Discoloration Characteristics of 3 Major Muscles From Cattle During Cold Storage
Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C1–C5, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Jeong, J.Y., Hur, S.J., Yang, H.S., Moon, S.H., Hwang, Y.H., Park, G.B. and Joo, S.T. (2009), Discoloration Characteristics of 3 Major Muscles From Cattle During Cold Storage. Journal of Food Science, 74: C1–C5. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00983.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 7 NOV 2008
- MS 20080505 Submitted 7/7/2008, Accepted 9/10/2008
- 2001. Principles of meat science. 4th ed. Iowa , USA : Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co. , , , .
- 1995. Localization of metmyoglobin-reducing enzyme (NADH-cytochrome b5 reductase) system components in bovine skeletal muscle. Meat Sci 39:205–13. , , , , .
- 2001. Metmyoglobin reducing activity and color stability of ovine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci 57:427–35. , , , .
- 1972. Consumption of oxygen by the muscles of beef and related species, and its effect on the color of meat. II. Consumption of oxygen by post-rigor muscle. J Sci Food Agric 23:707–19. , .
- 1991. Isolation of skeletal muscle mitochondria from hamsters using an ionic medium containing ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid and Nagarse. Anal Biochem 192:344–9. , , , .
- 1978. Microsomal lipid peroxidation. In: FleischerS, PackerL, editors. Method in enzymology. Vol 52. New York : Academic Press. p 302–10. , .
- 1950. The distribution of the chromoproteins, hemoglobin, myoglobin, and cytochrome c, in the tissues of the different species, and the relationship of the total content of each chromoprotein to body mass. J Biol Chem 182:317–33. .
- 1990. Metmyoglobin reductase activity in bovine muscles. Meat Sci 27:161–72. . , .
- 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: a review. J Muscle Foods 1:217–43. , .
- 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226:497–509. , , .
- 2007. Influence of composition of muscle fiber type on meat quality characteristics of Hanwoo cattle. In Proceedings of 53th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Beijing , China . p 325–6. , , , , .
- 1999. The relationship of sarcoplasmic and Myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci 52:291–7. , , , .
- 1982. The determination of heam pigments in meat. Meat Sci 7:29–36. .
- 1991. Mitochondrial activity and beef muscle color stability. J Food Sci 56:1476–9. , .
- 1981. Effect of metal ions on residual nitrite. J Food Process Pres 5:191–205. , , .
- 2001. Contribution of pigment content, myoglobin forms and internal reflectance to the colour of pork loin and ham from pure breed pigs. Meat Sci 59:141–51. , , .
- 1975. Color retention in fresh meat stored in oxygen: a commercial scale trial. J Food Tech 10:339–47. , .
- 1993. Aging and processing affect color, metmyoglobin reductase and oxygen consumption of beef muscles. J Food Sci 58:939–42, 947. , .
- 2005. Biochemical and physical factors affecting discoloration characteristics of 19 bovine muscles. Meat Sci 70:665–82. , , , , , .
- 1982. Biochemical factors influencing metmyoglobin formation on beef from muscles of differing color stability. Meat Sci 7:209–28. , .
- 1990. Factors involved in the discoloration of beef meat. J Food Sci Tech 25:613–30. .
- 1987. Biochemical factors influencing metmyoglobin formation in beef muscles. Meat Sci 19:151–65. , .
- 2002. Comparison of assays for metmyoglobin reducing ability in beef inside and outside semimembranosus muscle. J Food Sci 67:978–84. , , , , .
- SAS. 1999. SAS/STAT software for pc. Release 6.11, Cary , N.C. : SAS, Inc.
- 2000. Economic implications of improved color stability in beef. In: DeckerE, FaustmanC, Lopes-BoteCJ, editors. Antioxidants in muscle foods. New York : John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p 397–426. , , , , .
- 1995. The relationship between the discoloration rate during refrigerated display and the autoxidation rate of purified myoglobin: the effects of muscle type and species. In Proceedings of 41st International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, San Antonio , TX . 404 p. , .
- 1979. The extraction of haem pigments from fresh meat. J Food Sci Technol 14:75–80. .