Depuration of Striped Venus Clam (Chamelea gallina L.): Effects on Microorganisms, Sand Content, and Mortality
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages M1–M7, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Maffei, M., Vernocchi, P., Lanciotti, R., Guerzoni, M.E., Belletti, N. and Gardini, F. (2009), Depuration of Striped Venus Clam (Chamelea gallina L.): Effects on Microorganisms, Sand Content, and Mortality. Journal of Food Science, 74: M1–M7. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00971.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
- MS 20080069 Submitted 1/28/2008, Accepted 8/12/2008
- Anonymous. 1979. Council Directive of 30 October 1979 on the quality required of shellfish water (79/923 EEC). Off J Europ Comm, nr L281 10.11.79, 47–52.
- Anonymous. 1991. Council Directive of 15 July 1991 laying Down the Health Conditions for the Production and the Placing on the Market of Live Bivalve Molluscs (91/492/EEC). Off J Europ Comm, nr L268 24.9.91, 1–14.
- Anonymous. 2001. Commission Regulation (EC) No. 466/2001 of 8 March 2001 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs. Off J Europ Comm, nr L077 16.03.01, 1–13.
- Anonymous. 2002. Commission Regulation (EC) No 221/2002 of 6 February 2002 amending Regulation (EC) No 466/2001 setting maximum levels for certain contaminants in foodstuffs. Off J Europ Comm, nr L037 07.02.02, 30–31.
- Anonymous. 2005. Commission Regulation (EC) No 2073/2005 of 15 November 2005 on legislative microbiological limits applied on food products. Off J Europ Comm, nr L 338/1 22.12.02, 1–26.
- 2001. Determination of several potential virulence factors in Vibrio spp. isolated from sea water. Food Microbiol 18:479–88. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Presence of vibrios in seawater and Mytilus galloprovincialis (Lam.) from the Mar Piccolo of Taranto (Ionian Sea). Water Res 36:3719–26. , .
- 1991. Indicators and alternate indicators of growing waters. In: WardDR, AckneyCH, editors. Microbiology of marine food products AVI Book. New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold. p 19–39. .
- 2006. Occurrence of Vibrio spp. and Aeromonas spp. in shellfish harvested in Dardanelles coast of Turkey. Food Cont 17:648–52. , , .
- 2002. Effects of depuration of molluscs experimentally contaminated with Escherichia coli, Vibrio cholerae O1 and Vibrio parahaemolyticus. J Appl Microbiol 92:460–5. , , , .
- 2003. Depuration conditions for great scallops (Pecten maximus). J Shell Res 22:409–14. , , .
- 2000. Il contributo della ricerca scientifica alla gestione della pesca dei molluschi bivalvi con draghe idrauliche. Biologia Marina Mediterranea, 7:71–82. .
- 2000. Suitability of the log-linear models to evacuate the microbiological quality of baby clams (Chamelea gallina L.) harvested in the Adriatic Sea. Int J Food Microbiol 54:3–74. , , , , .
- 1978. Comparison of two rapid test procedures with the standard EC test for recovery fecal bacteria from shell-fish-growing waters. J Ass Off Anal Chem 61:1317–20. , .
- [ISO] Intl. Organisation for Standardisation. 1993. Microbiology-general guidance for the detection of Salmonella. ISO 6579:1993. Switzerland : ISO.
- 1994. Microbial and chemical indicators. In: HackneyCR, PiersonMD, editors. Environmental indicators and shellfish safety. New York : Chapman and Hall Ed. p 30–42. , .
- 2000. Bacteriophages as indicators of enteric viruses and public health risk in groundwaters. J Appl Microbiol 88:5–21. , , , .
- 2002. Developing microbiological risk assessment for shellfish purification. Int Biodet Biodegr 50:177–83. , .
- 1999. Uptake and retention of Vibrio cholerae non-O1, Salmonella typhi, Escherichia coli and Vibrio harvey by mussels in seawater. New Microbiol 22:129–38. , , , , .
- 2005. Hydraulic dredge discards of the clam (Chamelea gallina) fishery in the western Adriatic Sea, Italy. Fisher Res 76:430–44. , , , .
- 2006. Seasonal changes in physiological responses and evaluation of “well-being” in the Venus clam Chamelea gallina from the Northern Adriatic Sea. Comp Biochem Physiol Part A 145:433–40. , .
- 1997. Vibrio species. In: DoyleMP, BeuchatLR, MontvilleTJ, editors. Food microbiology. Washington , DC : Fundamentals and Frontiers, American Society for Microbiology. , .
- 2006. Nutritional and commercial quality of the striped venus clam, Chamelea gallina, from the Adriatic sea. Food Chem 101:1063–70. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Age determination and shell growth of Chamelea gallina (Bivalvia: Veneridae) in the western Mediterranean. Mar Ecol Progr Series 89:15–23. , .
- 1999. Occurrence of Vibrio and other pathogenic bacteria in Mytilus galloprovincialis (mussels) harvested from Adriatic Sea, Italy. Int J Food Microbiol 49:43–8. , , , , , .
- 1994. Depuration and relaying of molluscan shellfish. In: HackneyCR, PiersonMD, editors. Environment indicators and shellfish safety. New York : Chapman & Hall. p 331–63. , .
- 2000. Review of regulations and monitoring of Italian marine aquaculture. J Appl Ichthyol 16:182–6. , , .
- 1999. The rate of concentration of faecal coliforms in shellfish under different environmental conditions. Environ Int 2:991–1000. , , , .
- 2007. Characterization of Mediterranean mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) harvested in Adriatic Sea (Italy). Food Cont 18:1575–83. , , , , .
- 1995. Microbial contamination of shellfish: prevalence, risk to human health, and control strategies. Ann Rev Pub Health 16:123–40. , .