A Combination of Grape Seed-Derived Procyanidins and Gypenosides Alleviates Insulin Resistance in Mice and HepG2 Cells
Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages H1–H7, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Zhang, H.-J., Ji, B.-P., Chen, G., Zhou, F., Luo, Y.-C., Yu, H.-Q., Gao, F.-Y., Zhang, Z.-P. and Li, H.-Y. (2009), A Combination of Grape Seed-Derived Procyanidins and Gypenosides Alleviates Insulin Resistance in Mice and HepG2 Cells. Journal of Food Science, 74: H1–H7. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00976.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 27 OCT 2008
- MS 20080357 Submitted 5/13/2008, Accepted 8/29/2008
- 2003. Gypenosides derived from Gynostemma pentaphyllum suppress NO synthesis in murine macrophages by inhibiting iNOS enzymatic activity and attenuating NF-kappaB-mediated iNOS protein expression. Nitric Oxide 8:235–42. , , , .
- 2004. Antidiabetic activity of red wine polyphenolic extract, ethanol, or both in streptozotocin-treated rats. J Agric Food Chem 52:1008–16. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Protective effects of grape seed proanthocyanidins and selected antioxidants against TPA-induced hepatic and brain lipid peroxidation and DNA fragmentation, and peritoneal macrophage activation in mice. Gen Pharmacol 30:771–6. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Hairy root cultures of Gynostemma pentaphyllum (Thunb.) Makino: a promising approach for the production of gypenosides as an alternative of ginseng saponins. Biotechnol Lett 27:1165–9. , , , , .
- 2005. Cardiovascular effects of the aqueous extract of Gynostemma pentaphyllum Makino. Phytomedicine 12:638–43. , , .
- 1990. Weight as a risk factor for clinical diabetes in women. Am J Epidemiol 132:501–13. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Hyperinsulinemic diseases of civilization: more than just Syndrome X. Comp Biochem Physiol A 136:95–112. , , .
- 1999. Gynostemma pentaphyllum: identification of major sapogenins and differentiation from Panax species. Eur J Pharm Sci 8:187–91. , , .
- 1987. Factors underlying significant underestimations of glucokinase activity in crude liver extracts: physiological implications of higher cellular activity. Arch Biochem Bophys 253:156–67. , .
- 2005. Protective effect of red grape seeds proanthocyanidins against induction of diabetes by alloxan in rats. Pharmacol Res 52:264–70. , , .
- 2003. A war on obesity, not the obese. Science 299:856–8. .
- 1990. The genes of hepatic glucose metabolism. J Biol Chem 265:10173–6. , .
- 2002. Clofibrate improves glucose tolerance in fat-fed rats but decreases hepatic glucose consumption capacity. J Hepatol 37:425–31. , , , , , .
- 1989. Re-examination and further development of a precise and rapid dye method for measuring cell growth/cell kill. J Immunol Methods 119:203–10. , , .
- 2007. The possible mechanisms by which phanoside stimulates insulin secretion from rat islets. J Endocrinol 192:389–94. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Stimulation by insulin of glucokinase gene transcription in liver of diabetic rats. J Biol Chem 263:740–4. , , .
- 2004. The hypoglycemic effects of hesperidin and naringin are partly mediated by hepatic glucose-regulating enzymes in C57BL/KsJ-db/db mice. J Nutr 134:2499–503. , , , .
- 2008. Effects of the ethanol extract of the roots of Brassica rapa on glucose and lipid metabolism in C57BL/KsJ-db/db mice. Clin Nutr 27:158–67. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Effect of a polyphenols-enriched chardonnay white wine in diabetic rat. J Agric Food Chem 51:311–8. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetalogia 28:412–9. , , , , , .
- 1992. What if Minkowski had been ageusic? An alternative angle on diabetes. Science 258:766–70. .
- 2005. Phytopreventative antihyperlipidemic effects of Gynostemma pentaphyllum in rats. J Pharm Pharm Sci 8:507–15. , , , .
- 2006. Anti-hyperlipidemic and hypoglycemic effects of Gynostemma pentaphyllum in the zucker fatty rat. J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci 9:281–91. , , .
- [NRC] Natl. Research Council. 1985. Guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. NIH publication no. 85. Bethesda , Md. : Natl. Inst. of Health. 23 p.
- 2004. A novel insulin-releasing substance, phanoside, from the plant Gynostemma pentaphyllum. J Biol Chem 279:41361–7. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Grape seed-derived procyanidins have an antihyperglycemic effect in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats and insulinomimetic activity in insulin-sensitive cell lines. Endocrinology 145:4985–90. , , , , , .
- 2000. Dietary intake and bioavailability of polyphenols. J Nutr 130:2073S–85S. , .
- 1950. The estimation of glycogen with the anthrone reagent. Arch Biochem Biophys 50:191–200. , , , .
- 1965. A colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolibdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 16:144–58. , .
- 1991. Cell mediated cytotoxicity against U 937 cells by human monocytes and macrophages in a modified colorimetric MTT assay. J Immunol Methods 141:15–22. , , , , .
- 2006. Effect of ethanolic extracts of Ananas comosus L. leaves on insulin sensitivity in rats and HepG2. Comp Biochem Physiol, C 143:429–35. , , , , , .
- 2003. Characterisation of some cytotoxic endpoints using rat liver and HepG2 spheroids as in vitro models and their application in hepatotoxicity studies. I. Glucose metabolism and enzyme release as cytotoxic markers. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 189:100–11. , , .
- 2004. Wild ginseng prevents the onset of high-fat diet induced hyperglycemia and obesity in ICR mice. Arch Pharm Res 27:790–6. , , , , .