Identification of Candidate Amino Acids Involved in the Formation of Blue Pigments in Crushed Garlic Cloves (Allium sativum L.)
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C11–C16, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Cho, J., Lee, E. J., Yoo, K. S., Lee, S. K. and Patil, . B. S. (2009), Identification of Candidate Amino Acids Involved in the Formation of Blue Pigments in Crushed Garlic Cloves (Allium sativum L.). Journal of Food Science, 74: C11–C16. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00986.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2008
- MS 20080611 Submitted 8/10/2008, Accepted 9/22/2008
- 2005. Mechanism of the greening color formation of “Laba” garlic, a traditional homemade Chinese food product. J Agric Food Chem 53:7103–7. , , , , , .
- 2001. Storage quality of chopped garlic as influenced by organic acids and high-pressure treatment. J Sci Food Agric 81:397–403. , .
- 2006a. Identification of two novel pigment precursors and a reddish-purple pigment involved in the blue–green discoloration of onion and garlic. J Agric Food Chem 54:843–7. , , , .
- 2006b. Model studies on precursor system generating blue pigment in onion and garlic. J Agric Food Chem 54:848–52. , , , .
- 2007. Allium discoloration: The color-forming potential of individual thiosulfinates and amino acids: structural requirements for the color-developing precursors. J Agric Food Chem 54:3491–7. , .
- 2004. Allium discoloration: Precursors involved in onion pinking and garlic greening. J Agric Food Chem 52:5089–94. , , , .
- 2006a. Effect of storage temperature and S-alk(en)yl-L-cysteine sulfoxide on green pigment formation in crushed garlic (Allium sativum L.) cloves. Hort Environ Biotechnol 47:165–73. , , .
- 2006b. The chemical basis of green pigment formation (‘Greening’) in crushed garlic (Allium sativum L.) cloves. Food Sci Biotechnol 15:838–43. , , .
- 2005. Free amino acid and cysteine sulfoxide composition of 11 garlic (Allium sativum L.) cultivars by gas chromatography with flame ionization and mass selective detection. J Agric Food Chem 53:9100–4. , .
- 2007. Green pigment in crushed garlic (Allium sativum L.) cloves: purification and partial characterization. Food Chem 101:1677–86. , , , .
- 1986. Factors governing the greening of garlic puree. J Food Sci 51:1577, 1582. .
- 2004. Vitamin content and amino acid composition of picked garlic processed with and without fermentation. J Agric Food Chem 52:7324–30. , , , , .
- 1967a. Precursors involved in the formation of pink pigments in onion purees. J Agric Food Chem 15:423–6. , , .
- 1967b. Reactions involved in formation of a pink pigment in onion purees. J Agric Food Chem 15:417–22. , , .
- 2000. In vitro biogeneration of pure thiosulfinates and propanethial-S-oxide. J Agric Food Chem 48:6254–60. , .
- 2008. 2-(1H-Pyrrolyl)carboxylic acids as pigment precursors in garlic greening. J Agric Food Chem 56:1495–500. , , , , .