In vitro Digestibility and Glycemic Response of Potato Starch is Related to Granule Size and Degree of Gelatinization
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages E34–E38, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Parada, J. and Aguilera, . J. M. (2009), In vitro Digestibility and Glycemic Response of Potato Starch is Related to Granule Size and Degree of Gelatinization. Journal of Food Science, 74: E34–E38. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01016.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2008
- MS 20080550 Submitted 7/24/2008, Accepted 10/3/2008
- 2005. Why food microstructure? J Food Eng 67:3–11. .
- 1996. Starch: nutritional aspects. In: EliassonAC, editor. Carbohydrates in food. New York : Marcel Dekker Inc. p 505–53. .
- 1994. Food properties affecting the digestion and absorption of carbohydrates. Am J Clin Nutr 59:699S–705S. , , , , .
- 2003. Glycemic load and chronic disease. Nutr Rev 61:S49–S55. .
- 2005. Dietary fibre, glycaemic response, and diabetes. Mol Nutr Food Res 49:560–70. .
- 1996. Effects of guar galactomannan on wheat bread microstructure and on the in vitro and in vivo digestibility of starch in bread. J Cereal Sci 24:151–60. , , , .
- 2008. The impact of freezing and toasting on the glycaemic response of white bread. Eur J Clin Nutr 62:594–9. , .
- 1977. Measurement of total and gelatinized starch by glucoamylase and o-toluidine reagent. Cereal Chem 54:429–37. , .
- 2002. Effect of small and large wheat starch granules on thermomechanical behavior of starch. Cereal Chem 79:286–93. , .
- 2006. Effect of partial gelatinization and retrogradation on the enzymatic digestion of waxy rice starch. J Cereal Sci 43:353–9. , , .
- 2003. Evaluation of the degree of starch gelatinization by a new enzymatic method. Starch/Stärke 55:403–9. , , .
- 1992. Classification and measurement of nutritionally important starch fractions. Eur J Clin Nutr 46:S33–S50. , , .
- 1999. Rapidly available glucose in foods: an in vitro measurement that reflects the glycemic response. Am J Clin Nutr 69:448–54. , , , , .
- FAO/WHO. 1998. Carbohydrates in human nutrition report of a joint FAO/WHO expert consultation. Rome : FAO.
- 2005. Glycemic index of potatoes commonly consumed in North America. J Am Diet Assoc 105:557–62. , , .
- 2000. The relevance of the glycaemic index to our understanding of dietary carbohydrates. Diabet Med 17:336–45. , .
- 2006. Determination of glycaemic index; some methodological aspects related to the analysis of carbohydrate load and characteristics of the previous evening meal. Eur J Clin Nutr 60:104–12. , , .
- 1988. Degree of starch gelatinization, digestion rate of starch in vitro, and metabolic response in rats. Am J Clin Nutr 47:1010–6. , , .
- 2003. Gelatinization and retrogradation of potato (Solanum tuberosum) starch in situ as assessed by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). Lebensm Wiss U Technol 36:735–41. , .
- 2007. Physico-chemical, rheological and structural properties of fractionated potato starches. J Food Eng 82:383–94. , , , .
- 2007. Slowly digestible starch—its structure and health implications: a review. Trend Food Sci Tech 18:346–55. , .
- 1980. Gelatinization of starch in backed products. J Food Sci 45:71–4. , .
- 2006. The physicochemical properties and in vitro digestibility of selected cereals, tubers and legumes grown in China. Food Chem 99:470–7. , , , , .
- 1984. Influence of time, temperature, moisture, ingredients, and processing conditions on starch gelatinization. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 20:249–73. .
- 2002. Parboiling of rice. Part II. Effect of hot soaking time on the degree of starch gelatinization. Int J Food Sci Tech 37:539–45. , , , .
- 2008. Factors affecting the digestibility of raw and gelatinized potato starches. Food Chem 110:465–70. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Health properties of resistant starch. Br Nutr Fundation Nutr Bull 30:27–54. .
- 2007. Food microstructure affects the bioavailability of several nutrients. J Food Sci 72:R21–R32. , .
- 2003. Effect of processing on nutritionally important starch fractions in rice varieties. Int J Food Sci Nutr 54:27–36. , .
- 2007. A new insight into the gelatinization process of native starches. Carbohydr Polym 67:511–29. , .
- 2003. Glycemic index of local foods and diets: the Mediterranean experience. Nutr Rev 61:56–60. , , .
- 2002. Gastrointestinal physiology and functions. Brit J Nutr 88:S159–S163. .
- 2004. Morphological, thermal, rheological and retrogradation properties of potato starch fractions varying in granule size. J Sci Food Agric 84:1241–52. , .
- 2007. Thermal, textural and cooking properties of spaghetti enriched with resistant starch. J Food Eng 81:476–84. , , .
- 2006. Microstructural changes of starch in cooked wheat grains as affected by cooking temperatures and times. Food Sci Technol Leb 39:528–33. , , , .
- 2005. Effect of starch granule structure, associated components and processing on nutritive value of cereal starch: a review. Anim Feed Sci Technol 122:303–20. , , .
- 2004. Starch structure and digestibility enzyme–substrate relationship. World Poultry Sci J 60:186–95. , , .
- 2002. Nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of dietary fiber enriched pasta. J Agric Food Chem 50:347–56. , , .
- 1980. Comparison of methods to determine starch gelatinization in bakery foods. Cereal Chem 57:242–8. , , , .
- 2004. Cereal grains, legumes and diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr 58:1443–61. , .
- 2003. Carbohydrate and the regulation of blood glucose and metabolism. Nutr Rev 61:40–8. .
- 2007. Physicochemical properties of starch obtained from Dioscorea nipponica makino comparison with other tuber starches. J Food Eng 82:436–42. , , , .