Effects of Banana, Orange, and Apple on Oxidative Stress-Induced Neurotoxicity in PC12 Cells
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2008
2008 Institute of Food Technologists
Journal of Food Science
Volume 73, Issue 2, pages H28–H32, March 2008
How to Cite
Heo, H.J., Choi, S.J., Choi, S.-G., Shin, D.-H., Lee, J.M. and Lee, C.Y. (2008), Effects of Banana, Orange, and Apple on Oxidative Stress-Induced Neurotoxicity in PC12 Cells. Journal of Food Science, 73: H28–H32. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00632.x
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2008
- MS 20070602 Submitted 8/1/2007, Accepted 11/5/2007
- 1999. Alzheimer's disease and oxidative stress: implications for novel therapeutic approaches. Prog Neurobiol 57:301–23. .
- 1999. W. Bcl-2 facilitates recovery from DNA damage after oxidative stress. Exp Neurol 159:309–18. , , , , .
- 2000. Antioxidant activity of fresh apples. Nature 405:903–4. , , .
- 1999. More than one way to die: apoptosis and necrosis and reactive oxygen damage. Oncogene 18:7719–30. , , , .
- 1992. Free radical damage to protein and DNA: mechanisms involved and relevant observations on brain undergoing oxidative stress. Ann Neurol 32:S22–7. , .
- 2002. Antioxidant strategies for Alzheimer's disease. P Nutr Soc 61:191–202. , .
- 1996. A hypothesis on the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Ann NY Acad Sci 786:152–68.
- 2004. Protective effects of quercetin and vitamin C against oxidative stress-induced neurodegeneration. J Agric Food Chem 52:4514–7. , .
- 2005. Strawberry and its anthocyanins reduce oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells. J Agric Food Chem 53:1984–9. , .
- 2001. Protective effect of 4′,5-dihydroxy-3′,6,7-trimethoxyflavone from Artemisia asiatica against A induced oxidative stress in PC12 cells. Amyloid 8:194–201. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Usolic acid of Origanum majorana L. reduces Aβ-induced oxidative injury. Mol Cells 13:5–11. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Apple phenolics protect in vitro oxidative stress-induced neuronal cell death. J Food Chem 69:S357–60. , , , , .
- 2003. Protective effect of resveratrol on β amyloid-induced oxidative PC12 cell death. Free Radical Bio Med 34:1100–10. , .
- 2007. Nox enzymes, ROS, and chronic disease: an example of antagonistic pleiotropy. Free Radical Bio Med 43:332–47.
- 2002. Preventive effects of vitamin C on carcinogenesis. Lancet 359:172. , , , .
- 2003. Major phenolics in apple and their contribution to the total antioxidant capacity. J Agric Food Chem 51:6516–20. , , , , .
- 1999. Oxidative alterations in Alzheimer's disease. Brain Pathol 9:133–46. , .
- Ministry of Agriculture & Forestry, Republic of Korea. 2004. information & data. Available from: http://english.maf.go.kr/index.jsp. Accessed June 5 2007.
- 1998. Evidence of oxidative stress and in vivo neurotoxicity of beta-amyloid in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease: a chronic oxidative paradigm for testing anti-oxidant therapies in vivo. Am J Pathol 152:871–7. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Redox-sensitive protein phosphatase activity regulates the phosphorylation state of p38 protein kinase in primary astrocyte culture. J Neurosci Res 55:724–32. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Apple juice prevents oxidative stress and impaired cognitive performance caused by genetic and dietary deficiencies in mice. J Nutr 7:1–6. , , , .
- 2005. Antioxidants for the prevention of dementia: overview of the pre-advise trial. Alzheimer's Dementia 1:74. , , , , , .
- 1985. Mitochondrial abnormalities in cortical dendrites from patients with Alzheimer's disease. J Submicroscopic Cytol Pathol 17:459–64. , , , , .
- 1996. Free radical independent protection by nerve growth factor and Bcl-2 of PC12 cells from hydrogen peroxide triggered-apoptosis. J Biochem 120:540–6. , , , , .
- 1994. Cell biology of the amyloid-beta protein precursor and the mechanism of Alzheimer's disease. Annu Rev Cell Dev Bi 10:373–403.
- 1999. Translating cell biology into therapeutic advances in Alzheimer's disease. Nature 399:A23–31.
- 1994. Elevated interleukin-6 secretion levels by mononuclear cells of Alzheimer's patients. Neurosci Lett 174:130–2. , , , , .
- 1993. Mitochondrial DNA variants observed in Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson disease patients. Genomics 17:171–84. , , , , , , , , , .
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Economic Research Service (ERS). 2007. Food availability. Available from: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data/foodconsumption/FoodAvailIndex.htm.
- 1992. Mitochondrial genetics: a paradigm for aging and degenerative disease? Science 256:628–32.
- 1996. Total antioxidant capacity of fruits. J Agric Food Chem 44:701–5. , , .
- 2000. Cytotoxicity and viability assays in animal cell culture: a practical approach. 3rd ed. Oxford . Oxford Univ. Press. Vol 1. p 175–219.
- 2001. Possible emerging role of phytochemicals in improving age-related neurological dysfunctions: a multiplicity of effects. Free Radical Bio Med 30:583–94. , .
- 1985. Regional lipid peroxidation in rat brain in vitro: possible role of endogeneous iron. Neurochem Res 10:397–410. , .
- 2007. Oxidative stress: a bridge between Down's syndrome and Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging 28:648–76. , , .