Kinetics of an Acid-Base Catalyzed Reaction (Aspartame Degradation) as Affected by Polyol-Induced Changes in Buffer pH and pKa Values
Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C56–C61, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Chuy, S. and Bell, L.N. (2009), Kinetics of an Acid-Base Catalyzed Reaction (Aspartame Degradation) as Affected by Polyol-Induced Changes in Buffer pH and pKa Values. Journal of Food Science, 74: C56–C61. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01015.x
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 9 DEC 2008
- MS 20080533 Submitted 7/16/2008, Accepted 10/1/2008
- 1991a. Aspartame degradation kinetics as affected by pH in intermediate and low moisture food systems. J Food Sci 56:17–20. , .
- 1991b. Potential pH implications in the freeze-dried state. Cryo-Letters 12:235–44. , .
- 1992. Compositional influence on the pH of reduced-moisture solutions. J Food Sci 57:732–4. , .
- 1995. Aspartame degradation in solution as impacted by buffer type and concentration. J Agric Food Chem 43(10):2608–12. , .
- 1980. Analytical chemistry. 3rd ed. New York : John Wiley & Sons. 643 p. .
- 2006. Buffer pH and pKa values as affected by added glycerol and sucrose. Food Res Int 39:342–8. , .
- 1986. Chemical stability of pharmaceuticals. 2nd ed. New York : John Wiley & Sons. p 208–20. , , .
- 1972. Chemistry of thiamine degradation: mechanism of thiamine degradation in model system. J Food Sci 37:886–8. , .
- 1996. Food browning and its prevention: an overview. J Agric Food Chem 44:631–53. .
- 1988. Aspartame decomposition and epimerization in the diketopiperazine and dipeptide products as a function of pH and temperature. J Org Chem 53(12):2757–64. , .
- 1991. pH measurement: fundamentals, methods, applications, instrumentation. Weinheim : VCH. 356 p. .
- 1984. Properties and stability of aspartame. Food Tech 38(7):50–5. .
- 197879. Thermal decomposition and colour formation in aqueous sucrose solutions. Sugar Technol Rev 6:1–48. , .
- 1983. Reaction kinetics and accelerated tests simulation as function of temperature. In: SaguyI, editor. Computer-aided techniques in food technology. New York : Marcel Dekker, Inc. p 71–115. , .
- 2008. Food additives. In: DamodaranS, ParkinKL, FennemaOR, editors. Fennema's food chemistry. 4th ed. Boca Raton , Fla. : CRC Press. p 689–749. .
- 2001. A review of Maillard reaction in food and implications to kinetic modeling. Trends Food Sci Technol 11:364–73. , , .
- 1992. Effect of electrolytes on the kinetics of thiamine loss in model systems of high water activity. Food Chem 45:19–23. , , .
- 1994. pH measurement and control. 2nd ed. Triangle Research Park , N.C. : Instrument Society of America. 304 p. .
- 2004. Effect of pH, counter ion, and phosphate concentration on the glass transition temperature of freeze-dried sugar-phosphate mixtures. Pharm Res 21:1615–21. , , , .
- 2000. Aspartame degradation study using electrospray ionization mass spectrophotometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 14:987–93. , .
- 1974. Buffers for pH and metal ion control. London , U.K. : Chapman and Hall. 176 p. , .
- 1986. Kinetics of decomposition of aspartame hydrochloride (Usal) in aqueous solutions. J Food Sci 51(6):1393–7, 1415. , , , .
- 1985. Reactivity of sorbic acid and glycerol in non-enzymatic browning in liquid intermediate moisture model systems. Food Chem 18:71–80. , .
- 1993. Demethylation kinetics of aspartame and L-phenylalanine methyl ester in aqueous solutions. Pharm Res 10(8):1174–80. , .
- 1975. Investigating alternative humectants for use in foods. Food Prod Devel 9(9):75–88. , .
- 1989. An ion-pair high performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of aspartame and its decomposition products. J Food Sci 54(4):1043–6. , .
- 1991. Accelerated kinetic study of aspartame degradation in the neutral pH range. J Food Sci 56(6):1671–5. , .
- 1978. pH measurements. New York : Academic Press. 172 p. .