Effect of Sucrose on Physical Properties of Spray-Dried Whole Milk Powder
Article first published online: 17 OCT 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 73, Issue 9, pages E431–E438, November/December 2008
How to Cite
Lay Ma, U.V., Ziegler, G.R. and Floros, J.D. (2008), Effect of Sucrose on Physical Properties of Spray-Dried Whole Milk Powder. Journal of Food Science, 73: E431–E438. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00955.x
- Issue published online: 3 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 17 OCT 2008
- MS 20080080 Submitted 2/1/2008, Accepted 8/17/2008
- 1993. Lactose in spray-dried whole milk powders and the processing of milk chocolate. [DPhil dissertation]. University Park , Pa. : The Pennsylvania State Univ . 174 p. .
- 1994a. Physical and microscopic characterization of dry whole milk with altered lactose content. 1. Effect of lactose concentration. J Dairy Sci 77(5):1189–97. , .
- 1994b. Physical and microscopic characterization of dry whole milk with altered lactose content. 2. Effect of lactose crystallization. J Dairy Sci 77(5):1198–204. , .
- 2003. The use of experimental factorial design for analysing the effect of spray dryer operating variables on the production of tomato powder. Food Bioprod Process 81(C2):81–8. , , , .
- 1994. Rates of crystallization of dried lactose-sucrose mixtures. J Food Sci 59(1):197–205. , .
- inventors; Hershey Foods Corp., assignee. 2003. Process for crystallizing amorphous lactose in milk powder. U. S. patent 6,548,099. , , ,
- 1980. The effect of concentrate viscosity on the properties of spray dried skim milk powder. New Zeal J Dairy Sci 15:289–97. , , .
- 1997. Problems associated with spray drying of sugar rich foods. Drying Technol 15(2):671–84. , , .
- 1965. The true density of spray milk powders and of certain constituents. Neth Milk Dairy J 19:249–65. .
- 1971a. Free fat in spray-dried whole milk. 3. Particle size. Its estimation, influence of processing parameters and its relation to free-fat content. Neth Milk Dairy J 25:53–72. .
- 1971b. Free fat in spray-dried whole milk. 10. A final report with a physical model for free fat in spray-dried milk. Neth Milk Dairy J 25:159–74. .
- 1978. A classical thermodynamic discussion of the effect of composition on glass transition temperatures. Macromolecules 11:117–9. , .
- 1982. The estimation of the mean particle density, the vacuole volume and the porosity of spray-dried porous powders. Neth Milk Dairy J 36:53–64. .
- 2003. Droplet and particle size relationship and shell thickness of inhalable lactose particles during spray drying. J Pharm Sci 92(4):900–10. , , , .
- 1996. Changes in surface composition of spray-dried food powders due to lactose crystallization. Food Sci Technol-Lebensm-Wiss Technol 29(5–6):438–46. , .
- 1996. Water and ice. In: FennemaOR, editor. Food chemistry. 3rd ed. New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc. p 17–94. .
- 2003. Glass transition temperature of regular and lactose hydrolyzed milk powders. Food Sci Technol-Lebensm-Wiss Technol 36:547–51. , , .
- 1996. Edible wheat gluten film: Influence of water content on glass transition temperature. J Agric Food Chem 44(11):3474–8. , .
- 1990. Spray dried whole milk powder for the manufacture of milk chocolate. Scand Dairy Inf 4(2):79–82. , .
- 2004a. Water plasticization and crystallization of lactose in spray-dried lactose/protein mixtures. J Food Sci 69(1):FEP23–9. , .
- 2004b. Water sorption and plasticization behavior of spray-dried lactose/protein mixtures. J Food Sci 69(8):E384–91. , .
- 1987. The glass-liquid transition of hyperquenched water. Nature 330(6148):552–3. , , .
- 1994. Glass transitions and crystallization in milk powders. J Dairy Sci 77(10):2907–15. , .
- 1997. Glass transition, water plasticization, and lactose crystallization in skim milk powder. J Dairy Sci 80(12):3152–60. , , .
- 2003. Effects of ultrafiltration of whole milk on some properties of spray-dried milk powders. Int Dairy J 13(12):995–1002. , , .
- 1965. The physical structure of dried milk. Dairy Sci Abstr 27:91–104. .
- 2003. A process for increasing the free fat content of spray-dried whole milk powder. J Food Sci 68(1):210–6. , , .
- 2005. Sucrose in spray dried whole milk powder and the refining and conching processes in chocolate manufacture: a glass transition approach. [M.S.]. University Park : The Pennsylvania State Univ . 149 p. .
- 2004. Effects of milk powders in milk chocolate. J Dairy Sci 87:20–31. , .
- 1985. Spray drying handbook. 4th ed. New York : Halsted Press. 696 p. .
- Micromeritics. 1992. Multivolume pycnometer 1305—operator's manual. Norcross , Ga. : Micromeritics Instrument Corp.
- 2003. FTIR study of state and phase transitions of low moisture sucrose and lactose. Carbohydr Res 338(21):2195–202. , , .
- 1995a. Characterization of food polymers using state diagrams. J Food Eng 24(3):339–60. .
- 1995b. Glass transition-related physicochemical changes in foods. Food Technol 10:97–102. .
- 2002. Importance of glass transition and water activity to spray drying and stability of dairy powders. Lait 82(4):475–84. .
- 1990. Differential scanning calorimetry study of phase transitions affecting the quality of dehydrated materials. Biotechnol Progr 6:159–63. , .
- 1991. Plasticizing effect of water on thermal behavior and crystallization of amorphous food models. J Food Sci 56(1):38–43. , .
- 1992. Crystallization of amorphous lactose. J Food Sci 57(3):775–7. , .
- 1985. Particle structure in spray-dried whole milk and in instant skim milk powder as related to lactose crystallization. Food Microstruct 4(2):333–40. .
- 1993. Introduction to food engineering. 2nd ed. San Diego , Calif. : Academic Press. 499 p. , .
- 1991. Beyond water activity: Recent advances based on an alternative approach to the assessment of food quality and safety. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 30:115–360. , .
- 1968. Calorimetric study of the glassy state. IV. Heat capacities of glassy water and cubic ice. Bull Chem Soc Japan 41(11):2591–9. .
- 1998. Milk powder in chocolate. Farm Food 8(1):9–11. , .
- 2007. The state of aggregation of casein affects the storage stability of amorphous sucrose, lactose, and their mixtures. Food Biophys 2(1):10–9. , .
- 2005. Spray drying of high-sucrose dairy emulsions: feasibility and physicochemical properties. J Food Sci 70(3):244–51. , , .
- 2007. Casein molecular assembly affects the properties of milk fat emulsions encapsulated in lactose or trehalose matrices. 17(6):683–95. , , .
- 1972. Vacuole formation in spray powder particles 2. Location and prevention of air incorporation. Neth Milk Dairy J 26:203–24. .
- 1986. Physical-properties of dried milk in relation to chocolate manufacture. Neth Milk Dairy J 40(2–3):261–8. .
- 2002. The phase diagram of milk: a new tool for optimising the drying process. Lait 82:485–500. .
- 1999. Dairy technology. New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc. 727 p. , , , , .
- 2003. Grinding spray-dried milk powder near the glass transition temperature. J Food Process Eng 26(2):149–160. , .