Effects of Drying Temperature and Surface Characteristics of Vegetable on the Survival of Salmonella
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages E16–E22, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Hawaree, N., Chiewchan, N. and Devahastin, S. (2009), Effects of Drying Temperature and Surface Characteristics of Vegetable on the Survival of Salmonella. Journal of Food Science, 74: E16–E22. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01010.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2008
- MS 20080580 Submitted 7/30/2008, Accepted 9/29/2008
- 2005. Why food microstructure? J Food Eng 67:3–11. .
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. (5th ed.), Washington , D.C. : Assn. of Official Analytical Chemists.
- 1996. Pathogenic microorganisms associated with fresh produce. J Food Prot 59:204–16. .
- 2004. Factors affecting survival, growth and retrieval of Salmonella Poona on intact and wounded cantaloupe rind and in stem scar tissue. Food Microbiol 21:683–94. , .
- 2007. Effect of water activity on thermal resistance of Salmonella Krefeld in liquid medium and on rawhide surface. Int J Food Microbiol 114:43–9. , , .
- 2006. Strain and growth temperature influence Listeria spp. attachment to intact and cut cabbage. Int J Food Microbiol 111:34–42. , .
- 2005. An application of image analysis to dehydration of apple discs. J Food Eng 67:185–93. , , .
- 2000. Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on surface-uninjured and -injured green pepper (Capsicum annuum L.) by chlorine dioxide gas as demonstrated by confocal laser scanning microscopy. Food Microbiol 17:643–55. , , , .
- 1963. Factors affecting the heat resistance of nonsporing organisms. J Appl Bacteriol 26:314–33. , .
- 2003. Influence of surfactant hydrophobicity on the detachment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from lettuce. Int J Food Microbiol 87:145–52. , .
- 2004. Attachment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 grown in tryptic soy broth and nutrient broth to apple and lettuce surfaces as related to cell hydrophobicity, surface charge and capsule production. Int J Food Microbiol 96:103–9. , .
- 2002. Shrinkage of carrots during drying in an inert medium fluidized bed. J Food Eng 55:247–52. , .
- 2000. Analytical solution of mass transfer equation considering shrinkage for modeling food-drying kinetics. J Food Eng 45:1–10 , , .
- 1999. Survival of multidrug-resistant Salmonella typhimurium DT104 in egg powders as affected by water activity and temperature. Int J Food Microbiol 49:1–8. , .
- 1984. Survival of Salmonella in dry food and feed. J Food Prot 47:445–8. , , , , , .
- 2004. Quality and structural changes in starchy foods during microwave and convective drying. Food Research Int 37:497–503. , , .
- 1971. Survival of Salmonella Anatum heated in various media. Appl Microbiol 21:476–81. , , .
- 2002. Thermal inactivation of Salmonella Senftenberg and Listeria innocua in beef/turkey blended patties cooked via fryer and/or air convection oven. J Food Sci 67:1879–85. , , , , .
- National Advisory Committee on Microbiological Criteria for Foods. 1999. Microbiological safety evaluations and recommendations on fresh produce. Food Control 10:117–43.
- 2005. Identification of genes induced in Listeria monocytogenes during growth and attachment to cut cabbage using differential display. Appl Environ Microbiol 71:5236–43. , , , .
- 2000. Microbial survival curve: the reality of flat shoulders and absolute thermal death times. Food Research Int 33:531–8. .
- 2004. Characterization of food surface roughness using the glistening points method. J Food Eng 65:1–7. , .
- 2002. Description of food surfaces and microstructural changes using fractal image texture analysis. J Food Eng 53:361–71. , , , .
- 2001. Evaluation of the thermal resistance of different Salmonella serotypes in pork meat containing curing additives. Int J Food Microbiol 67:107–14. , , , .
- 2003. Structural changes during air-drying of fruits and vegetables. Food Sci Tech Int 9:201–6. , , .
- 2001. Efficacy of washing and sanitizing methods for disinfection of fresh fruit and vegetable products. Food Technol Biotechnol 39:305–11. .
- 1995. Salmonellae and Listeria spp. in raw vegetables. Food J 25:185–9 (in Thai). , .
- 2002. Microbial evaluation of selected fresh produce obtained at retail markets. J Food Prot 65:677–82. , , , , .
- 1981. Thermal inactivation of eight Salmonella serotypes on dry corn flour. Appl Environ Microbiol 42:688–91. , , .