
- 2006. The paradox of toughening during the aging of tender steaks. J Food Sci 71:S473–9. , .
- 1989. Composition of cooked pork chops. The effect of removing subcutaneous fat before cooking. J Food Sci 54:15–7. , , , .
- 1999. Strength and conflicting valence in the measurement of food attitudes and preferences. Food Qual Prefer 10:483–94. .
- 1989. Muscle and meat biochemistry, San Diego, Calif. : Academic Press. , .
- 2003. Consumer attitudes towards beef and acceptability of enhanced beef. Meat Sci 652:721–9. , , , , , .
- SAS. 2003. SAS user's guide. Cary , N.C. : SAS Inst. Inc.
- 1997. The effect of post mortem aging on meat flavor quality in Brangus beef. Correlation of treatments, sensory, instrumental and chemical descriptors. Food Chem 59:531–8. , , , .
- 2007a. Quality changes in various beef muscles enhanced prior to aging. I. Gluteus medis, Intraspinatus, Psoas major, Rectus femoris, and Teres major muscles enhanced prior to aging. J Food Sci 72(4):S242–6. , , .
- 2007b. Quality changes in various beef muscles enhanced prior to aging. II. Complexus, Serratus ventralis, Vastus lateralis, Vastus medialis and Longissimus dorsi muscles. J Food Sci. In press. , , , .
- 2006. Factors influencing the variation in tenderness of seven major beef muscles from three Angus and Brahman breed crosses. Meat Sci 73:475–83. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Aging and enhancement effects on quality characteristics of beef strip steaks. J Food Sci 70:S242–8. , , , , , .
- 2003. Influence of growth rate in two growth periods on intramuscular connective tissue and palatability traits of beef. Czech J Anim Sci 48:113–9. , , .