A Near-Infrared (NIR) Technique for Imaging Food Materials
Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages E23–E33, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Pallav, P., Diamond, G.G., Hutchins, D.A., Green, R.J. and Gan, T.H. (2009), A Near-Infrared (NIR) Technique for Imaging Food Materials. Journal of Food Science, 74: E23–E33. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01011.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
- MS 20080539 Submitted 7/18/2008, Accepted 9/14/2008
- 1996. Diagnosis of Raynaud's phenomenon by thermography. Skin Res Technol 2:182–5. .
- 1978. Use of optical properties of food materials in quality evaluation and materials sorting. J Food Process Engr 2:307–22. .
- 2003. Foreign object and internal defect detection in food materials using non-contact ultrasound imaging. J Food Sci 68(3):967–74. , .
- 2000. Rapid monitoring of selected food properties using microwave dielectric spectra. Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 2000, 2nd International Conference on ICMMT 2000. p 670–3. , , .
- 1996. Automatic X-ray inspection for the food industry. Electrotechnology 7:8–10. .
- 2006. Non-contact ultrasonic quality measurement of food products. J Food Eng 77:239–47. , , .
- 2004. Detection of foreign bodies in food by thermal image processing. IEEE Trans Ind Electron 51(2):480–90. , , , .
- 1998. Approaches to foreign body detection in foods. Trends Food Sci Technol 9:21–7. , , .
- 2006. Nondestructive detection of brown core in the Chinese pear ‘Yali’ by transmission visible-NIR spectroscopy. Food Control 17:604–8. , , , , .
- 1993. Noninvasive monitoring of blood oxygenation by phase-resolved transmission spectroscopy. Proc SPIE – Int Soc Opt Engr 1888:275–88. , , .
- 2002. Attenuation of 1310-nm and 1550-nm laser light through sound dental enamel. Proc SPIE – Int Soc Opt Engr 4610:187–90. , .
- 2004. Non-destructive determination of acid-brix ratio of tomato juice using near infrared spectroscopy. Int J Food Sci Technol 39:425–30. , .
- 2004. Nondestructive measurement for mango inspection. IEEE Int Symp Commun Inf Technol 2:646–9. , , .
- 1997. Near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy for rapid analysis of curds during cheddar cheese making. J Food Sci 62(1):53–6. , , .
- 2006. Chemical imaging of biological tissue with synchrotron infrared light. Bichem Biophys Acta 1758:846–57. , .
- 2004. Is thermal scanner losing its bite in mass screening of fever due to SARS? Med Phys 31(12):93–7. .
- 1964. Reports on design and development of a new moisture meter. Agric Engr 45(7):370–2. .
- 2000. MRI Phase mapping of temperature distributions induced in food by microwave heating. Magn Reson Imaging 18:69–79. , , , , .
- 1969. Infrared thermography as a medical aid. R Telev Soc J 12(6):138–9. .
- 1981. Principles and practice of near infra-red (NIR) reflectance analysis. J Food Technol 16:13–9. .
- PerkinElmer™ instruments. What is a Lock-in amplifier?, Technical Note TN 1000. Available from: http://www.cpm.uncc.edu/programs/tn1000.pdf. Accessed May 22, 2008.
- 2000. Characterization of silicon wafer bonding by observation in transmitted infrared radiation from an extended source. Thin Solid Films 364:274–9. , .
- 2004. Non-ionizing near-infrared radiation transillumination spectroscopy for breast tissue density and assessment of breast cancer risk. J Biomed Opt 9(4):794–803. , , , .
- 1974. Ultrasonics to measure the moisture content of food products. Br J Nondestruct Test 16:169–73. .
- 2007. NIRS and MIRS technique for the determination of protein and fat content in milk powder. Proc SPIE – Int Soc Opt Engr 6625:66251S-1–8. , , , .
- 2006. Image analysis of breast tumors using thermal texture mapping (TTM). 2005 27th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. 3 p. , , , , .