Species-Specific Effects of Sarcoplasmic Extracts on Lipid Oxidation in vitro
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages C73–C77, January/February 2009
How to Cite
Ramanathan, R., Konda, M.K.R., Mancini, R.A. and Faustman, C. (2009), Species-Specific Effects of Sarcoplasmic Extracts on Lipid Oxidation in vitro. Journal of Food Science, 74: C73–C77. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01021.x
- Issue online: 21 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2008
- MS 20080688 Submitted 9/8/2008, Accepted 10/8/2008
- 2003. Induction of myoglobin redox instability by adduction with 4-hydroxynonenal. Biochem 42:4398–405. , , , .
- 1993. In Proc. 39th ICoMST, Calgary , Canada ; S8 PO1 WP. , , .
- 2006. Small peptides (<5 kDa) found in ready-to-eat beef meat. Meat Sci 74:658–66. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay: direct measure of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration. Methods Enzymol 299:15–27. , .
- 1990. Effect of postmortem age of flounder sarcoplasmic reticulum on inhibition of enzymic lipid peroxidation by cytosol. J. Food Biochem 14:307–17. , , .
- 1958. Factors affecting the quality of prepackaged meat II. E. Determining the proportions of heme derivatives in fresh meat. Food Technol 12:65–77. , , .
- 1996. Growth and fresh meat quality characteristics of pigs supplemented with vitamin E. J Anim Sci 74:98–105. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Endogenous skeletal muscle antioxidants. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 34:403–26. , .
- 1997. Effect of oxidation products of phosphatidylcholine liposomes on oxymyoglobin oxidation. J Food Sci 62:709–12. , , .
- 1980. In: BannisterJV, HillHAO, editors. Chemical and biochemical aspects of superoxide and superoxide dismutase developments in biochemistry. New York : Elsevier—North Holland. Vol. 11A, 27 p. , .
- 1970. Carnosine and related substances in animal tissues. Comparative Biochem Phys 34:30 p. .
- 2001. Glutathion peroxidase activity, tissue and soluble Selenium content in beef and pork in relation to meat aging and pig RN phenotype. Food Chem 73:313–9. , , , .
- 1998. Minimizing rancidity in muscle foods. Food Technol 52(10):54–9. , .
- 1992. Lipid oxidation in muscle foods via redox iron. In: St. AngeloAJ, editor. Lipid oxidation in foods. American Chemical Society Symposium Series Vol. 500. Washington , D.C. : American Chemical Society. p 33–54. , .
- 1986. Radical scavenging properties of polyamines. Phytochem 25:367–71. , , , .
- 1996. Fatty acid content and composition of English beef, lamb and pork at retail. Meat Sci 42:443–56. , , , , .
- 1998. Beef quality update: the role for vitamin E. J Anim Sci 76:1019–26. , , , .
- 1998. Lipid oxidation. Dundee , Scotland : The Oil Press. p 187–225. .
- 1999. Antioxidant activity of mechanically separated pork extracts. Meat Sci 52:101–10. , , .
- 2001. Functional and molecular adaptations in skeletal muscle of myoglobin-mutant mice. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 281:C1487–94. , , , , , ., , .
- 1998. Effect of the dietary supplementation with vitamin E on color stability and lipid oxidation in packaged, minced pork. Meat Sci 48:265–73. , , .
- 1979. Influence of heme pigments, nitrite and non-heme iron on development of warmed-over flavor in cooked meats. J Agric Food Chem 27:838–42. , , , .
- 1997. Effects of dietary α-tocopheryl acetate supplementation on α-tocopherol deposition in porcine M. psoas major and M. longissimus dorsi and on drip loss, colour stability and oxidative stability of pork meat. Meat Sci 45:491–500. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Comparison of quality loss and changes in the glutathione antioxidant system in stored mackerel and bluefish muscle. J Agric Food Chem 44:1195–201. , , , , , .
- 1985. Initiation of membranal lipid oxidation by activated metmyoglobin and methemoglobin. ABB 237:314–21. , .
- 1986. Muscle membranal lipid peroxidation by an “iron redox cycle” system: initiation by oxy radicals and site-specific mechanism. J Agric Food Chem 34:506–10. , , .
- 1988. Catalytic “free” iron ions in muscle foods. J Agric Food Chem 36:415–7. , , .
- 1991. Lipid peroxidation of muscle food: the role of the cytosolic fraction. J Agric Food Chem 39:242–6. , , , .
- 2002. Volatile profiles, lipid oxidation and sensory characteristics of irradiated meat from different animal species. Meat Sci 61:257–65. , , .
- 1995. Dietary vitamin E supplementation and discoloration of pork bone and muscle following modified atmosphere packaging. Meat Sci 41:237–50. , , .
- 2005. Characterization of aqueous components in chicken breast muscle as inhibitors of hemoglobin-mediated lipid oxidation. J Agric Food Chem 53:767–75. , , .
- 1975. Effect of supplemental vitamin E in control of rancidity in poultry meat. Poult Sci 54:831–44. , , , , , .
- 2005. Mechanism of lipid oxidation in meat and meat products—a review. Food Sci Biotechnol 14:152–63. , .
- 2008. Endogenous factors affecting oxidative stability of beef loin, pork loin, and chicken breast and thigh meats. J Food Sci 73(6):C439–46. , , , .
- 2003. Lipolysis and lipid oxidation during chilled storage of meat from large white and pietrain pigs. Meat Sci 64:7–12. , , , , .
- 1990. Chapter 2. Preparation of liposomes. New York : IRL Press. 33 p. .
- 1988. Components contributing to the improvement of meat taste during storage. Agric Biol Chem 52(9):2323–30. , , , .
- 2001. Effect of dietary α-tocopherol supplementation on color and lipid stability in pork. Meat Sci 58:389–93. , ; , , , .
- 1987. Lipid oxidation in retail beef, pork and chicken muscles as affected by concentrations of heme pigments and nonheme iron and microsomal enzymic lipid peroxidation activity. J Food Biochem 11:1–15. , .
- 1996. Lipid oxidation potential of beef, chicken, and pork. J Food Sci 61:8–12. , , .
- 2000. Lipid oxidation in a chicken muscle model system: oxidative response of lipid classes to iron ascorbate or methemoglobin catalysis. J Agric Food Chem 48:1421–6. , , .
- 2006. Redox instability induced by 4-Hydroxy-2-nonenal in porcine and bovine myoglobins, at pH 5.6 4°C. J Agric Food Chem 54:3402–8. , , . .
- 2007. Proteomics of lipid-oxidation induced oxidation of porcine and bovine oxymyoglobins. Proteomics 7:628–40. , , . .
- 2003. The effect of glutathione on oxymyoglobin oxidation. J Agric Food Chem 51:1691–5. , , , .
- 1995. Lipoxygenase in sweet corn germ: isolation and physicochemical properties. J Food Sci 60:1029–33, 1040. , .
- 1985. Metmyoglobin and inorganic metals as pro-oxidants in raw and cooked muscle systems. Meat Sci 15:107–16. , .
- 1993. The influence of temperature, pH and phospholipid composition upon the stability of myoglobin and phospholipid: a liposome model. J Agric Food Chem 41:853–7. , .
- 1994. The influence of microsomal and cytosolic components on the oxidation of myoglobin and lipid in vitro. Food Chem 51:159–64. , .
- 1998. Identification of hydrazine in commercial preparations of carnosine and its influence on carnosine's antioxidative properties. Anal Biochem 261:79–86. , , , .