Physical Properties of Gelidium corneum–Gelatin Blend Films Containing Grapefruit Seed Extract or Green Tea Extract and Its Application in the Packaging of Pork Loins
Article first published online: 7 NOV 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C6–C10, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Hong, Y.-H., Lim, G.-O. and Song, K. B. (2009), Physical Properties of Gelidium corneum–Gelatin Blend Films Containing Grapefruit Seed Extract or Green Tea Extract and Its Application in the Packaging of Pork Loins. Journal of Food Science, 74: C6–C10. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00987.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 7 NOV 2008
- MS 20080488 Submitted 7/1/2008, Accepted 9/22/2008
- 1998. Effect of muscle type, packaging, and irradiation on lipid oxidation, volatile production, and color in raw pork patties. Meat Sci 49:29–39. , , , , , .
- ASTM. 1983. Standard test methods for water vapor transmission of materials. E 96–80, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Philadelphia , Pa . p 761–70.
- ASTM. 1993. Standard test methods for tensile properties of plastics. D638M, Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Philadelphia , Pa . p 59–67.
- 2002. Inhibition of three pathogens on bologna and summer sausage using antimicrobial edible films. J Food Sci 67(6):2317–24. , , .
- 2007. Preparation and physical properties of soy protein isolate and gelatin composite films. Food Hydrocolloids 21:1153–62. , , .
- 2004. Biopolymer-based antimicrobial packaging: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 44(4):223–37. , .
- 2004. Antimicrobial activities of botanical antimicrobial agent-grapefruit seed extract mixture for the preparation of antimicrobial packaging paper. Korean J Food Preserv 11(3):411–16. , , .
- 2001. Multilayered antimicrobial polyethylene films applied to the packaging of ground beef. Packag Technol Sci 14:55–62. , , .
- 2002. The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: II. Mechanism of action and in vitro toxicity. J Altern Complement Med 8(3):333–40. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Edible films produced with gelatin and casein cross-linked with transglutaminase. Food Res Int 39:458–66. , .
- 2008. Antioxidative activity and properties of fish skin gelatin films incorporated with BHT and α-tocopherol. Food Hydrocol 22(3):449–58. , , , .
- 1997. Physicochemical and rheological properties of agar by physical treatment. Korean J Food Nutr 10:228–33. , , .
- 2006. Development of antimicrobial edible film incorporated with green tea extract. Food Sci Biotechnol 15(3):478–81. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Physical and chemical properties of edible films containing nisin and their action against Listeria monocytogenes. J Food Sci 66(7):1006–11. , , , .
- 2007. Physical properties of nisin-incorporated gelatin and corn zein films and antimicrobial activity against Listeria monocytogenes. J Microbiol Biotechnol 17(3):520–3. , .
- 2007. Physical properties of Gelidium corneum films treated with cinnamaldehyde. J Food Sci Nutr 12(2):122–5. , , .
- 2008. Mechanical properties of a Gelidium corneum edible film containing catechin and its application in sausages. J Food Sci 73(3):C217–21. , , .
- 2008. Green tea—a potential preservative for extending the shelf life of fresh mutton at ambient temperature (25 ± 2 °C). Food Chem 107:426–33. , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of micro-perforated film on the quality and shelf life improvements of pork loins during chilled storage. Meat Sci 66(1):77–82. , , .
- 2006. Quick dissolvable, edible and heat sealable blend films based on konjac glucomannan—gelatin. Food Res Int 39(5):544–9. , , , .
- 2007. Diffusion of thiocyanate and hypothiocyanite in whey protein films incorporating the lactoperoxidase system. J Food Eng 80(4):1116–24. , , .
- 2001. Survival and growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Yersinia enterocolitica and Salmonella enteritidis on decontaminated and untreated meat. Meat Sci 57(3):291–8. , , .
- 2006. Antimicrobial activity of grapefruit seed extract. Korean J Food Nutr 19(4):526–31. , .
- 2007. Properties and microstructure of protein-based film from round scad (Decapterus maruadsi) muscle as affected by palm oil and chitosan incorporation. Int J Biol Macro 41(5):605–14. , , .
- 2002. The effectiveness of processed grapefruit-seed extract as an antibacterial agent: I. An in vitro agar assay. J Altern Complement Med 8(3):325–32. , , , , .
- 2007. Effects of plant essential oils and oil compounds on mechanical, barrier and antimicrobial properties of alginate-apple puree edible films. J Food Eng 81(3):634–41. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Effect of natural antioxidants on oxidative stability of cooked, refrigerated beef and pork. J Food Sci 72(4):S282–8. , .
- SAS. 2001. SAS system for windows. Version 8.2. Cary , N.C .: SAS Inst. Inc.
- 2006. Bioassay-guided purification and identification of antimicrobial components in Chinese green tea extract. J Chromatogr A 1125(2):204–10. , , , , , .
- 2008. Physical and antimicrobial properties of grape seed extract, nisin, and EDTA incorporated soy protein edible films. Food Res Int 41:781–5. , , .
- 2006. Inhibition of Listeria monocytogenes by nisin combined with grape seed extract or green tea extract in soy protein film coated on turkey frankfurters. J Food Sci 71(2):M39–44. , , .
- 2008. Effectiveness of commercial household steam cleaning systems in reducing the populations of Listeria monocytogenes and spoilage bacteria on inoculated pork skin surfaces. Lebensm Wiss Technol 41(2):295–302. , , .
- 1998. Edible bilayer films from zein and grain sorghum wax or carnauba wax. Lebensm Wiss Technol 31(3):279–85. , , .
- 2007. Antibacterial effect of grapefruit seed extract on food-borne pathogens and its application in the preservation of minimally processed vegetables. Postharvest Biol Technol 45(1):126–33. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Control of Listeria monocytogenes on ham steaks by antimicrobials incorporated into chitosan-coated plastic films. Food Microbiol 25(2):260–8. , , .