Both authors contributed equally to this study and are considered co-senior authors.
Formation of Trans Fatty Acids in Ground Beef and Frankfurters due to Irradiation
Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
No claim to original US government works Journal compilation © 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 2, pages C79–C84, March 2009
How to Cite
Fan, X. and Kays, S.E. (2009), Formation of Trans Fatty Acids in Ground Beef and Frankfurters due to Irradiation. Journal of Food Science, 74: C79–C84. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01024.x
Mention of trade names or commercial products in this publication is solely for the purpose of providing specific information and does not imply recommendation or endorsement by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
- MS 20080575 Submitted 7/29/2008, Accepted 10/9/2008
- 2006. Gas-liquid chromatographic method for analyzing complex mixtures of fatty acids including conjugated linoleic acids (cis9trans11 and trans10cis12 isomers) and long chain (n-3 or n-6) polyunsaturated fatty acids; application to the intramuscular fat of beef meat. J Chromatog A 1110:133–1. , , , .
- AOAC. 2002. Fat (total, saturated, unsaturated, and monosaturated) in cereal products: acid hydrolysis capillary gas chromatographic. AOAC official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Method 996.01. Arlington , Va. : AOAC.
- 1998. Trans fatty acids in dairy and meat products from 14 European countries: the TRANSFAIR study. J Food Comp Ana 11:150–60. , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of irradiation on trans fatty acids formation in ground beef. Radio Phys Chem 63:337–40. , , .
- 2007. Effect of low dose gamma irradiation on beef quality and fatty acid composition of beef intramuscular lipid. Meat Sci 75:423–31. , , , , , .
- 1998. Fatty acid content and composition of UK beef and lamb muscle in relation to production system and implications for human nutrition. Meat Sci 49:329–41. , , , , , .
- 2006. Irradiated ground beef for national school lunch program. In: SommersCH, FanX, editors. Food irradiation research and technology. Ames , Iowa : IFT Press/Blackwell Publishing. p 237–48. .
- 2006. Effect of ionizing radiation on the formation of furan in ready-to-eat products and their ingredients. J Food Sci 71:C407–12. , .
- [FDA] Food and Drug Administration. 2000. Notice, Federal Register. 65:493.
- 2003. Combined effects of irradiation and the use of natural antioxidants on the shelf-life stability of overwrapped minced beef. Meat Sci 63:433–40. , , , , .
- [FSIS] Food Safety Inspection Service. 1999. Irradiation of meat food products. Federal Register 64:72149–66.
- 2003. cis–trans-Isomerization of unsaturated fatty acids during γ−irradiation of barley grains. Radio Phys Chem 67:105–13. , , .
- 2005. Dietary levels of trans fatty acids: basis for health concerns and industry efforts to limit use. Nutr Res 25:499–513. .
- 2002. Irradiation-induced oxidative changes and production of volatile compounds in sausages prepared with vitamin E-enriched commercial soybean oil. Food Chem 76:299–305. , , .
- 2006. Effect of radiation processing of lamb meat on its lipids. Food Chem 97:80–6. , , .
- 2007. ATR-Fourier-transform mid-infrared spectroscopy for determination of trans fatty acids in ground cereal products without oil extraction. J Agric Food Chem 55:4327–33. , , .
- 2003. The antioxidant effect of natural substances on lipids during irradiation of chicken legs. J Am Oil Chem Soc 80:679–84. , , , .
- 1998. Study of trans fatty acid content in commercial foods in Japan. III. Meats and meat products. J Japan Oil Chem Soc 47:495–9. , , , , , .
- 2002. Combined effect of gamma irradiation, ascorbic acid, and edible coating on the improvement of microbial and biochemical characteristics of ground beef. J Food Prot 65:981–7. , , , , .
- 1997. Intake of fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease in a cohort of Finnish men. Am J Epid 145:876–87. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Positional and geometrical isomers of linoleic acid in partially hydrogenated oils. J Am Oil Chem Soc 69:95–105. , .
- 2006. Evaluation of the CP-Sil 88 and SP-2560 GC columns used in the recently approved AOCS official method Ce 1h-05: Determination of cis-, trans-, saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fatty acids in vegetable or non-ruminant animal oils and fats by capillary GLC method. J Am Oil Chem Soc 83:475–88. , , .
- USDA. 1995. Fat and fatty acid content of selected foods containing trans fatty acids. USDA. ARS. Nutrient Data Laboratory. Available from: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Other/trans_fa.pdf. Accessed Jan 25, 2008.
- 2007. Effects of gamma irradiation on trans fatty acid composition in ground beef. Food Control 18:635–8. , .