The use of trade names does not imply endorsement or lack of endorsement of those not mentioned.
The Impact of Agglomeration and Storage on Flavor and Flavor Stability of Whey Protein Concentrate 80% and Whey Protein Isolate
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages S17–S29, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Wright, B.J., Zevchak, S.E., Wright, J.M. and Drake, M.A. (2009), The Impact of Agglomeration and Storage on Flavor and Flavor Stability of Whey Protein Concentrate 80% and Whey Protein Isolate. Journal of Food Science, 74: S17–S29. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00975.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
- MS 20080299 Submitted 4/20/2008, Accepted 9/8/2008
- [ADPI] American Dairy Products Inst. 2002. Determination of solubility index. Standards for grades of dry milks. Bulletin Nr 916. 2nd ed. Elmhurst , Ill .: American Dairy Products Inst. p 30–1.
- Anonymous. 2005. Wettability. Niro Method Nr A5a. Available from: http://www.niro.com/ndk_website/niro/cmsdoc.nsf/WebDoc/ndkw6u9bbd. Accessed Jan 24,2007.
- Anonymous. 2006. Powder bulk volume. Niro Method Nr A2b. Available from: http://www.niro.com/ndk_website/niro/cmsdoc.nsf/WebDoc/ndkw6u9axe. Accessed Jan 24, 2007.
- 2005. Effect of high-pressure treatment and a bacteriocin-producing lactic culture on the odor and aroma of Hispanico cheese: correlation of volatile compounds and sensory analysis. J Agric Food Chem 54:382–9. , , , , .
- 2003. Identification and quantification of character aroma components in fresh Chevre-style goat cheese. J Food Sci 68:2441–7. , , , .
- 2005. Characterization of dried whey protein concentrate and isolate flavor. J Dairy Sci 88:3826–39. , , .
- 2005. Influence of flavor variability in skim milk powder on consumer acceptability of ingredient applications. J Food Sci 70:S427–31. , , .
- 2007. Sensory properties of meal replacement bars and beverages made from whey or soy proteins. J Food Sci 72:S425–34. , , .
- 2006. Comparison of the compositional, microbiological, biochemical, and volatile profile characteristics of nine Italian ewes' milk cheeses. J Dairy Sci 89:4126–43. , , , , , .
- 2006. Flavor and flavor carry-through of whey proteins in beverages. p 292–300. In The Wonders of Whey…..Catch the Power. Proceedings of the 4th International Whey Conference. Elmhurst , Ill. : American Dairy Products Inst. 440 p. .
- 2007. Sensory analysis of dairy foods. J Dairy Sci 90:4925–37. .
- 2009. Sensory properties of dairy proteins. Ch 15 In: BolandM, SinghH, ThompsonA, editors, Milk proteins: from expression to food. San Diego , Calif. : Academic Press. p 429–45. , , .
- 2007. Dairy powder rehydration: influence of protein state, incorporation mode, and agglomeration. J Dairy Sci 90:570–81. , , , , .
- 2005. Influence of starter culture on flavor and headspace volatile profiles of fermented whey and whey produced from fermented milk. J Dairy Sci 3745–53. , , .
- 2002. Relationships between volatile compounds and odour in Manchego cheese: comparison between artisanal and industrial cheeses at different ripening times. Lait 82:613–28. , , , , .
- 2006. Major advances in concentrated and dry milk products, cheese, and milk fat based spreads. J Dairy Sci 89:1179–88. , , , .
- 2004. Chemical and physical methods. Ch 15. In: WehrHM, FrankJF, editors. Standard methods for the examination of dairy products. Washington , D.C. : Am Public Health Assoc. p 363–532. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Volatile component change in whey protein concentrate during storage investigated by headspace solid-phase microextraction gas chromatography. Dairy Sci Technol 88:95–104. , .
- 2004. Sensory and nutritional quality of nonfat dry milk in long-term residential storage. J Food Sci 69:S326–31. , , , .
- 2007. Effect of cold storage and packaging material on the major aroma components of sweet cream butter. J Agric Food Chem 55:7840–6. , , , . .
- 2001. Characterization of volatiles from cultured dairy spreads during storage by dynamic headspace GC/MS. Eur Food Res Technol 212:636–42. , .
- 2004. Aroma compounds in sweet whey powder. J Dairy Sci 87:4057–63. , , .
- 1999. Sensory evaluation techniques. 3rd ed. New York : CRC Press. 387 p. , , .
- 2007. Dairy protein hydrolysates. Ch. 72 In: HuiYH, editor. Handbook of food products manufacturing. Hoboken , N.J. : Wiley and Sons, Inc. p 537–56. , .
- 2005. Agglomeration in industry: occurrence and applications. Vol. 1, Weinheim , Germany : WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA. p 207–46. .
- 2003. Comparison of solid-phase microextraction and purge and trap methods for the analysis of the volatile fraction of butter. J Chrom 985:117–25. , .
- 2007. Study on the influence of pasture on volatile fraction of ewes' dairy products by solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Dairy Sci 90:556–60. , , , .
- 1999. Headspace sampling of whey protein concentrate solutions using solid-phase microextraction. Food Res Int 31:371–9. , , .
- 2006. Sensory properties of whey and soy proteins. J Food Sci 71:447–55. , .
- 2005. Rate of Maillard browning in sweet whey powder. J Dairy Sci 88:1636–45. , , .
- 2006. Physicochemical, microbiological, aroma, and flavor profile of selected commercial sweet whey powders. J Food Sci 71:157–63. , , .
- 2001a. Lecithin associated off-flavors in fermented dairy products. J Food Sci 66:517–24. , , .
- 2001b. Lipid oxidation of deoiled soy lecithin by lactic acid bacteria. Lebensm Wiss U Technol 34:462–8. , , .
- 2005. Fluidised bed agglomeration: agglomerates shape and end-use properties. Powder Technol 157:168–75. , , , .
- USDEC. 2004. Products definition, composition, functions. Reference Manual for U.S. Whey and Lactose Products. P27–40.
- 1992. Volatiles from interactions of Maillard reaction and lipids. Crit Rev Food Sci Nut 31:1–58. .
- 2006. Characterization of a cabbage off-flavor in whey protein isolate. J Food Sci 71:86–90. , , , .
- 1963. A Generalization of retention index system including linear temperature programmed gas-liquid partition chromatography. J Chromatog 11:463–7. , .
- 2001. Cheese flavour formation by amino acid catabolism. Int Dairy J 11:185–201. , .