An Improved Method of Microencapsulation of Probiotic Bacteria for Their Stability in Acidic and Bile Conditions during Storage
Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
© 2008 Institute of Food Technologists®
Journal of Food Science
Volume 74, Issue 2, pages M53–M61, March 2009
How to Cite
Ding, W.K. and Shah, N.P. (2009), An Improved Method of Microencapsulation of Probiotic Bacteria for Their Stability in Acidic and Bile Conditions during Storage. Journal of Food Science, 74: M53–M61. doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.01030.x
- Issue published online: 16 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 29 DEC 2008
- MS 20080302 Submitted 4/22/2008, Accepted 10/20/2008
- 2000. Viability of microencapsulated bifidobacteria in set yoghurt during refrigerated storage. J Dairy Sci 83:1946–51. , , , .
- 1999. Microstructure of Ca alginate microcapsules with or without encapsulated Bifidobacterium lactis using cold-stage scanning electron microscopy. Scanning 21:118–9. , , , .
- 2008. Microstructural studies of probiotic bacteria-loaded alginate microcapsules using standard electron microscopy techniques and anhydrous fixation. LWT - Food Sci Technol 41:101–8. , , .
- 2004. Developing functional foods using red palm olein. IV. Tocopherols and tocotrienols. Food Chem 85:579–83. , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Immobilized growing lactic acid bacteria with k-carrageenan-locust bean gum gel. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 29:11–8. , , .
- 2004. Effect of cryoprotectants, prebiotics and microencapsulation on survival of probiotic organisms in yoghurt and freeze-dried yoghurt. Food Res Int 39:203–11. , , .
- 1993. Production of concentrated suspensions of thermophilic lactic acid bacteria in calcium-alginate beads. Int Dairy J 3:257–75. , , .
- 1997. Viability of yogurt and probiotic bacteria in yoghurts made from commercial starter cultures. Int Dairy J 7:31–41. , .
- 2007. Acid, bile, and heat tolerance of free and microencapsulated probiotic bacteria. J Food Sci 72:446–50. , .
- 2004. Technologies with free and immobilosed cells for probiotic bifidobacteria production and protection. Int Dairy J 15:973–88. , .
- 2002. Bile salts, intestinal microflora and enterohepatic circulation. Digest Liver Dis 34:54–57. .
- 1992. Probiotics: the scientific basis. London : Chapman & Hall. .
- 1990. Health and nutritional benefits from lactic acid bacteria. FEMS Microbiol 87:175–88. .
- 1977. Instability of Lactobacillus acidophilus in yoghurt. J Dairy Sci 60:1394–8. , .
- 1998. Protein release from alginatematrices. Advanced Drug Delivery Rev 31:276–85. , .
- 1998. Probiotics. Int J Food Microbiol 39:237–8. , .
- 1999. Improving viability of bifidobacteria by microentrapment and their effect on some pathogenic bacteria in stirred yoghurt. Acta Alimentaria 28:113–31. , .
- 1997. Encapsulation of lactic acid bacteria with alginate/starch capsules. Biotechnol Technol 11:31–4. , , .
- 2003. Review: evaluation of encapsulation techniques of probiotics for yogurt. Int Dairy J 13:3–13. , , .
- 2004. The influence of coating materials on some properties of alginate beads and survivability of microencapsulated probiotic bacteria. Int Dairy J 14:737–43. , , .
- 1994. Microencapsulation of Lactococcus lactis ssp. cremoris. J. Microencapsulation 11:189–95. , , .
- 2004. Immunomodulatory and antitumor effects in vivo by the cytoplasmic fraction of Lactobacillus casei and Bifidobacterium longum. J Vet Sci 5:41–8. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Acid and bile tolerance and cholesterol removal ability of Lactobacilli strains. J Dairy Sci 88:55–6. , .
- 1992. The human gastrointestinal tract. In: WoodBJB, editor. The lactic acid bacteria. The lactic acid bacteria in health and disease, Vol. 1. London, U.K. : Elsevier. p 69–144. .
- 2006. Deconjugation and bile salts hydrolase activity by Bifidobacterium strains with acquired resistance to bile. Int Dairy J 16:850–55. , , , , .
- 1998. The health effects of cultured milk products with viable and non-viable bacteria. Int Dairy J 8:749–58. , .
- 1991. Immobilization of hybridoma cells in chitosan alginate beads. Canadian J Chem Eng 69:439–43. , , , .
- 1985. A scanning electron microscopy study of microencapsulation. J Food Sci 50:139–44. , , .
- 1999. Probiotics. Food Technol 53:67–77. .
- 1990. Survival of lactic acid bacteria and their lactases under acidic conditions. J Food Sci 55:506–9. , .
- 1997. Improving viability of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium spp. in yogurt. Int Dairy J 7:349–56. , .
- 2000. Microencapsulation of probiotic bacteria and their survival in frozen fermented dairy desserts. Aust J Dairy Technol 55:41–45. , .
- 1993. Microentrapment of lactobacilli in calcium alginate gels. J Food Sci 54:557–61. , .
- 2000. Encapsulation of probiotic bacteria with alginate-starch and evaluation of survival in simulated gastro-intestinal conditions and in yoghurt. Int J Food Microbiol 62:47–55. , , , , , .
- 2002. Survival of Ca-alginate microencapsulated Bifidobacterium spp. in milk and simulated gastrointestinal conditions. Food Microbiol 19:35–45. , , , .