Effect of Antioxidant Application Methods on the Color, Lipid Oxidation, and Volatiles of Irradiated Ground Beef
Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C25–C32, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Ismail, H.A., Lee, E.J., Ko, K.Y., Paik, H.D. and Ahn, D.U. (2009), Effect of Antioxidant Application Methods on the Color, Lipid Oxidation, and Volatiles of Irradiated Ground Beef. Journal of Food Science, 74: C25–C32. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00991.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 NOV 2008
- MS 20080185 Submitted 3/12/2008, Accepted 9/25/2008
- 2004. Effects of ascorbic acid and antioxidants on color, lipid oxidation and volatiles of irradiated ground beef. Rad Phys Chem 71(1/2):151–6. , .
- 1998a. Packaging and irradiation effects on lipid oxidation and volatiles in pork patties. J Food Sci 63:15–9. , , , , , .
- 1998b. Effect of muscle type, packaging, and irradiation on lipid oxidation, volatile production and color in raw pork patties. Meat Sci 49:27–39. , , , , , .
- 1999a. Headspace oxygen in sample vials affects volatiles production of meat during the automated purge-and-trap/GC analysis. J Agric Food Chem 47(7):2776–81. , , .
- 1999b. Volatiles production and lipid oxidation of irradiated cooked sausage with different packaging during storage. J Food Sci 64:226–9. , , , , .
- 2000. Quality characteristics of pork patties irradiated and stored in different packaging and storage conditions. Meat Sci 56:203–9. , , , , .
- 2001. Volatile production in irradiated normal, pale soft exudative (PSE) and dark firm dry (DFD) pork under different packaging and storage conditions. Meat Sci 57(4):419–26. , , , .
- [AMSA] American Meat Science Association. 1991. Guidelines for meat color evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 4th reciprocal meat conference. Chicago , Ill. : Natl. Live Stock and Meat Board 1–17.
- 1986. The consumer climate for red meat. Special Issue. Washington , D.C. : American Meat Inst. Chicago , Ill. : Natl. Livestock and Meat Board. , .
- 1992. Effect of packaging on physical and sensory characteristics of ground pork in long-term frozen storage. J Food Sci 56:627–31. , .
- 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: a review. J Muscle Foods 1:217–43. , .
- 2001. Combined effect of ascorbic acid and gamma irradiation on microbial and sensorial characteristics of beef patties during refrigerated storage. J Agric Food Chem 49(2):919–25. , , , , , .
- 1996. Oxidative quality and shelf life of meats. Meat Sci 43(Suppl):111–23. , , .
- 1985. Long-term preservation of bacon by high energy electrons. Rad Phys Chem 25:167–71. , .
- 1993. Extending the bloom. Beef (May):8–12. .
- 2003. Effects of irradiation on properties of cured ham. J Food Sci 68(7):2362–5. , , .
- 2002a. Color, oxidation-reduction potential, and gas production of irradiated meats from different animal species. J Food Sci 67(5):1692–5. , , .
- 2002b. Volatile profiles, lipid oxidation and sensory characteristics of irradiated meat from different animal species. Meat Sci 61(3):257–65. , , .
- 2004. Sources and mechanisms of carbon monoxide production by irradiation. J Food Sci 69(6):C485–90. , .
- 1999. A comparison of carnosine and ascorbic acid on color and lipid stability in a ground beef patties model system. Meat Sci 51(3):245–53. , , .
- 1994. Dietary α-tocopheryl acetate contributes to lipid stability in cooked beef. J Food Sci 59(2):288–90. , , , , .
- 1997. Color and oxidative properties of irradiated ground beef patties. J Muscle Foods 8:445–64. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Vitamins E and C improve pigment and lipid stability in ground beef. J Food Sci 56(1):194–7. , , , , , .
- 1999. Treatments for prevention of persistent pinking in dark-cutting beef patties. J Food Sci 64:738–43. , .
- 1998. Lipid stability in meat and meat products. Meat Sci 49(S):73–86. , , , , .
- 2002a. Mechanism of pink color formation in irradiated precooked turkey breast meat. J Food Sci 67(2):600–7. , .
- 2002b. Carbon monoxide-heme pigment is responsible for the pink color in irradiated raw turkey breast meat. Meat Sci 60:25–33. , .
- 2003a. Effects of ascorbic acid and antioxidants on the color of irradiated ground beef. J Food Sci 68(5):1686–90. , .
- 2003b. Use of double packaging and antioxidant combinations to improve color, lipid oxidation, and volatiles of irradiated raw and cooked turkey breast patties. Poultry Sci 82:850–7. , .
- 2001. Cholesterol oxides in irradiated raw meat with different packaging and storage time. Meat Sci 58(4):431–5. , , , .
- 2006. Influence of rosemary-tochopherol/packaging combination on meat quality and the survival of pathogens in restructured irradiated pork loins. Meat Sci 74:380–7. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Color characteristics of irradiated vacuum-packaged pork, beef, and turkey. J Food Sci 63(6):1001–6. , , .
- 1999. Color characteristics of irradiated aerobically packaged pork, beef, and turkey. J Food Sci 64(2):272–8. , , .
- 1977. Warmed-over flavor in meat, poultry and fish. Adv Food Res 23:1–74. , , .
- 1986. Sensory aroma scores and TBA values as indices of warmed-over flavor in pork. J Food Sci 51:886–8. , , , .
- 2001. The effects of ascorbic acid, taurine, carnosine and rosemary powder on colour and lipid stability of beef patties packaged in modified atmosphere. Meat Sci 58(4):421–9. , , , , .
- SAS Inst. 1995. SAS/STAT user's guide. Cary , N.C. : SAS Inst. Inc.
- 1960. A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in rancid foods. J Am Oil Chem Soc 37:44–8. , , , .
- 1996. Effect of vitamin C concentration and co-injection with calcium chloride on beef retail display color. J Anim Sci 74(8):1846–53. , , .
- 1993. Gelation of crude myofibrillar protein isolated from beef heart under antioxidant conditions. J Food Sci 58(6):1241–4. , , , .
- 2003. Effect of irradiation on the quality of turkey ham during storage. Meat Sci 66:63–8. , , , .